Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 04:02 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The 2017 F550 chassis has DEF level on dash readout. Only gives a percentage but that's good enough. If it hasn't been covered in this thread, many RVers use the 2.5 gallon bottles inside the store vs. the bulk at the pump. If you're not full timing it's best to not keep the tank full. It has a shelf life and bad DEF can lead to serious and expensive problems. Look up the thread on hear labeled "DEF REGEN". Lots of good knowledge there.

My F550 has an actual gauge on the display that I can scroll to. Just like a gas gauge.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #42

Brand: DRV
Model: ES 38RSSA
State: Montana
THOR #5034
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdriver View Post
Thank you Laco for your response and explanation. I am only 2 weeks old with my Gemini... could you tell me the absolute need for Ultra low sulfur fuel vs Diesel 2? This Ultra low seems a little harder to find on a normal
All highway diesel is #2 ULS for moderate temps in the lower 48.
Off-road diesel or tractor fuel is only sold at limited outlets
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DEF_Cummins.pdf (267.8 KB, 44 views)
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-TXT, Yamaha-G22E, CC Precedent
mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 AM   #43

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Regarding DEF going bad, yes it does have a shelf life, which is kind of vaguely defined. I had mine serviced at the local MB dealer today, they tell me virtually the only problems they see, involve contaminated DEF, that has been contaminated by dirt, etc., and that, at least on the MB it should be topped off before the DEF light comes on, as it sometimes does not reset. With a real DEF gauge, monitoring Def levels are easily done from the dashboard display.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #44

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
The def pumps at truck stops have 3 different methods of preventing people from using the wrong nozzel for wrong tank.
The first is the pump has a valve inside the handle that works with the magnets in the def tank to allow flow of fluid,and second the def pump are alot smaller then the fuel, and 3rd they def handle are blue where the fuel handle are green.
Believe me I work on semi trucks as a certified after treatment technician and at least once a month we still have people who try to use water or washer fluid in the def or accidently put fuel in the def tank and all end up broke down because there is a def quality sensor in the def tank that sample the def fluid for urea concentration.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #45

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Bottom Line...don't use bulk DEF unless you're full timing or running a lot...even then you're more subject to contamination. It's better to use the sealed 2.5 gallon jugs, check the dates and don't keep the tank full if she sits for long periods of time.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote