Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
...Furthermore, having to deal between both dealerships. The dealer close to me doesn't really want to work on my unit b/c I didn't buy from them...
Hi Todd.
Step one is definitely to go to the dealership where you purchased it. BE SURE they don't just look at it and talk about it with you. Have it noted in the service records that you brought it in for this 'inspection', just in case time stretches on past 'warranty' deadlines. Step two is to get pissed at the dealership (always happens) and then go directly to Thor Customer Service to complain about the dealership and the way they sold you a damaged coach. Step three is when Thor contacts the dealership to see which end is going to be providing the repairs. When it comes to large repairs like yours needs, I would absolutely call Thor and set up an appointment in Indiana. Personally, I wouldn't have a dealership do a roof-replacement if I could help it. Just sayin'... Any way you look at it, there is going to be a lot of time that you won't have your coach with you, and a lot of inconvenience too, in taking it in for repairs and traveling back and forth, but it would be way worth it if it means getting that new roof. Heck, for the inconvenience, I'd go after the dealership for freebies in the amount it takes to make me feel better.

2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #11475
I agree. I am taking your and others advise. Problem, I should've stressed, I purchased the RV in WI and I live in KS. It took a flight out there then a 13 hour drive home. Woke up the next morning and saw a wire hanging down under the unit. The sad part I had the unit 24 hours before I turned it in again for service and the repair. The only thing I can think of is a zip-tie cut the wire during the drive home. If I hadn't done some preventive maintenance like oil change and a "65 inspection" they never would've found it and I really would be screwed. The local dealer had it for weeks so far. I hope Thor will take this into account when I approach them. I just want a fixed new unit like I paid for. I don't think I am asking for to much! It is sad one has to fight so hard to get someone (dealer) to take ownership and for the other dealer to perform the warranty repairs.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #23

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We had something similar: Picked up our 5th wheel in October, put it away for the winter, and when we got it out of storage found a bullet hole in the roof (I know it was a bullet hole because I found the bullet inside).
Just curious; any idea how you got a bullet hole in the roof and caliber? Driving thru bad section of town and or falling projectile from New Year's eve celebration?<tic>
Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Just curious; any idea how you got a bullet hole in the roof and caliber? Driving thru bad section of town and or falling projectile from New Year's eve celebration?<tic>
LOL pretty close: It didn't move between October and March. All I could figure was the New Year's celebration hypothesis.

Wouldn't be able to determine caliber at all as "guns aren't my thing" LOL. Perhaps you can determine it from a pic (that is a dime its sitting on):
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01433.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	10477
If I were to make a wild guess: 45? 9mm?

Here is the hole on the outside:

Name:	DSC01463.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	10478
and here is the hole on the inside:

Name:	DSC01453.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	10479
Wider pic of the inside:

Name:	DSC01457.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	10480

Funny thing is, I saw both of those and thought "well if CSI has taught me anything its that the exit hole is bigger than the entrance hole and I'll be darned if that doesn't look like a bullet hole"--then after we got it home I found the bullet.

Note that at the time we were storing the RV about a mile from the Detroit border...not that that would mean much LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #11475
I would agree a 45. No fragmentation so it went up then straight down without hitting anything except the RV. Think what it would've done had it hit someone's head or shoulder.... nothing good.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That bullet mushroomed perfectly!
Todd...
You're gonna have to get the owner of the shop where you bought it in front of you... Have him explain (If he can); how it is legal to have that much damage not be disclosed during a sale.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #27

THOR #1249
Right, either 45 or 44. Nice pics.
Did you notice if there was any angle between the entrance hole and the exit inside? Reason I ask is that it looks as if that hole would have required a little more velocity than a free falling bullet and it looks as if it impacted nose first.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:18 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Right, either 45 or 44. Nice pics.
Did you notice if there was any angle between the entrance hole and the exit inside? Reason I ask is that it looks as if that hole would have required a little more velocity than a free falling bullet and it looks as if it impacted nose first.
LOL no I didn't do that much forensic investigating. Due to the size of the outside hole and that the inside hole was filled with insulation you couldn't see the outside light from the inside. I didn't think to push a coat hanger through to figure that out... Note that the roof structure isn't that strong and thus it wouldn't require that much velocity (whats terminal velocity of a falling bullet anyway..Wikipedia to the rescue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire 186 mph..probably enough to puncture the roof).

I took tons of pictures to send to insurance (and because I really didn't believe what had happened--brand new coach, haven't even camped in it yet and it needed a new roof LOL).

