Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #9995
conflicting information from dealers?!

Hello,

we are beginning shopping for a class c. Id like used, but they are hard to find. I did see a 2003 minnie winnie 29 for 24,500, and besides some cosmetics, it looks really clean (41k miles)! good tires, etc.

a dealer at one place said "wow, used ones are impossible to find!" but then we went to another place, go figure, a place that had a 2017, new, for 55k, said "you know, thats pretty old, you never know about them old ones - roofs tend to go out in 14 years, specially if it was outside- good chance youll have 35k in it before you know it"

and it did make sense. my question is this:

do class c's tend to need major work at the 15 year mark? will my 24k deal become a 39k disaster?

I can finance the new one longer..but thats always the trap. cheaper is better, used is better................but I dont know class c's. any shopping help is appreciated. is there a site better than kbb? like price comparison sites? should I go to an auction?

thanks for any tips!!

hostnamedave :-)

Old 11-12-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
How can you tell when a salesman is lying? ...............
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Finance , as long as you can ....low payments...claim as a "second home on taxes" and go out and enjoy this beautiful country!! If you need more incentive open up local paper to the obits and see how young everyone is. Go enjoy your life it's a Blast!!!! Good Luck!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:26 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
New is good if you are planning on owning long term... used is good if you are thinking short term or are uncertain about whether a Class C is the right choice.

A new one can have as many if not more headaches than a used one... Could even break your heart and the bank! A good used one is equally as good as a good new one.

The time between repairs is driven more by owner maintenance than a specific number of years. If it was in that bad of shape to need that much work you probably wouldn't be buying it...
Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7074
I would Never go older than 5yrs used... you will not get the same experience traveling. I trade every 5 yrs. For New. Every 5 yrs they drive better and better....
Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Our first RV was about 10 years old when we bought it... With 24k miles.
We had started shopping for a used C, but ended up with an A.

It worked well for us for 4 years till we bought the next rig... Helped us decide what we wanted without the huge depreciation hit... We stayed with an A, but added slides as we were starting 'snowbird' trips for 3+ months and wanted more room.

If you are of the mindset that wants an extended service plan, those tend to stop at 15 years from what I saw.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #7

THOR #9995
reply to replies....

thanks for the replys! I think we need to go new or gently used, maybe not 14 year used. as you have said, if we know we want to keep it a long time, and we do, we expect to retire and travel with this thing. our last rv's have been popups, so we do know the lifestyle, just tired of all the work. the idea of pulling in, plugging in and sleeping sounds amazing.

oh, and going to a concert? to a hockey game? WITH the RV?? what an amazing tailgate experience. Heck, Ill bring it to my kids soccer practice, and watch a movie!

the benefits of a driving camper are staggering, that wont change, and I think we should just go new or close to new!

but, any other thoughts are certainly welcome, we want to consider all opinions.

dave
Old 11-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2brn View Post
oh, and going to a concert? to a hockey game? WITH the RV?? what an amazing tailgate experience. Heck, Ill bring it to my kids soccer practice, and watch a movie!
Clearly you've been browsing around the forums here! LOL
Tailgating our sons baseball game:
Click image for larger version

Name:	tailgating1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	7735
Going to a concert:

Name:	concert.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	7736
Yup the four hooligans, er gentlemen, by the blue trash can were my passengers.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #9

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2brn View Post
Hello,

we are beginning shopping for a class c. Id like used, but they are hard to find. I did see a 2003 minnie winnie 29 for 24,500, and besides some cosmetics, it looks really clean (41k miles)! good tires, etc.

a dealer at one place said "wow, used ones are impossible to find!" but then we went to another place, go figure, a place that had a 2017, new, for 55k, said "you know, thats pretty old, you never know about them old ones - roofs tend to go out in 14 years, specially if it was outside- good chance youll have 35k in it before you know it"

and it did make sense. my question is this:

do class c's tend to need major work at the 15 year mark? will my 24k deal become a 39k disaster?

I can finance the new one longer..but thats always the trap. cheaper is better, used is better................but I dont know class c's. any shopping help is appreciated. is there a site better than kbb? like price comparison sites? should I go to an auction?

thanks for any tips!!

hostnamedave :-)
Do you use rvtrader.com?

I found 386 C's within 50 miles of Phoenix.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/new...wreply&p=97250

RV's are like boats. a very few are used a lot, the first year then not so much.
Our 2015 built and sold in 2014 had less than 4K miles and looked new.

Don't miss the B+'s, our Citation is as big as most C's.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The last two we bought new, and yes new ones are a PITA for the first year, getting them recovered from the manufacturing process, but I still prefer new. If I were looking for used, I would not go older than a year, maybe a two year old one, if it showed signs of maintenance and care. I hear people say they would never buy new because they want one that someone else has worked the bugs out of, but although I'm sure there are some great deals on used motorhomes, the fact is, you can never know what kind of abuse they have sustained from the previous owner or owners.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #11

THOR #9995
not as many around raleigh, but the ones I see are either too old, or so close to the brand new one for 50k, I may as well get that one. maybe im bad at searching, but it seems like a 10 year old coach with 40k miles is in the mid 40's and thats just not enough value. guess these hold value. thats good. also, I can finance a new one longer.

Id love to find a page full of b+ vans, but they done seem to come up on rv trader searches! help a noob! really, a van is all we need, also can park in the driveway, whereas with a class C, the HOA would prohibit it. need that sleeping area up top and we are good to go!

thx

dave
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7074
Figuring interest rate difference on new and used I would rather have a new one pita under warranty then a used one pita not under warranty that needs engine work tires brakes generator batteries etc etc you go out in an RV and enjoy yourself with a new one that you know that you owned and you took care of.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How can you tell if a dealer is lying?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Going into a dealership, be forearmed with information on whatever RV your want more info about. Most sales personnel are very outgoing and friendly - note in that description there is nothing about knowledgeable. Not saying that all sales reps are ignorant of info, just saying most that we've met knew or at best less than the DW and I did about their product. Our tact was to locate a RV we were interested in, visit the dealer/owner and then excuse them while we walked through looking/examining the RV. The sales folks we talked with didn't necessarily lie, I think they made up answers to question they weren't sure about.

Good luck and GO FOR IT.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: ALWAYS go in knowing more than you let them think that you know...
Keeping a couple of "Aces in The Hole" is the best idea!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Going into a dealership, be forearmed with information on whatever RV your want more info about. Most sales personnel are very outgoing and friendly - note in that description there is nothing about knowledgeable. Not saying that all sales reps are ignorant of info, just saying most that we've met knew or at best less than the DW and I did about their product. Our tact was to locate a RV we were interested in, visit the dealer/owner and then excuse them while we walked through looking/examining the RV. The sales folks we talked with didn't necessarily lie, I think they made up answers to question they weren't sure about.

Good luck and GO FOR IT.
Completely agree with this statement.

When we were looking, we went in armed with some research and our cell phones with Google. The best salespeople would answer tough questions with either they hadn't been asked that before or that they would get with the manufacturer and get back to us. The worst would simply make something up and get caught in a lie.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #17

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
"a dealer at one place said "wow, used ones are impossible to find!" Absolutely not true! It all depends on how diligent you are at looking at classified ads. You've got https://www.rvt.com/
https://www.rvtrader.com/
local Craigslist
We found exactly what we were looking for gently used. And, saved 40k in the process...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #18

THOR #9995
summary - we bought a camper..new..

well, I should have quantified my hard to find statement in that well cared for, rather late model lower end class c and lightweight TT's are hard to find in mass quantities, and if you do, the price stays up a bit due to it being the competitive end of the market.

learning all that, we just decided to get a 2018 winnebago winnied drop, and could not be happier. thanks for all the advice, I think its what helped educate us on the market enough to go in the direction that was right for OUR family. happy trails.

~nrg
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations!
How about a picture or two of your new rig?
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #20

THOR #9995
camper picture

ill try to. this might get ugly. :-D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171119_215408.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	7862   Click image for larger version