Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1199
Servicing house batteries

I have a 2012 Thor Daybreak FS30. The house batteries are 2 - 6 volt batteries located under the steps. How in the world do you service them? the top step opens and you can reach in and feel the batteries, but you can not see them to service them. No way to check the water or add water? HELP

Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Is there a drawer slide perhaps, that will allow you to somehow pull the while battery tray out?
As poorly designed as some elements in these coaches are, i can't believe that they would build the coach around the batteries.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

THOR #1199
Thank you so much for your response. I will crawl under the coach and see if i see anything. I bought the coach 3 months ago and the house batteries were already dead, or at least one of them was. i had both replaced and the service man said it took two guys 2 hours to replace them. I would think they would know if there was a slide.
I will keep looking.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #4

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
My sole battery is located under the entry steps, also. It is a 12 volt battery, and the original one sold with my 2013 Thor 31F. I've looked into its cells using a small LED flashlight and added distilled water until it came up to the full mark in each cell.
Can you not open the plastic rails that seal the cells, three on one side and three on the other? These plastic rails usually have to be pried up with a screw driver or something else pretty stiff. Be aware that the battery acid is potent, eating holes in fabric and harming skin and especially eyes. Wear safety glasses and chemically resistant gloves if you are cautious and far from access to water to wash off any splashed acid.
Charging coach batteries is usually handled by the shore power controller. I'm not sure if you could use a stand alone charger. Others will have to advise you on that matter.
John
Athens, Ga