Sorry Todd for hijacking your post...
Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #29

THOR #1249
Yes Todd, sorry that I got off topic and went ballistic. Hope you have an easy and fast resolution on your roof.

Jamie, thanks for the info and hope that never happens again to anyone.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #30

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
My 2000 GeorgieBoy 36' Dp- when new had a tear in the roof membrane. Rubber roofing is 2 layers, white outside and a black underneath. Apparently. when built -someone had grabbed the membrane to stretch it but actually tore the white membrane leaving 4 finger dimples of the black showing. It Went back to factory for that and other problems a few months after purchase. ( I paid for new and I want a new roof!!!)
Several years later a railroad crossing arm fell onto the roof. (traffic moving slower than the arm and the train) and cut a 4 inch smile in the edge of the rubber roof. I Patched with eternabond tape and that lasted for several more years until I traded the RV in 2015.
Short version- Those punctures look minor- If neither the dealer or Thor comes forward, Anger aside, Eternabond is a viable alternative. If you seal the edges with Dicor it is a permanent repair. (Not my attitude either the first time)
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #31

THOR #4796
Um...coming into this a tad late, but if that is a dime beneath the bullet, I'd say it's a 9 mil/Luger. Probably 115 gr. FMJ. Not a very good round for self-defense, but for firing randomly into the air, it's ok, but stupid. Too short for a .380. I could tell more, of course, if I saw the brass, but it looks smaller to me than a .45. I always heard of the dangers of falling bullets on New Years, but never really thought about the velocity that they come down with. My eyes are open now!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #32

THOR #4796
Quote:
.. and it looks as if it impacted nose first.
Actually, the bullet looks as if it didn't hit much of anything. Flat-nosed bullets are common (and cheap), and this does look like one. I am more intrigued by the rifling pattern on it from firing. All the bullets I see are flattened like an exploded pancake, with no visible rifling or shape to speak of.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #33

THOR #4796
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #34

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
380...most of them are flat nosed (green and white box). Shot from a Bersa. No doubt it was a falling bullet. We should take bets for a free camping weekend somewhere...everyone has to come but winner doesn't pay. We'll shoot up the town!! Whos' in? My bet is 380 and sticking to it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #35

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
380...most of them are flat nosed (green and white box). Shot from a Bersa. No doubt it was a falling bullet. We should take bets for a free camping weekend somewhere...everyone has to come but winner doesn't pay. We'll shoot up the town!! Whos' in? My bet is 380 and sticking to it.
Bersa? Why Bersa? Why not a Ruger LCP? (Personally, I'd guess the Ruger L9, but I'm going with 9 mil. I'm thinking Jamie is going to have to take a measure the length of that round with a caliper. I could really use a weekend of camping.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Bersa? Why Bersa? Why not a Ruger LCP? (Personally, I'd guess the Ruger L9, but I'm going with 9 mil. I'm thinking Jamie is going to have to take a measure the length of that round with a caliper. I could really use a weekend of camping.
Well the whole roof incident was about 15 years ago, not sure if I still have the bullet--wouldn't surprise me if I still had it in a drawer around here though LOL.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #37

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well the whole roof incident was about 15 years ago, not sure if I still have the bullet--wouldn't surprise me if I still had it in a drawer around here though LOL.
I believe the 9 mil and the .380 are so similar, a measurement won't help much. We'd need the brass to be sure of the size. But I do find this thread very compelling, in that people don't really think about the damage a simple tumbling bullet can do to a stationary object... or, we also don't put much thought into just how thin those roofs on our coaches really are!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 PM   #38

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Bersa because it's a common, cheap "hood" gun...although I have 4. Ruger LCP is a little more sophisticated, special purpose (I have two) and not likely to be on a thug (too small for his ego). The idiot that shot this in air is more inclined to have a cheaper gun and the ammo (green and white box) is good range stuff but it's cheap crap. Hoodies think it's "hydra-shock". Those are about the only 380's out there in volume. Just my theory.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8460
Cheap

If it's a cheap hood gun then it's a Kel-Tec! Even Bursa is high end for the "hood". (I've had a Bursa .380 for years and though not expensive is very accurate)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I believe the 9 mil and the .380 are so similar, a measurement won't help much. We'd need the brass to be sure of the size. But I do find this thread very compelling, in that people don't really think about the damage a simple tumbling bullet can do to a stationary object... or, we also don't put much thought into just how thin those roofs on our coaches really are!
The 9mm and the .380 acp use the EXACT same size diameter projectiles. Due to the larger capacity of the brass: the 9mm rounds are loaded with heavier (and longer bullets.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote