Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
I've run into a couples with Tiffin's and Newmar's and we we sharing some of the similar issues/concerns/failures! We did look at those as well and Winnebago, HR and several others. The slightly used 2018 Palazzo was the choice - in retrospect.... While some of the issues might be avoided, I'm guessing they have better QC, but most likely still have about the same pay scale for the workers putting these units together.

Now if I were to buy a Prevost....

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Long and Winding,
I just read in the Air Force Times (04/15/19-04/22/19 issue) a short article "KC-46 Woes: The Air Force has once again halted deliveries of the KC-46 Pegasus tanker from Boeing after more foreign object debris was found in some closed compartments of the aircraft. Air Force leaders are meeting with Boeing to approve more corrective actions."
Looks like leftover pieces (FOD) can even be found in billion dollar projects. Pride in what one makes starts with the individual craftsman...be it in the Aero-Tech world or in RV Construction by near minimum wage workers.
Not sure how to prevent a lack of Pride!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #24

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Florida
THOR #4028
Thor Quantum

I purchased a 2017 Quantum rs26 in April of 2016. After 3 years and 32,000 miles my house batteries died and had to be replaced. Other than that we have had little to gripe about but I do see some somewhat shoddy construction but nothing that I can't deal with. We love the interior trim and cabinetry and there hasn't been a road we haven't been able to navigate. Boondocking for a few days has never been a problem and being retired and not being in a hurry makes the backroads our preferred route of travel. We have made many trips from South Florida to Virginia without ever getting on the Interstate which is the best way to enjoy this great country of ours!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I purchased a 2017 Quantum rs26 in April of 2016. After 3 years and 32,000 miles my house batteries died and had to be replaced. Other than that we have had little to gripe about but I do see some somewhat shoddy construction but nothing that I can't deal with. We love the interior trim and cabinetry and there hasn't been a road we haven't been able to navigate. Boondocking for a few days has never been a problem and being retired and not being in a hurry makes the backroads our preferred route of travel. We have made many trips from South Florida to Virginia without ever getting on the Interstate which is the best way to enjoy this great country of ours!

Happy news. Keep enjoying your ride!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: California
THOR #791
I understand getting what you pay for. Since I purchased a new Hurricane 32A and spent only 87,000 does that mean I deserve a room cut-out that is not square and causing me all kinds of money and headaches with the slide not working as it should?
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee
Roadmaster F & R Sways, Safe-T-Plus, Koni's
hexrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #27

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I too spent in the $80's for my first coach last year. When I tell people (non-RV'ers) the issues I've had, they can't believe the problems on a new rig and how much money I have spent to fix the suspension and other items to make it the way it should have been when it left the factory.

I read this forum and others in depth last year before my purchase and I almost got cold feet and pulled the plug on buying my Outlaw 29H after reading all of the issues people have, the weeks and months spent at dealers getting resolved, etc.

I don't regret getting a coach or buying a Thor even with the issues and extra expense to make it right. I am fortunate that I can fix 70% of what needs to be done.

I will say this about Thor..... their customer service seems to be excellent.

My dealer is about 5 hours away and after picking up my rig after an extensive repair list back in late February while it is stlll under warranty, I got home to two new problems the dealer should have caught before I picked it up.

The levelers were giving a Jacks Down alarm and the hot water tank was also displaying an alarm. I decided to try and tackle both issues on my own versus waiting weeks got another appointment and driving 10 hours round trip to the dealer.

After troubleshooting both issues, I found the Pressure Switch on the Levelers was bad. I ordered one on Amazon and it fixed the Jacks Down problem. The Girard tankless water heater turned out to be a blower motor issue.

I emailed Thor customer service and asked to be reimbursed for the Pressure Switch ($120) and the parts to fix the hot water tank. It took about 2 weeks to get a response from Thor but they agreed to reimburse me and send me parts for the hot water tank. That is what I will call excellent customer service.

It is a shame that this is what we have to deal with but I have quickly learned this is the way RV life is going to be. I do tell my wife I don't know what people do who are not mechanically inclined or in their 70's when faced with these issues. They either lose use of their coach for weeks / months and they end up spending a lot of money out of pocket.

I'm in my mid-50's so I was still able to crawl around under the rig to upgrade the sway bars, steering stabilizer and add SumpSprings. My body felt it for a couple days. I won't be doing that in my 70's!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #28

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Thanks Judge, we do a lot of Thor bashing on this forum, but few(as far as I can tell) stop RVing. Some may move to other manufacturers and I'll guess have a forum similar to this with similar complaints. Like you I can do a lot of the repairs and corrective actions myself and will continue to do that until the body says stop - oil changes, battery stuff and plumbing and water issues I'll handle - until the issue gets more expensive then the dealer run and the deductible - then it goes in. The chassis and engine stuff goes to the Freightliner guys in Raleigh right away and they are fantastic - get you in, get it done and get you out.
My new take on this Easter morning is to accept what I can't change - Mfg quality and I'm going to try to post corrective actions or upgrades that might help others. Yes I will still have issues I'm sure, but seeing others having the same issue does not fix the quality or the problem. I'm sure Thor looks at this site and if not, shame on them, but we can't rebuild these units we have.
We bought what we bought, and have what we have fair? NOPE, but we could all stop RVing and quit enjoying the amazing journeys we take or not connect with incredibly smart and helpful friends that we are making as we use this site and travel the roads of this country. Breakdowns will occur and I will be frustrated with Thor and every component manufacturer but I'm still out there enjoying nature and time with my wife and new friend we meet! Hopefully we will all show up at a rally and toast to our good fortune of having the ability to have and use these units! I'm not going back to a TENT!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Thanks Judge, we do a lot of Thor bashing on this forum, but few(as far as I can tell) stop RVing. Some may move to other manufacturers and I'll guess have a forum similar to this with similar complaints. Like you I can do a lot of the repairs and corrective actions myself and will continue to do that until the body says stop - oil changes, battery stuff and plumbing and water issues I'll handle - until the issue gets more expensive then the dealer run and the deductible - then it goes in. The chassis and engine stuff goes to the Freightliner guys in Raleigh right away and they are fantastic - get you in, get it done and get you out.

My new take on this Easter morning is to accept what I can't change - Mfg quality and I'm going to try to post corrective actions or upgrades that might help others. Yes I will still have issues I'm sure, but seeing others having the same issue does not fix the quality or the problem. I'm sure Thor looks at this site and if not, shame on them, but we can't rebuild these units we have.

We bought what we bought, and have what we have fair? NOPE, but we could all stop RVing and quit enjoying the amazing journeys we take or not connect with incredibly smart and helpful friends that we are making as we use this site and travel the roads of this country. Breakdowns will occur and I will be frustrated with Thor and every component manufacturer but I'm still out there enjoying nature and time with my wife and new friend we meet! Hopefully we will all show up at a rally and toast to our good fortune of having the ability to have and use these units! I'm not going back to a TENT!

Lovely attitude! Happy Easter!
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #30

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Tell me about the use of drywall screws lol, in my 2016 Axis 25.2 & after bringing it home from the Ocala buyer beware location decided to check the engine battery right: flipping screws were 2 inches too long, anyway, this was our 8th RV and the construction was hilarious, however the price point was great and I love the V10 chassis, just jeep it around 63 mph and she'll stay in her own lane. Happy Easter folks