Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Help! I got my TPMS just in time for my 1st flat tire...

I worried about this happening all year. I'm a solo rv'er & disabled vet, so I knew how important it was to practice good tire maintenance. I thought I had planned for contingencies. To help out with maintenance I finally managed to add an RVi TPMS to my rig yesterday (I already had the RVi Brake 3 which I really like). I pulled into another military fam camp (this one far from a truck stop or service center) & added my new system.

The 1st thing I noticed (no joke!), was that my front right tire was down to 38 psi from it's normal 82. I apparently got my handy dandy TPMS just one drive too late!

Now I'm kind of stumped. I have roadside assistance (no idea if they can access base security here), but what will that resolve without a tire to replace it with? I can take my toad & go purchase the proper replacement, but then how the heck do I mount it?

I think I failed to take scenarios like this one into consideration. I'm hoping all you guys who have bailed me out of trouble before can give me some good ideas on how to resolve my latest predicament.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Old 12-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #2

THOR #13770
Oops, I'm frazzled. That's my front left tire...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
I worried about this happening all year. I'm a solo rv'er & disabled vet, so I knew how important it was to practice good tire maintenance. I thought I had planned for contingencies. To help out with maintenance I finally managed to add an RVi TPMS to my rig yesterday (I already had the RVi Brake 3 which I really like). I pulled into another military fam camp (this one far from a truck stop or service center) & added my new system.

The 1st thing I noticed (no joke!), was that my front right tire was down to 38 psi from it's normal 82. I apparently got my handy dandy TPMS just one drive too late!

Now I'm kind of stumped. I have roadside assistance (no idea if they can access base security here), but what will that resolve without a tire to replace it with? I can take my toad & go purchase the proper replacement, but then how the heck do I mount it?

I think I failed to take scenarios like this one into consideration. I'm hoping all you guys who have bailed me out of trouble before can give me some good ideas on how to resolve my latest predicament.

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Old 12-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You're not the first person with a low tire on base.
Ask an mp about their protocol. They likely just waive the truck through the gate and give them directions.

I'm going to suggest a compressor. They're light and cheap and will take your tire from 38 to 82psi in ten minutes. They'll take you from 77 to 82psi in about three minutes.

Almost any 12v or 110v little compressor will do fine.

I prefer this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P731-Fu...846286&sr=8-11

Because it uses the same batteries as 150 other ryobi tools AND you hook it to your tire, set the pressure you want, hit a button and walk away. It turns itself off when the pressure reaches what you told it to. No cords to drag around, no generator to turn on so you'll have 110v. Nothing squirelly, just a tire filled. I'm thinking this compressor and battery weighs in at between two and three pounds. It's the size of a five pound bag of flour, but weighs much less.

If you had one now, your low tire wouldn't have been a thing.

Home depot carries the compressor and battery.

I carry one.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #4

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Check tire size on your tire call and tell them what size you need they should bring you a tire an remove and install new tire on your rim. Talk to security see if they will check out tire guy and meet him at gate and he could follow you to your rig .
Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Normally roadside assistance is allowed on post for a short term. Also, see if another camper has a compressor handy.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #6

THOR #13770
Hi Duckface; I bought that exact model & am charging it now to see what it will do. I remembered you had recommended it earlier. I tried it with a partial charge a little while ago & only managed to drop another 8 psi down. Checking with the SPs (in this case) at the gate is definitely on my list for how to bring in help. Thanks for the quick reply & I'll let you know how well the Ryobi does once I've charged it fully per the directions I managed to skip over...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You're not the first person with a low tire on base.
Ask an mp what they do. They likely just waive the truck through the gate.

I'm going to suggest a compressor. They're light and cheap and will take your tire from 38 to 82psi in ten minutes.

Almost any 12v or 110v little compressor will do fine.

I prefer this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P731-Fu...846286&sr=8-11

Because it uses the same batteries as 150 other ryobi tools AND you hook it to your tire, set the pressure you want, hit a button and walk away. It turns itself off when the pressure reaches what you told it to. No cords to drag around, no generator to turn on so you'll have 110v. Nothing squirelly, just a tire filled.

If you had one now, your low tire wouldn't have been a thing.

Home depot carries the compressor and battery.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #7

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Just to get things straight. Tire pressure was ok when you installed the TPMS sensors? If so then the leak apparently happened on your way to the FAM camp. Check to make sure the sensor is not leaking at the front left tire.

If it is then that solves that. Get compressor and refill. If not then you probably picked up a nail or something.

If so...

I would check with Base security and let them know what the problem is and if its ok to call your roadside co. Call them and see what they say.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:29 PM   #8

THOR #13932
One more thing :
When you get near a store buy a valve core wrench.
It can be the odd looking valve stem caps with the little fork on the end or it can be a real tool. Either way they're a dollar or so.

