Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thanks for all replies. Based on your comments I'd try one if available when I find the right unit.

We like the "less-is-more" design approach and this awning design is a perfect example. Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I have the same awning on my Windsport, you don't need to adjust anything, rain will run right off. Have already had a downpour on our awning with no problems, just open and enjoy!
Hello SuperD. Does your awning have a wind sensor? I stupidly left mine out last night and awoke at 3 am to some strong wind. I got up to retract it...but it was already in. Lucky me.

I can't find anything in the main manual about this...

Thanks,
Kent
Old 03-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #23

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post
Hello SuperD. Does your awning have a wind sensor? I stupidly left mine out last night and awoke at 3 am to some strong wind. I got up to retract it...but it was already in. Lucky me.

Thanks,
Kent
We have the same awning. Not sure if there's a wind sensor but I'm glad the arms are gone now. We were really bad about walking right into them and bashing our heads on our old rv (2016 Salem Cruise Lite travel trailer)

ETA: We also have the 50amp upgrade
Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #24

THOR #2121
I'm glad the Carefree Latitude armless awning made it to new 2018 Axis. Based on all the feedback, it sounds like an improvement and good fit. I was hoping the design would filter down, and that Thor will use it to its full advantage beyond providing shade.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #25

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMo View Post

Thanks,
Kent
Pretty sure I read there is a wind sensor but I honestly don't remember where I read it. If I come across it again I will post it!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #6664
From the Carefree website:

Direct Response: This motion-activated feature allows consumers to never again worry about leaving their awning unattended in windy conditions. The awning automatically retracts when affected by constant motion.

BTW, during my shakedown trip one of my awning end caps blew off. I called carefree (can't order online since Latitude is an OEM model) and for a nominal fee they are sending me an end cap that hopefully will not blow off this time!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #27

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I also have the Carefree Lateral Arm awning and so far love it. You can test the automatic wind feature by pushing up on the end nearest the front causing it to bounce...it should retract. The best feature for me is the amount of wind it will handle. The lateral arms allow the front to raise several feet if caught by a gust of wind with no damage since the awning pivots in the track mounted to the motorhome. I actually had that happen and first thought it would be ruined. When the wind decreased it just came back down. Gusty wind will cause it to bounce and then retract.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #28

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccombe View Post
From the Carefree website:

Direct Response: This motion-activated feature allows consumers to never again worry about leaving their awning unattended in windy conditions. The awning automatically retracts when affected by constant motion.

BTW, during my shakedown trip one of my awning end caps blew off. I called carefree (can't order online since Latitude is an OEM model) and for a nominal fee they are sending me an end cap that hopefully will not blow off this time!
My end cap blew off as well and Thor sent me a new one. The one on the back catches a lot of wind when traveling down the highway. I put a screw in the bottom of it after snapping it on and have had no problems since.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #29

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Pretty sure I read there is a wind sensor but I honestly don't remember where I read it. If I come across it again I will post it!
I think I just got a response on Jerry's thread saying that if I (we) have the CareFree Latitude, then it does have the sensor. Now I just need to figure out which one I have! No manual in the Thor case for CareFree...

Thanks,
Kent
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 35M
THOR #6664
Wish I had called Thor before Carefree charged me $27. Lesson learned. :-)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:48 AM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
The Carefree Lattitude is adjustable for pitch. Just download installation/operation manual from their website for instructions.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 AM   #32

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Cracked hinges of Carefree awning

I will share my experience with this awning. I am now on my third set of Carefree arms. I have had my RV now for over 2 years and both times the 'elbows' or pivot point fatigued and cracked. They are made of light cast metal. Thankfully, my RV extended warranty has paid for them both times I had issues.

My advice is do not rely on the auto retract feature to quickly roll up the awning in wind. My first incident the awning rolled up but was not quick enough which broke the arms and scratched the side of my RV. I no longer leave it extended if I know weather is approaching or overnight. If this fatiguing issue happens again, I will have a machine shop make durable replacements.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #33

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guidrys View Post
I will share my experience with this awning. I am now on my third set of Carefree arms. I have had my RV now for over 2 years and both times the 'elbows' or pivot point fatigued and cracked. They are made of light cast metal. Thankfully, my RV extended warranty has paid for them both times I had issues.

My advice is do not rely on the auto retract feature to quickly roll up the awning in wind. My first incident the awning rolled up but was not quick enough which broke the arms and scratched the side of my RV. I no longer leave it extended if I know weather is approaching or overnight. If this fatiguing issue happens again, I will have a machine shop make durable replacements.
That's great information to know. Do you happen to know what the cost would have been for new arms had you paid instead of an extended warranty?

As bad as these failures were, and they were, I'm at least glad to hear that the awning itself will fail before the attachment to the motorhome. My fear was that a sudden gust could put so much force on cantilevered awning that it could damage the MH structure. If that occurred I'm not sure the MH could be repaired at a reasonable cost, if at all.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #34

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Well I have had mine 18 ft CofC Lattitude repaired after it hit a stop sign. It broke the rear bracket and I damaged the air springs' plastic clips. My dealer ordered the parts that I needed and installed them for $42 parts and $50 labor. Sometime later, after about 20 extensions and retractions, the rear "E" clip disappeared and the roller separated from the rear arm. I had watched the dealer repair it before, so after two tries, I got a new "E" clip installed. Note: the awning will retract if the power is on and you drive the "E" clip in with a hammer. Surprise and fun on an 8 ft ladder. After putting the awning back out and removing the power it was easy to get the "E" clip in-place.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #35

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
[QUOTE=Chance;62197]That's great information to know. Do you happen to know what the cost would have been for new arms had you paid instead of an extended warranty?

As bad as these failures were, and they were, I'm at least glad to hear that the awning itself will fail before the attachment to the motorhome. My fear was that a sudden gust could put so much force on cantilevered awning that it could damage the MH structure. If that occurred I'm not sure the MH could be repaired at a reasonable cost, if at all.[/QUOTE

It could be designed to fail. You can find the parts price list on the Carefree website. They aren't cheap!

PG
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #36

THOR #5560
My Miramar has the lateral awning with a wind sensor (found that one out accidentally). Was wondering if you could use awning tie downs to add security when the wind starts to gust? Has anyone tried this? Recommendations for or against?

Mark L.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarVA View Post
My Miramar has the lateral awning with a wind sensor (found that one out accidentally). Was wondering if you could use awning tie downs to add security when the wind starts to gust? Has anyone tried this? Recommendations for or against?

Mark L.
What would happen if you used tie downs and then awning tried to retract anyway? Unless you deactivated the wind sensor (is that an option?) couldn't it cause damage?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #38

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
No need to tie it down in my opinion, might do more harm then good. With the auto wind sensor I usually don't worry. In strong wind its best to have awning retracted anyway.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #39

THOR #4488
The instructions on the awning says never to use tie downs.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #40

THOR #5560
Thanks for your thoughts. I was just thinking outside of the box.