Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
A couple of repairs after maiden voyage

First was a simple fix to secure a piece of trim over the microwave. 1 screw.

Second a bit more involved, but easy.
Getting read to leave after first night, a family member noticed something hanging down in front of right rear. Closer inspection it was a metal brace attached to the mud flap in front of the tires. The bracket had sheered loose from the inner side wall at some point during the first day. We found some wide and short enough screws to secure the brace to inner wall. 5 minute job, good to go. We arrive at our second stop, hooked up and looked at right rear and the brace came off again. Clearly not a good design from the beginning. I ended up taking the brace off the flap after about 15 minutes. Ok now w/o the brace holding the flap in place it rubbed against the tires and the treads made grooves in the flap and in a couple of places was starting to wear through. We made it home OK with flap intact. ( I couldn’t removed the flap because it was riveted to the frame)

So here is my fix. Drilled out the inner wall holes through the outer skin. Reattached brace to the flap and bolted the other end of brace through the wall. I used rubber washers on the bolt as it went through the outer skin. I then proceeded to attach a 6inch piece of angle metal left over from a project to the bottom edge of the innermost side of the flap. I then ran a bolt through the top part of that and attached a piece of 12 gauge wire and ran that wire forward and attached that around an existing bolt with another bolt and washer to complete the connection.

While finishing this up I noticed the propane line was loose enough to rattle against the battery tray, so I zip tied that off. Attached are picture of the flap repair. It might be hard to see the black 12 gauge wire.

JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CBAF4F0-564C-4BB9-A1CB-7897D27E56A9.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	16878   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A4A1760-3E82-483C-9DE3-886B96BB0FC1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	16879  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8435E12-FE70-4117-8ABB-F3CE8C46C5D0.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	16880   Click image for larger version

Name:	51261081-2CB2-4774-A425-2EBB8CB013DA.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	16881  

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Job well done.

Good thing your handy.... You better keep your handman belt on for the first year (or two) and carry lots of small tools, spare wire, nuts, bolts, screws, duct tape etc.

I went over kill with tools and parts for my RV but I hate waiting for help and to me nothing worse than having a simple fix and not the right tools or supplies to fix it quickly by myself. Stuff like that upset me so I rather carrier 75# of extra stuff just for the security. (NO joke... I bet I have 60 - 75# of tools and supplies in my RV at all times).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Thanks,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Job well done.

Good thing your handy.... You better keep your handman belt on for the first year (or two) and carry lots of small tools, spare wire, nuts, bolts, screws, duct tape etc.

I went over kill with tools and parts for my RV but I hate waiting for help and to me nothing worse than having a simple fix and not the right tools or supplies to fix it quickly by myself. Stuff like that upset me so I rather carrier 75# of extra stuff just for the security. (NO joke... I bet I have 60 - 75# of tools and supplies in my RV at all times).
I have assembled a tool bag of some essentials. I need to add a vice grip and probably a cordless drill. I’ll add a smaller version of the jar of nuts and bolts to the mix.

JJ
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad to hear that this was the extent of it...
You are MUCH handier than I am!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
I have assembled a tool bag of some essentials. I need to add a vice grip and probably a cordless drill. I’ll add a smaller version of the jar of nuts and bolts to the mix.

JJ
Yeah, I keep adding stuff to my bags (Yes bags with an S). I pretty well set now.

Having extra tools allows me to help my fellow camper as well. So I may not need all them now but down the road somebody might used them so it make it worth it to me.

I may thin them out later on... I will see.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:37 AM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Nicely done! I carry a bunch of tools with me as well. I have been a DIY'er from the time I was a kid.