Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Chemistry 101? Orange Tipped Propane Flame

I was once told that orange in the flame of your propane appliances is a bad thing (CO2 emissions). It only takes a quick Google search to verify.

The supposed cause is excess O2 in the mix due to too much gas pressure. The O2 is introduced because the high pressure does not allow the propane to completely burn off.

The supposed fix is to adjust the regulator down (reduce pressure) until it disappears. This is not working for me. The recommended pressure is 11" of wc. I don't have a manometer.

If we agree orange is a bad thing, two things:
1) Does anyone out there have another technique for correcting this?
2) There's a supposed sight glass on the furnace where the flame can be observed. Where can I find this so I can observe the flame there?

I know some will attest to hire a professional and I won't argue with that. I just wanted to test the knowledge base out here first. I once troubleshot my furnace down to the control board. Instead I paid a RV Tech to diagnose and fix the problem. Not only did the board cost more but he charged me $150 for his time. The job took 20m end-to-end - I already had the cover off and mounting screw removed. He buttoned it all back up.

Thanks for any insight you offer.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Most have an air diffuser that you can adjust as well
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #3

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Most have an air diffuser that you can adjust as well

Ok, where is it and what does it look like?
And once I find it how do I adjust it?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #4

THOR #6903
Look on your burner tube and be sure it us clear, no cobwebs, spiders and so on

Should be a set screw to loosen and then you can move the louver
Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
[QUOTE=lwmcguire;173034]Look on your burner tube and be sure it us clear, no cobwebs, spiders and so on. Should be a set screw to loosen and then you can move the louver[/QUOTE]
Good suggestion. Last fall, I was having orange flame on the front, bigger burner.I t was caused by spiderwebs. Simple problem, easy fix.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Ok, where is it and what does it look like?
And once I find it how do I adjust it?
This is what the one on the RV frig looks, but it the same on the water heater, furnace and stove.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: California
THOR #7571
I just want to bring this up, because it affects us in our sticks-and-bricks house. Are you running a humidifier? Houses are not normally run on propane, but my place (on natural gas) is greatly affected by the presence of a humidifier.

My stove is 800 feet away from the bedroom with the humidifier, but will run an orange flame if it has been running within the last 12 hours. Found lots of verification on the nets, made me quit worrying about my stove.

For some reason, the humidifier pumps molecules into the air that makes the flame run orange.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sespe View Post
I just want to bring this up, because it affects us in our sticks-and-bricks house. Are you running a humidifier? Houses are not normally run on propane, but my place (on natural gas) is greatly affected by the presence of a humidifier.

My stove is 800 feet away from the bedroom with the humidifier, but will run an orange flame if it has been running within the last 12 hours. Found lots of verification on the nets, made me quit worrying about my stove.

For some reason, the humidifier pumps molecules into the air that makes the flame run orange.
In one of our houses we have an open flame heater for a backup since it don't require power. When we run the large humidifier it also burns orange and it will also burn orange when the 1150 gallon tank is down in the 20% or less range which is when we typically have it refilled. Great point to bring up as it could be a factor. I would suspect this could be a factor if you have 50% or more natural humidity as well in the coach and outside in the ambient air.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #9

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sespe View Post

No, no humidifier here and I'm in Tucson AZ. It doesn't get much drier except maybe in Death Valley.

LC mentions low fuel. I have a newly filled tank using an extend-a-stay and it's still orange so that's not it?

I think I'll try Beau's suggestion however, that doesn't solve the furnace problem, if there is one. I can't find its sight glass to save my life.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
An orange flame means that the burner isn’t getting enough air. You can get a sooty flame, but the more dangerous problem is the incomplete combustion is producing carbon monoxide, which will kill you. Usually its a sign that the burner may be clogged up and air flow is being restricted. First thing to do is clean the burners and make sure that dirt, dust or insects haven’t clogged up the air ports.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 AM   #11

THOR #12189
It seems fine tonight and I didn't do anything except take the top off to look for the adjustment, which I don't have or don't see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190321_175918.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	16297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190321_180851.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	16298  

Tags
flame, orange, orange propane flame, propane