Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Constant water problems - 24F

My FW 24F is 27 months old from date of manufacture - I have had it for 22 months. Over those 22 months water penetration in the coach has been an issue - stove vent was not sealed on the outside, slide trim not sealed, cab over window not sealed. One thing after another. My latest adventure was getting the coach ready for a trip after a rainstorm. I found both sides of the cab over wet on the inside, I mean wet, and water still dripping. I was able to trace the leak to the corner molding that goes from the roof the the bottom of the coach and it had no sealant on it. Water was getting under the molding, has soaked the wall plywood and now water has a way into the coach. Now I have a slight moldy smell inside from all of the water. And, the trim inset started to come off the coach. I was ready to get a match.

I pulled the trim insert out and was shocked at what I saw. Almost all of the screws on the underside of the cab over were rusted, some with the heads broken off. There were a mix of stainless steel, inside panel and countersunk screws installed - whatever was on the shop floor.

I spent the day yesterday removing each screw, filling the hole with silicone and replacing with stainless steel pan head screws on each side of the coach. Then installed new insert trim.

Next I went around the complete coach and sealed every corner and penetration on the coach with clear Geocel Proflex sealant. Not easy stuff to work with, looks a bit messy (operator induced) but the coach is sealed.

Water has been the bane of my coach over the past 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coach.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	16554   Click image for larger version

Name:	driverside.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	16555  

Name:	panhead.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	16556   Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	16557  

Name:	countersunk.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	16558  

Old 04-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
So sorry for this experience. I just did my first spring inspection and sealing adventure this last weekend. I spent about an hour and a half and addressed 4 different seams one of which had been leaking for a while over the winter. I do this at least 4 times a year and nearly always have to address something. It’s not much fun but I’ve come to know my coach very well by doing it. EVERY seam needs to be clearly and obviously water tight with a good fillet of appropriate sealant. Keep at it and you can get ahead of it.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #3

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8596
I'm feeling the same pain

My RV has the same problem. Not on the side you show in the picture, but in the opposite side.
Took it to Camping World and they told me I left the window open

I guess I need to take the trim out an re-seal it.
Hope you fixed the problem.
Did you have to replace any plywood? I'm afraid that the mold might be a hazard!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This ius the sort of thing, that makes folks wonder why they do this...

Sorry to hear that you're having such problems. I hope that you can get it all sorted-out, and then dried-out! Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
I saw some water around this area yesteady. Need to take a look
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
That is a crying shame......

These manufacturers need to step up to the plate and make the standard warranty 2 years. It can easily take that long to shake out and address all of the issues that are part of well-documented poor manufacturing practices coupled with little to no quality control.

At the very least, they should stand behind these coaches for 2 years for water penetration issues. Water can do more long term damage than anything else.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Jimbo12, all I can add is to say, you are not alone.

mine was/is the same way. Hopefully you got her before too much damage was done. teh up side is that there really is very little wood in the walls. On mine the only substantial wood walls are teh short wings just behind teh cab doors...that's where I first discovered my roof/corner insert trim leak. I had some bad rot there.

I your want just to ease your mind, the upholstered panels on the inside are easy to remove for a look-see.... just pry off the button snap covers and remove a few screws.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That is a crying shame......

These manufacturers need to step up to the plate and make the standard warranty 2 years. It can easily take that long to shake out and address all of the issues that are part of well-documented poor manufacturing practices coupled with little to no quality control.

At the very least, they should stand behind these coaches for 2 years for water penetration issues. Water can do more long term damage than anything else.

Judge, I don’t know if it’s the same for all manufacturers but Thor only warranted my Freedom Elite for 3 months on water penetration. On the one hand it sounds like they have little confidence in their product but I think the reality is that sealing is an ongoing maintenance item with a frequency need of 3 - 6 months. RVs are made of lightweight materials and they flex and move a lot in use. I rarely go even 6 months without having to address sealing issues.

I’m sure I’m in a negligibly small minority on this but I’m just as glad my warranty is expired. Warranty service is slow and poor in many cases but you feel compelled to use it. It might cost a bit more but going to a good independent shop that values your business will get your repairs done right and put you back on he road I days instead of weeks.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:16 AM   #9

THOR #14380
The sad thing is we seem to expect or accept poor quality from the manufacturer. Can you imagine if my new Jeep or Ford F-150 was built to these quality levels? It is a sad situation where quality control is almost non-existent, the dealer warranty service is slow or poor, and we consumers simply accept the situation. There is no other consumer product that I know of that is built to such low quality levels.

Buying one that is 2 years old may be a good deal because it takes 2 years to find and repair all the initial defects.

Just my opinion, of course. Jim
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #10

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
Our Quantum is the same way. Last month I found all the plywood in our entry step was water soaked and delaminated. I tore it all out and replaced the cheap wood with marine grade ply and caulked the crap out of things. Now just today I discovered our wing walls are rotten as well. We're at 18 months on our 2018 so not sure what we're going to do about the walls.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #11

State: Massachusetts
THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post
My FW 24F is 27 months old from date of manufacture - I have had it for 22 months. Over those 22 months water penetration in the coach has been an issue - stove vent was not sealed on the outside, slide trim not sealed, cab over window not sealed. One thing after another. My latest adventure was getting the coach ready for a trip after a rainstorm. I found both sides of the cab over wet on the inside, I mean wet, and water still dripping. I was able to trace the leak to the corner molding that goes from the roof the the bottom of the coach and it had no sealant on it. Water was getting under the molding, has soaked the wall plywood and now water has a way into the coach. Now I have a slight moldy smell inside from all of the water. And, the trim inset started to come off the coach. I was ready to get a match.

I pulled the trim insert out and was shocked at what I saw. Almost all of the screws on the underside of the cab over were rusted, some with the heads broken off. There were a mix of stainless steel, inside panel and countersunk screws installed - whatever was on the shop floor.

I spent the day yesterday removing each screw, filling the hole with silicone and replacing with stainless steel pan head screws on each side of the coach. Then installed new insert trim.

Next I went around the complete coach and sealed every corner and penetration on the coach with clear Geocel Proflex sealant. Not easy stuff to work with, looks a bit messy (operator induced) but the coach is sealed.

Did it work?
Old 10-13-2022, 02:18 AM   #12
HCH

Model: 24F
State: Maryland
THOR #28023
Hi I’m new to the forum. I have a 2016 24f and after reading the rot problems I checked the wing walls and they were delaminated and mold was an issue.
I read in this forum thread how to remove the interior panels and was able to remove and replace the rotted wood.
Thanks to all of you for this information.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:44 PM   #13

THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullyd59 View Post
Did it work?

Yes but the ProFlex is hard to work with. It sets up quickly and makes a mess when smoothing it out. Slow and steady small bead worked best.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #14

State: Massachusetts
THOR #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOIB View Post

Was this before window replacement?
Old 11-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #15

THOR #9511
This was round one of my water issues. Round two was the clearance lights on the cab and round three was resealing the window. The constant in all three was the window.

In round one I found water leaking from the white tee molding in the cabover ceiling. There was a line of water on the bunk and I could see dripping where the molding met the wall. This lead me to the roof as the issue. Then I found wing walls rotted and that lead me to the outside trim around the cab.

The ceiling molding and window all has visible leaks - I could watch the water drip from both during rain.

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	39997
Old 11-02-2022, 11:34 AM   #16

THOR #9511

PS. I took a garden hose and put it on the roof on each side of the coach on the edge where the roof and cap meet. Did one side for an hour and looked for leaks inside then did the other side.

One more data point…my drivers side wing wall rotted out three times. Dealer fixed it twice under warranty. The third time I took it to an RV repair shop after I got a tour. The tech found that the screws holding the metal trim on were not long enough to hold well in the aluminum frame. I had him redo all four corners of the coach with new sealing tape and better screws. No issues after that.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #17

THOR #9511

Pics didn’t uploadClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	40007