Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Check engine

We have 1,500 miles on out Mercedes 3.0 and Check engine light came on

Old 08-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
Bring it it over to AutoZone or one of the chain type autoparts stores. Most will read the codes from the OBDII port and let you know what the code is.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #3

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Or stop by a MB dealer. 3,000 miles is all warranty work. I don't trust the yahoos at the auto parts stores to touch my stuff anyway...
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #10354
1500 miles

Probably a loose fuel cap. Unscrew and re-close the fuel cap and the problem may go away after a few starts.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
loose cap, or you may have let your DEF run too low... easy fix..... probably : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite FE22
State: Colorado
THOR #7521
When the Engine Check Light came on our new 2017 Thor Freedom Elite, I could not detect any difference in performance with 2017 Ford E450.

My concern was not knowing if the problem was serious or not.

It took some time to make an appointment with an authorized Ford mechanic for the warranty service. They could not replicate the problem or come up with a possible solution.

The error code was P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.

After doing some research on the Internet, I ordered a KOBRA Wireless OBD2 Car Code Reader from Amazon and purchased OBD Fusion for my iPhone. (The OBD Fusion is the software that will retrieve the code.)

Using my iPhone, I was able to access the code and determine it was the same problem the RV mechanic found.

After the third incident in about 5,000 miles, I decided to use Rislone Gas Fuel System Treatment to help eliminate possible water or moisture in the fuel tank. (Only time will tell if this makes any difference.)

Joe G. Rodriguez
2017 Freedom Elite Model FE22

Old 08-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
An OBD2 reader is a useful tool to have. In my first 8000 miles on my 2016 V-10 in my Axis, I had the engine light come on three times - always in high humidity conditions and after a heavy rain. The OBD2 gave me the same code for a CO2 sensor - and allowed me to zero out the engine light. It hasn’t happened in the last 16000 miles. I also have used the OBD2 to check and reset the engine check light in my Miata. Great peace of mind and time saver on the road or, if it continues to happen, that something really is wrong and needs to be looked at.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
THOR #4938
Hello everyone need some help I have a 2014 and class C 31l freedom elite and the other day my check engine light came on for a code reader on it and it said that had a random misfire cylinder six and nine so i installed
new coils and plugs it still didn’t clearly the problem so I went with the next thing so I changed out fuel injectors for cylinder six and I still have a same errors problem is the engine runs great but every once a while it will pick up a misfire and then I’ll get the same codes don’t know where to go next can anyone give me suggestions
Old 12-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Who told you what parts to change?
You can't parts cannon a misfire.
It could just as well be a milli volt problem as it is a mechanical problem.
Injection cleaner cures my injector problem every time, about 10,000 miles...light...3 bucks worth of injection cleaner... 10,000 miles.
Mine is a v6 with an inherent but rare(ish) spider problem. I could change injectors but it really isn't the injector. It's a build up in the spider.

What does a v10 specific forum say about it?
Old 12-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #10

THOR #4938
I did as troubleshooting the misfire had 60,000 miles on my RV so I figured it was time for plugs anyway I did go ahead and put some injector cleaner in the in the tank see what happens but so far nothing happened course I haven’t driven it very far since then
Old 12-09-2019, 09:14 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5526
I have a Thor Axis 24.1 2016. Can someone tell me exactly where the OBDII port is?? I have a gas cap icon set and I checked and closed the gas cap and it looks OK. I wanted to reset it and see if it comes on again.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #12

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It could reset itself in a few starts and miles if it was indeed the gas cap.

There's equipment to buy and many steps and a bit of knowledge between 'where's the obd" and clearing a code.
If the code doesn't go away I suggest a mechanic.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #13

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli22sli View Post
I have a Thor Axis 24.1 2016. Can someone tell me exactly where the OBDII port is?? I have a gas cap icon set and I checked and closed the gas cap and it looks OK. I wanted to reset it and see if it comes on again.

Thanks
In my 2016 Axis 24.1 the rectangular port is right next to the steering column below the plastic piece which hangs down. A mechanic told me my code should reset, but it never did. It is worth a try if it does not reset by itself.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Experience has taught me the following:
If you pull the engine battery disconnect (right above the accelerator pedal) without waiting the 10 minutes, as it says on the label, the ECM does not shut down properly. The next time you start the engine. The Check Engine light will come on and stay on. Shutting off the ignition, and back on again does not reset it. I shut off the engine, waited 10-15 minutes, disconnected the chassis battery, reconnected, started the engine, Check engine light was out.

Follow the directions on the label and ALWAYS wait at least 10 minutes before pulling the chassis battery disconnect.

IMO, and might be wrong, but I don't think the fuel cap being loose, affects diesels like gas engines, because there isn't an evaporative vapor recovery system. Diesel fuel is much less volatile than gas.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #15

THOR #4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones3211 View Post
I did as troubleshooting the misfire had 60,000 miles on my RV so I figured it was time for plugs anyway I did go ahead and put some injector cleaner in the in the tank see what happens but so far nothing happened course I haven’t driven it very far since then

I need more help now
the fuel injector cleaner didn’t fix my problem now I have a new problem my RV is stuck in Defuniak Springs Florida I cannot find a certified mechanic to help me The RV places only work on the house portion of the motorhome and it seems like the ford dealerships says they can’t work on RVs so how do you find out who can work on them or is there anybody in that area that has a suggestion
Old 12-31-2019, 12:09 AM   #16

THOR #4938
Sorry currently my RV is parked at my sons house it has the same problem and it has a misfire it has a code P300 P306 and 309 I drove it from Macon Georgia down to defuniak Springs and it didn’t do real well driving it there and it was suggested not to try to drive it back so I’ve been trying to find a mechanic to check it out for me
Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
There is a thread on here called "Ford Dealers" I believe that has the answer to your question about how to find a Service Dealer for your coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote