Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #2902
Locked Inside Door Lock Broken?

I’m currently locked inside my 2016 Class A Thor Axis RV 😩
Inside door locks flipped to unlocked but handle won’t engage and unlock door. Cannot be opened from outside. Deadbolt unlocks but door lock does not seem to move and handle will not engage.
I’m not on a hill or angle and pushing or pulling the door very hard does not work.
Do I need to call a “special” locksmith or just any locksmith?
THOR says lock chamber probably needs to be drilled out and lock replaced.
I live in north suburbs of Atlanta and am currently driving towards home.
Thanks for your advice/help!

Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
It sounds like your latch broke. This is a known issue with some of the Trimark latches.

You should be able to remove the screws on the inside of the latch and push it out of the door to get out, but you'll need to replace the latch if it is indeed broken.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You're in the perfect place to work on it... if you already have access to the proper tools.
Take a look at the latch, and you should be able to see what you'll need...
If your tools are in the rig:
If your tolls are in outside storage: can you get out a window, or get someone on the outside, to get them for you?
Good luck!
(Should we bring you food?? )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Should just need a phillips screwdriver.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm going to give the op the benifit of doubt and assume they have seen the screws and have considered taking the obvious action to free themselves.

So,
The ladder for the overhead bed fits handily through the drivers side sliding window allowing you to the ground.

(I think most roadside assistance providers offer a locksmith as part of the plan.
Some credit cards do, some auto insurance companies do.)
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Hope this is resolved by now! You don't need a locksmith, and they can't fix it anyway. No drill required, just a phillips screwdriver as was already mentioned.

Once you have it removed and the broken latch parts out of the way, you can put the latch back on and secure the door with the deadbolt. Then call Kevin at TriMark. You'll have a replacement part in a few days.

This happened to us last weekend, as reported in the thread about the St Augustine rally.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #7

Model: Palazzo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6168
Several good & accurate responses. The picture shows what I believe broke.

I’ve replaced several lock assemblers over the years, and you’ll soon find out the price.

I took part to a job shop machine shop and for $100 had one made out of carbon steel, (8620). Rebuilt assembly.

Now when the current (pot metal) one fails I’ll replace it with modified unit. Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56ADD518-A600-4476-BB3B-271B4B7E539D.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	20735  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:33 AM   #8

THOR #2902
Ok you guys are awesome!
Thankfully, I made it home without running out of gas!

That was stressful and claustrophobic. I have had many helpers today from campers, park rangers and a state trooper but no one could break me out.

A neighbor came over, opened my garage with my code and brought me a ladder. I climbed out the drivers window and immediately enjoyed a well deserved stiff drink!!!

Once I got out and looked at it, I do think it’s a door latch vs a lock problem. I did see the screws on the inside but my Phillips screwdriver was in an outside compartment. My husband comes home tomorrow night and I will climb back inside and unscrew it.

I am so thankful for this forum and all of you kind and helpful people!
I hope it’s just the latch and appreciate you letting me know who to contact to order a new one
Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 AM   #9

Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
Anyone locked OUT ?

Someone other than me has had to have themselves locked out of their MH. Question is how did they deal with it. I will share my horror story after a few responses. I may have not made the right decision in my plan of action , a little embarrassed.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:34 AM   #10

THOR #2902
Looking forward to hearing how you handled the “outside” lock out!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you staged a successful Jailbreak!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #12

THOR #2902
You guys are good!
Hubby home and I climbed back through window and unscrewed back plate.
The internal metal piece that pulls the latch bolt out of the door is broken in half. When you pull the door handle, it cannot engage the latch bolt to pull it out of door opening.
There was a company name (TriMark) listed on door hardware so we’re calling for parts now.
Question: I assume we have to order the whole front door latch component, correct? It’s $40 cheaper on Amazon and wondered if any of you have ordered from Amazon or directly from TriMark?
It would be nice just to order the broken metal and plastic piece but my husband doesn’t think this is an option, correct?
Thanks for your continued help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE3F7EF7-8506-4D80-A333-D8762803BDB5.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	20756  
Old 10-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye! View Post
You guys are good!
The internal metal piece that pulls the latch bolt out of the door is broken in half. When you pull the door handle, it cannot engage the latch bolt to pull it out of door opening.
There was a company name (TriMark) listed on door hardware so we’re calling for parts now.
Question: I assume we have to order the whole front door latch component, correct? It’s $40 cheaper on Amazon and wondered if any of you have ordered from Amazon or directly from TriMark?
It would be nice just to order the broken metal and plastic piece but my husband doesn’t think this is an option, correct?
This is a common problem. Read post #6 above.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #14

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye! View Post
You guys are good!

I would be very careful ordering this door lock form anyone (including Trimark) without first ensuring that the new latch is steel and not pot metal like your OEM part. I have read that many people replaced their OEM trimark door locks with replacements that turned out to be equipped with the pot metal latch. If you call Trimark specify the part with steel latch that will directly replace your OEM broken lock. Trimark may ask for their stamped numbers on your old part(s).
Old 10-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: Out with the pot metal, and in with the steel!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
For new owners the lock material (magnet test) should be on the PDI list so they could be prepared for a failure.

I was able to get a free replacement even though our lock never failed simply by emailing TriMark. I dont think the dealer or Thor would replace it without a failure prior to purchase.

If ours was a Class A without cab doors I would only use the deadbolt when away from the rig and keep a small assortment of handy tools inside. Even a Swiss Army Knife would be useful when your lock fails.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #17

Model: Citation 24ST
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7565
He He yes our lock in was not pretty. No one in the campground but us. DW managed to get out passenger window to get to tool box but didn't help. She managed to get picnic table to window to get dog out before taking off and get back in. Had just enough cell service to find someone in the area that might be able to help us. But we needed to gas up to make the drive, so the funny/sad part was pulling into a gas station and trying to get someone to help us fill our gas tank because we couldn't get out of our MH HA HA even I couldn't believe what I was asking someone to do. Everyone kept trying the door and we kept saying NO the door won't open. People were very Leary so they went and got the gas station manager and he was very nice, kind of smiled and laughed, took our credit card through the window and filled our tank. When we got to the service place we had to call and tell them that we were in the parking lot and they came out with a ladder and came into the MH. They fixed it enough so that we could exit and enter and just use the dead bolt. When we got home we contacted Thor and they sent us a new lock. Make sure it is the right metal by checking that a magnet sticks to it. Not an experience I want to do again!!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But on the bright side: it is good to know that you could find strangers who were willing to lend a hand.
There ARE good folks out there...
Old 10-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Hey, Hawkeye, I sent you a PM. Go back and read the post I left above.

You don't need to spend any $$ on this, call TriMark.

TriMark says they don't make the pot metal latches any more, so you'll get a steel replacement assembly.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #20

THOR #2902
I am going to reach out to THOR first to see if they will remedy the situation. If they won't, I will reach out to TriMark. I refuse to pay for this out of my pocket and will get this taken care of by one of the above. Either way, I will file a complaint with the NHTSH (as many others have) in hopes that they will see the safety issue and mandate a recall.
Thanks again everyone!
I will update when SOMEONE steps up and covers the steel replacement.