Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 03:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Compressor for rv

I want to keep a compressor in the RV to keep my tires at pressure and be able to blow out my water system for winterization.

For water I need ~30 psi
For the tires I’ll need 100 psi

Has to run on 12vdc or gen 120vac. And has to be storable in the basement.

Anyone have one that’s reliable and that they’d recommend?

Old 11-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #14300
Compressor

I bought a Jaco Smart Pro on Amazon, goes to 100 psi. Works great on my 29m.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The small one Pilobob posted will work fine for tires but won't work for winterizing. I also carry a small inflator in the RV (one from Lowes) which isn't suited for winterizing either.

For winterizing you need pressure and volume--something with a tank so that it can move a bunch of air through the system.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I bought an Airhawk and it does the job doing both, its just not real powerful and the big plus is, is that it can run on its rechargeable battery and plug into 12 volt receptacle, great for the rear tires when the plug in cord will not reach. It took 5 minutes pumping up a flat tire to 65 PSI
Coveman2
Old 11-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
I bought a Jaco Smart Pro on Amazon, goes to 100 psi. Works great on my 29m.
I looked at it on amazon but couldn’t see lengths etc... Is the 12v long enough to reach the wheels?

Does the air nozzle fit the pneumatic male end of the winterizing adaptor?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #13951
We carry the Viair 400P-RV. It is on the pricey side...but this RV kit has all the pieces we need (we already had the blow-out connector and pressure gauge from a previous product) and is one of the quietest compressors I have seen (much to the delight of our neighbors). It will pump up to 150psi and connects directly to either your chasis or house batteries with an 8' cord which means I can use it wherever we may be located....even road side. With the extension hose included I can check/fill all my tires...even when we have the toad attached without any hassle. It stores conveniently under the couch in our Four Winds 31W but should be able to fit in your garage depending on compartment size. After trying two other units with pressure and extension issues this unit has solved my frustrations. Good luck with your search.
P.S. I did purchase a commercial chuck with attached pressure stem and find it to be more accurate than the pressure gauge that came with the kit. Not a biggie but thought you should know.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpjr123 View Post
We carry the Viair 400P-RV. It is on the pricey side...but this RV kit has all the pieces we need (we already had the blow-out connector and pressure gauge from a previous product) and is one of the quietest compressors I have seen (much to the delight of our neighbors). It will pump up to 150psi and connects directly to either your chasis or house batteries with an 8' cord which means I can use it wherever we may be located....even road side. With the extension hose included I can check/fill all my tires...even when we have the toad attached without any hassle. It stores conveniently under the couch in our Four Winds 31W but should be able to fit in your garage depending on compartment size. After trying two other units with pressure and extension issues this unit has solved my frustrations. Good luck with your search.

P.S. I did purchase a commercial chuck with attached pressure stem and find it to be more accurate than the pressure gauge that came with the kit. Not a biggie but thought you should know.

I carry the Viair as well. It is costly but it’ll surely do the job for years to come. Doesn’t even labor with my 100 psi tire needs and everything stores nicely in its bag. I put a tire plug kit in as well. Plugging won’t work for all flats and it’s supposed to be only a temporary repair but it’ll get you going again for a common tread puncture. I always wondered how hard it is to puncture a tire and how hard it would be to use a plugger so I practiced on a tire that was on the way to be replaced. Turned out both he puncture and the repair were easy. Who knew? It was a motorcycle tire so perhaps a heavy duty RV tire would be ore difficult but at least I’m going to have a go at it if he need ever arises.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpjr123 View Post

What is the commercial check / stem? I'm non mechanically inclined so this is confusing.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

THOR #17154
I just put a Viair 400P-RV in my Amazon cart. For those who use this model, how difficult is it to limit the PSI for blowing out the lines?

Is there any additional attachment that I should buy (as long as I'm opening up the checkbook!)?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I just put a Viair 400P-RV in my Amazon cart. For those who use this model, how difficult is it to limit the PSI for blowing out the lines?

Is there any additional attachment that I should buy (as long as I'm opening up the checkbook!)?
You need volume such as a 5-6 gallon pancake to adequately blow out lines or you could use a separate tank but the Viair don't put out the volume you need, just psig
Old 11-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
You need volume such as a 5-6 gallon pancake to adequately blow out lines or you could use a separate tank but the Viair don't put out the volume you need, just psig

True enough if you are relying on blowing out your lines as your primary winterizing strategy. If you plan to use antifreeze in your lines almost any air is sufficient to blow enough water out to avoid diluting the pink stuff. In fact, I don’t blow any air in mine at all. Just open the drain lines for a short time then close them up and pump the antifreeze in. Takes about 20 minutes and two gallons. Works for me every time.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #12

THOR #17154
Hmmm... I was hoping to use the compressor for tires _and_ blowing out the lines.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

THOR #17154
I just ordered the Vair 450p-rv. I want to be able to use it to blow out my pipes too. I saw a video where they used the 450 and had an air pressure regulator attached to keep it at 40 PSI. It had quick connects on it. Does anyone have a link to the regulator? I lost the link to the video so I can’t check for part numbers. ):
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #14

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Could this be what your looking for?
Viair RV Winterizing Kit
Old 11-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #14989
I have a Windsport 29m. Which one should I pick? 400 or 450 Viair? Is there enough hose to reach each tire?
Cold PSI 100 in tires.
Thank you
Old 11-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #16

State: Ohio
THOR #3538
Compressor

I bought a Sears 150psi my tires take 120psi. Have not used for blowing out lines but don’t know why it wouldn’t work. Before you leave a park open all your low point drains and open your faucets as you drive it will suck out most of the water. Will still need to blow out lines but it will get a lot of it.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
I bought a SLIME - works great and very portable
Old 11-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #18

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Viair 400P-RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post

Viair 400P-RV
Also VIAIR 90145 RV Winterizing Kit
Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #19

Brand: DRV
Model: Fullhouse
State: Manitoba
THOR #10343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus3836 View Post
I bought a Sears 150psi my tires take 120psi. Have not used for blowing out lines but don’t know why it wouldn’t work. Before you leave a park open all your low point drains and open your faucets as you drive it will suck out most of the water. Will still need to blow out lines but it will get a lot of it.
That is a terrible idea!!! You have obiviusly never passed a leaking RV on a motorcycle! One never knows if it is clean water or the RV's black water valve is leaking.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Hi Jamie, glad you chimed in. I don't winterize, I jus avoid winters, but I want to be able to fill my tires on my ACE 30m2 (85 psi) as needed. Do you know how easy this one would be for someone like me to use (I'm a female disabled vet & have some strength & agility issues these days)? Thanks Jamie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The small one Pilobob posted will work fine for tires but won't work for winterizing. I also carry a small inflator in the RV (one from Lowes) which isn't suited for winterizing either.

For winterizing you need pressure and volume--something with a tank so that it can move a bunch of air through the system.

Tags
compressor, newbie