Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #9096
Converter/Inverter reset

Hopefully someone can help me out. The electricity shut off yesterday while no one was home so I can't say exactly what happened. Current status is this: TV, satellite, microwave, refrigerator and the outlets all work. None of the lights work, and there is no power to the AC, toilets or water pump. There is power to the main control panel but only the lights on the door panel and the Magnum Electrical panel have juice. The actual Power Control System Central Monitor Panel, thermostat, and all the controls (indicator lights on all tank levels, the LPG and water pump) have no power. This does not change when we switch from SP to Gen Power.

The park maintenance guy completely replaced the 50Amp circuit on the pedestal and cleaned the ground connection.

I found the battery reset and it was not tripped - but I reset anyway. The GFCI is also not tripped but reset anyway. When I press the INV button on the Mangum panel nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1504723337.898374.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	6798Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1504723358.092470.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	6799Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1504723372.980005.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	6800Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1504723388.013391.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6801

Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

THOR #9096
Forgot to include this is a 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE diesel.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
First off curious about power to the toilet?
Sounds like you have more than one problem, all lighting will be 12 volt, ac, microwave, etc. will be 120 volt. There should fuses & a reset on your converter somewhere, sorry not familiar with your coach.
Do/did you have a surge protector on your shore power, if not get one, wouldn't ever plug in without one just for this reason.
I would grab a volt meter & start at their pedestal, because he said he fixed it doesn't necessarily make so & work from there checking voltages til you find where it stops. There's fuses, breakers, GFCIs all of which can go bad.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #4

THOR #9096
The toilets are Tecma macerator toilets that require electricity to flush - I highly recommend you do not get these or have them switched at the dealer I found the Magnum Inverter and turned it off and back on - no luck.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You have no 12 Volt DC power. I know you reset the battery "breaker" but is the STORE/USE switch in USE?

Since this seems to be a 12 VDC problem you had better check to see if your coach will start sooner, rather than later.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I had (I think) similar problem. To get the 12v stuff up and running I had to do a "hard" reset on the invertor/convertor. I unpluged my unit, then took off ALL of the pos and neg cables from all batteries. Waited about one min. rehooked up battery cables, plugged unit back in, all was working as should.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 AM   #7

State: Alabama
THOR #8945
Try starting with the fuses in the brown WFCO box..they are cheap and likely the problem. There is also 2 40 amp fuses on the 12 volt charging station. See How that works.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I had (I think) similar problem. To get the 12v stuff up and running I had to do a "hard" reset on the invertor/convertor. I unpluged my unit, then took off ALL of the pos and neg cables from all batteries. Waited about one min. rehooked up battery cables, plugged unit back in, all was working as should.
"Be Happy" is describing a power reset here. You may want to try a soft reset before this . Press and hold the Inverters power button for 15 seconds until you see the Inverter light flash quickly. Release the button wait for the light to go off, then press the power button to restart the inverter.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Thank you for this, I just ran into this issue. All of our inverted outlets went out. Turning on the inverter at the digital panel would read with no faults but no supply to the outlets (or fridge). I took the power off just to the inverter, waited a minute and plugged it back in and all was good.

What was really odd is that when I took the power off of the inverter, the inverted outlets began to work immediately. Can anyone help me understand what happened here? Does this have something to do with the automatic transfer switch? I was hooked up to 50A during this time.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Thank you for this, I just ran into this issue. All of our inverted outlets went out. Turning on the inverter at the digital panel would read with no faults but no supply to the outlets (or fridge). I took the power off just to the inverter, waited a minute and plugged it back in and all was good.

What was really odd is that when I took the power off of the inverter, the inverted outlets began to work immediately. Can anyone help me understand what happened here? Does this have something to do with the automatic transfer switch? I was hooked up to 50A during this time.
Once you removed 12 VDC to the inverter its transfer switch went to the failed position which is to pass 120 VAC around the inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Once you removed 12 VDC to the inverter its transfer switch went to the failed position which is to pass 120 VAC around the inverter.
Thank you, is that the automatic transfer switch that does that?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

State: California
THOR #10354
Inverter

Sounds to me like the inverter failed. When you turned on the generator, the converters' transfer switch disconnected the 12V from the batteries and then the converter was not delivering it's 12V power to the 12V system. When the converter was de-energized, it's transfer switch was also de-energized leaving the house batteries to power the 12V house loads. You better charge the house batteries from either the engine or an external 12V battery charger before they are discharged beyond repair/rechargeable.