Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2018, 12:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Class A MH Steering and Sway Fixes

I have a 2018 Windsport 29M that needs some help! When I first joined this forum I saw a lot of fixes for the sway bars and many personal views on what to install or change. Now I can’t find them after I just got blown off the highway by a 75 MPH truck. I’m tired of fighting the sway and the double fisted grip. I tried the Cheap front sway bar fix and it may have helped some but not near enough. What did you use and for how much?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Delaware
THOR #8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
I have a 2018 Windsport 29M that needs some help! When I first joined this forum I saw a lot of fixes for the sway bars and many personal views on what to install or change. Now I can’t find them after I just got blown off the highway by a 75 MPH truck. I’m tired of fighting the sway and the double fisted grip. I tried the Cheap front sway bar fix and it may have helped some but not near enough. What did you use and for how much?
We have a 2018 Windsport 29M as well and experienced the same thing when bringing the coach home the first time. We had an alignment done first...it was pulling to right. Then we had a steering stabilizer and a rear track bar placed on it. It has made a big difference driving now. Much more relaxed. I did not do the CHF.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:52 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
Same here. I did the front end alignment, steering stabilizer and rear trac bar as well. Rig handles well. I can one hand steer it and passing semi's are no problem. Neg on the CHF for me as well.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:55 AM   #4

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
front and rear chf- free

Safe t plus- dealer installed as part of deal

Rear track bar- $450. Self installed Best mod I did

Sumo spring- $450 I think. Self install. Originals broke so they sent me the newer version model. Sumos help with the wind and sway. Still not sure if it was worth the money but they do help

Get front end alignment and check tire pressure

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #5

THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by werbrichfamily View Post
We have a 2018 Windsport 29M as well and experienced the same thing when bringing the coach home the first time. We had an alignment done first...it was pulling to right. Then we had a steering stabilizer and a rear track bar placed on it. It has made a big difference driving now. Much more relaxed. I did not do the CHF.
What is a steering stabilizer? What name brand track bar and did you install both yourself?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
x2 on what Jerry said!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I did an alignment on my 29 ft class A and self installed a steering stabilizer (Roadmaster). Have not done the CHF or added any other hardware and I’m very happy with the handling. I don’t know why my rig would work better than others but I’m happy with it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
front and rear chf- free

Safe t plus- dealer installed as part of deal

Rear track bar- $450. Self installed Best mod I did

Sumo spring- $450 I think. Self install. Originals broke so they sent me the newer version model. Sumos help with the wind and sway. Still not sure if it was worth the money but they do help

Get front end alignment and check tire pressure

Jerry

What name brand Rear track bar did you end up with? Was the instructions clear enough to get her done in a day and what special tools were required?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by werbrichfamily View Post
Do you recall the brand names of the steering stabilizer and a rear track bar? Did you install either or have a shop install them?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Do you recall the brand names of the steering stabilizer and a rear track bar? Did you install either or have a shop install them?
For the 18,000 lb F-53 chassis, I used an UTF53V8R rear track bar by Ultra RV Products. It put it on myself and took a couple hours laying on card board under the level coach. I seriously recommend you use an impact wrench on the big bolts. The little ones (12MM) torque to only 65 lbs, but the rest )5/8") 100 ftlbs. The big 3/4" fine threads bolts are held on by steel lock nuts that take about 200 ftlbs of torque to tighten and shroud be torqued to 380 ftlbs. My impact wrench only goes to 320 ftlbs so I called it quits when I reached the wrench max. The track bar made little difference in how the coach handles when not towing. I drove it 18,000 miles without the rear track bar. I did not like the way the coach felt when towing. I could feel the dolly pull on the coach at speed when I turned the wheel. The track bar greatly improved the dolly pull.
My personal opinion is my coach drives great the way it came from the factory but add 2,200 lbs and it needed some help. I added Sumo Springs front and back because the coach was bottoming out against the bump stops. The Sumo Springs did improve the ride of the big pavement breaks but made it ride a little rougher on the minor road imperfections. They helped the coach sway some but the sway wasn't too bad to start with. I checked the front wheel alignment and empty weight when I first got the coach. The rear wheel thrust and front wheel alignment were spot on. The coach weighed 15,840 lbs when me in it and nothing else except 56 gallons of fuel. I run with 80 psi in the front tires and 88 in the rear. Factory says 82 psi but my rear tires run too hot with 82 psi.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
What name brand Rear track bar did you end up with? Was the instructions clear enough to get her done in a day and what special tools were required?
https://www.brazelsrv.com/UTF53V8R-R...s-(Fits-V10-V8)

I ran into some problems, my mistake not the bars, so it took a day to install. Later I installed the same bar on my Buddy's Fleetwood. Took 2-1/2 hours which included doing the front and rear chf plus lubing the sway bar bushings

You'll need a 1-1/8 socket and open or box wrench same size. Deep socket if you impact the nut. Regular if you impact the bolt. Impact wrench is a must for the 3/4 nut and bolts.

Make sure you remove the bolts on the sway bar arm and link that goes to the frame first. This removes the pressure on the sway bar. If not removed its a pain to install the track bar brackets.

Also get the main bar that attaches to the frame and lower bracket installed first before tightening the frame bracket bolts. After frame bracket is tight then tighten the main bar 3/4 bolts

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #12

THOR #3156
Link wouldn't open for me so thus is what I got.

UTF53V8R - Rear UltraTrac Trac Bar Ford F53 14-18K GVW Chassis (Fits V10 & V8

Got it at Brazzels

Every coach is different and mods work on some and not on others

For me this was the best mod in regards to handling

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I used the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. Don't remember the brand of rear track bar, but those 2 items and the alignment made all the difference on my Miramar.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
All the suggestions you have received will help improve handling. Another thing to check that I didn't see mentioned is the air pressure in your tires. When we got our Windsport the tires were inflated to 110#to 115#. The sticker next to the drivers seat calls for 82#. What a difference in ride and handling that made. I almost didn't take it in for an alignment because of the improvement, but we did and even thought drove much better they found the front end out of alignment by over 1/2". We were told we would have probably worn out the front tires in 2000 miles! Safe travels.