My constantly, airing up weekly low tire was a loose valve core. It's a common thing. Just snug is enough.
It's a pretty self explanatory tool. Put the forked end in the hole, the fork goes on either side of the core, tighten to snug. Replace any valve stem with it and it's always right where you need it. You only need one.

The picture is my valve core tool on my tpms sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1208191626.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	21763  
Old 12-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #9

THOR #13770
Hi Grizz;. Nope. I pulled into the fam camp 1st & then opened up my new toys here. Put them on & saw the 38 psi (now 30). I had also just opened up my new Ryobi compressor that Duckface had suggested a while back. There doesn't appear to be a leak at the sensor. I can't see any tire damage or screws in the tread or side walls from my limited point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Just to get things straight. Tire pressure was ok when you installed the TPMS sensors? If so then the leak apparently happened on your way to the FAM camp. Check to make sure the sensor is not leaking at the front left tire.

If it is then that solves that. Get compressor and refill. If not then you probably picked up a nail or something.

If so...

I would check with Base security and let them know what the problem is and if its ok to call your roadside co. Call them and see what they say.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #10

THOR #13932
My ryobi compressor, batteries(multiple) and charger are in that ryobi bag, next to my 3 gallon ryobi wet/dry vacuum. Both live in the 24.1 full time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1208191634.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	21766  
Old 12-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #11

THOR #13770
Mine doesn't have an opening at the top of the TPMS to thread a tool or cap. Did I misunderstand you?
Quote:
One more thing :
When you get near a store buy a valve core wrench.
It can be the odd looking valve stem caps with the little fork on the end or it can be a real tool. Either way they're a dollar or so.

My constantly, airing up weekly low tire was a loose valve core. It's a common thing. Just snug is enough.
It's a pretty self explanatory tool. Put the forked end in the hole, the fork goes on either side of the core, tighten to snug. Replace any valve stem with it and it's always right where you need it. You only need one.

The picture is my valve core tool on my tpms sensor.

Name:	1575848275031.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	21765
Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Yours tpms are different than mine.
Just keep the valve core tool in your tool box. You'll still need a valve core tool.
The caps you have are the caps I have on my pickup trucks.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #13

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Quote:
Hi Grizz;. Nope. I pulled into the fam camp 1st & then opened up my new toys here. Put them on & saw the 38 psi (now 30). I had also just opened up my new Ryobi compressor that Duckface had suggested a while back. There doesn't appear to be a leak at the sensor. I can't see any tire damage or screws in the tread or side walls from my limited point of view.

Oh Ok. I'd keep an eye on that tire. if you normally run 82 and it was at 38 that is a lot of air to lose.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Mine doesn't have an opening at the top of the TPMS to thread a tool or cap. Did I misunderstand you?Attachment 21765
The picture is not a flow through sensor so they have to be removed whenever tire pressure requires a change. A pass through sensor allows you to increase or decrease tire pressure without removing the sensor. If you look at this system it has flow through sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Sensor-S...e%2C144&sr=1-6
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 AM   #15

THOR #13770
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The picture is not a flow through sensor so they have to be removed whenever tire pressure requires a change. A pass through sensor allows you to increase or decrease tire pressure without removing the sensor. If you look at this system it has flow through sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Sensor-S...e%2C144&sr=1-6
Old 12-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #16

THOR #13932
Are you cured?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #17

THOR #13770
Not quite, but I'm getting therr. I have someone coming in to help later this week. Till then I'm in a decent place to hang around & enjoy the scenery. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Wish I had known about pass thru guages before I got mine but at least I have them now & I sure know they work, lol...
Quote:
Are you cured?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #18

THOR #13932
Also:

Don't expect your tpms to be within better than five pounds or so of your Guage.

It's a religion on this forum to chase psi to the ounce.
The tpms is a warning device. It warned you of the 38psi.
It is not a tire pressure Guage.
Mine is off by five pounds. To some here that would be the end of the world and they'd sell their rv.

I know it's off five pounds. I'm looking for a differential between tires as a warning, not a confirmation of my exact tire pressure.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Not having pass through sensors is not a problem. As Duckface said they only warn you of a problem. I bought a good tire pressure gauge and use that to set the pressure. And yes my tpms reads a little different.

Good luck with your tire

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:59 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #1469
Not sure what TPMS the OP has but the Tire Minder is accurate to plus or minus 3 percent. Tire Minder's pressure gauges are accurate to within plus or minus 1 pound. Not sure you can find anything more accurate. I will tell you they are pricey. You will not get one of their gauges for 5 or 10 dollars.

This is the gauge I use

https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Pr...950277&sr=8-16

I don't work for them but have used their products with great results for years.

BTW, personal decision for me was not to use pass through sensors even though they are available for my TPMS. When I get my valve stem extensions installed in a couple of weeks I may re-evaluate that decision.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote