Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #1742
class c bunk leak

We have a 2008 Four Winds Chateau 31' Class C. Absolutely love this coach. Runs great, no problems with anything but a water leak in our cab over bunk area that is getting worse. We re-sealed all the upper running lights, put in a new seal under the air conditioner, put in new inner seals in the front & side cap windows & pulled screws in side seams & caulked them, but still have water getting in. We are not finding water or any indication of water anywhere but in the bunk area. We finally took it to Camping World to have it pressure tested to find the leak. They said it was leaking in the 2 front cap windows so removed & re-installed them. We got it back but soon found it still leaking. Took it back to Camping World & they pressure tested it again. Without referring to our previous visit, they came up with the same problem-leaking from the front cap windows. They again removed & installed them again. 2 more pressure tests were done & they insisted the coach was no longer leaking so we picked it up. But, it is still leaking. I'm now reaching out to other class c owners. We cannot be the only ones with a major leak in the bunk area. I do not want to just watch my coach rot away. Has anyone out there had this problem, & if so, what did you do to correct the issue? We are getting desperate to get this fixed. Thank you in advance for any help, ideas, etc.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Can't help you with your specific problem, but it's been my experience (mostly with boats) is that the source of a leak is often far from the area you find wet. Even 5 or 10ft away.

If they recaulked the windows, what about the windows themselves? Are the window schlegels any good? is the window-to-frame seals OK?

I would climb on the roof and look at every caulk joint on the roof, including the vents, TV antenna, sidewall-to-roof transition, and anything that has a hole or screw through it.

Water could very well be finding a conduit from the roof or sidewall and run several feet from the source.

You can also look into purchasing a moisture meter, but the cheap ones are for woodworking, and might not be sensitive enough for your purpose.

A moisture meter typically used for surveying fiberglass boat hulls is what you want, such as the Tramex Skipper Plus. They typically cost several hundred dollars (but you probably have or soon will have that amount invested in Camping World). Perhaps you could also rent one. Even then, a moisture meter might not locate the problem.

If Camping World or any service tech you take your RV to does not use a moisture meter, I'd skip them and find one that does.

If you buy a meter, you would use it to try and find a high-moisture path from the leak area to it's source.

But I think I would first look at every caulk joint on the roof and even upper sides of the RV and re-caulk anything that even looks suspicious.

And if you find anything exposed like a screw in the top or side, without any caulking on it - often a screw under compression can wick water like crazy (again from my boating experience). I have seen boaters damage their fiberglass boats simply by installing canvas snaps on the hull for a cover without using any caulking.

And I have seen dozens of screws in RVs from the factory without any caulking. It's a wonder there are not more leaks. You should always caulk any screw put into the sidewall or roof of a RV - no exceptions.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #3

THOR #1742
Class C water leak

Thank you so much for your quick response to my post. We will definitely try what you suggested.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
Barb, does your motorhome have the big window across the front of the bunk bed? I've read many articles that is a major source for leaks especially with the angle of the front cap. I think most manufacturers have done away with the big front window because of this problem
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
When you say pressure tested can you be more specific? I had a Monaco DP pressure tested when they pressurized the coach from inside and sprayed soapy water on the outside to find the leak.
I would scrutinize the lap seam where the fiberglass cap meets the roof.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #6

THOR #1742
Class C water leak

Thanks to RMS31W & thor293 for your replies.
YES, the coach has the large window in the front cap. Both times Camping World tested it, they said the problem was that window. Both times they removed the window & re-installed & sealed the window. They aldo replaced the inner rubber seal on the outside.

The pressure test they did was called sealtech I believe. They said they seal it all up, fill it with air & I assume it's soapy water they used on the outside, but not sure.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #7

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Thanks to RMS31W & thor293 for your replies.
YES, the coach has the large window in the front cap. Both times Camping World tested it, they said the problem was that window. Both times they removed the window & re-installed & sealed the window. They aldo replaced the inner rubber seal on the outside.

The pressure test they did was called sealtech I believe. They said they seal it all up, fill it with air & I assume it's soapy water they used on the outside, but not sure.
Yes, that is the test I was referring too. Leaks are the worst to track down but it sounds like they have the right area bit are missing some critical flaw. It only needs to be a pin hole. I would get so one inside and use a hose outside on a small part of the window till you find it. It may take a while but no one has as much skin in the game as you do. Look closely at the whole window and see if anything peaks your interest. I Know you said they resealed the frame and replaced the rubber seal but I would wonder if there is a flaw in where the window fits in the frame itself.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #8

THOR #1742
Class C water leak

Thanks everyone. Learning new things to try.
We checking into a moisture meter. Sun will be out the next few days so we'll try the water hose on the window & rubber seals around it. We are determined to find it.
Have any of you heard about anyone replacing the whole front cap & eliminating the windows up there totaly? Any idea of cost?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #9

THOR #1620
I don't think you would need to go to that extreme. You will find it. After all it went a long time without leaking and you can get it back to that. Just gonna take some time. If you get so frustrated with it I would go to a body shop and they could close the window off and you would have never known it was there. A lot cheaper than replacing the cap. It's frustrating but just take it one step at a time.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Is it leaking immediately after retrieving it from Camping World, or after a few days.

I remember in my last boat, the main stateroom windows were always a leak problem. I'd seal them, but then when walking on the deck above the windows, the stress of people walking over the deck cracked the sealant again.

I fixed the problem with a gutter over the windows, but that is probably not practical for you, given the location of your window.

But it might be that just driving down the road is vibrating the window enough that the sealant they use cracks again, and it leaks.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #11

THOR #1742
Class C water leak

FW28z
When we bring it home from Camping World, we make sure any water is vacuumed out. Then wait for the next rain. The day after it rains, we check it & there's the water again. You may be exactly right. This last time they had it, they said they applied Sikaflex around the window glass & inner frame. Then they reinstalled the inner seals & ran the sealtech test again. We condidered the jostling & vibration of driving could have displaced some of the caulking they used because the leak keeps recurring in the same place.
We've decided to look again on our own before our next appt with Camping World.

Tags
2008 four winds chateau