Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Cracked Pump Suction Strainer

I was preparing to dewinterize my ACE this weekend and discovered some “water” (I think antifreeze) dripping from the wet compartment. I tracked it down to the clear plastic bowl that houses the water pump suction strainer. The thing had a crack 2/3 of the way around at the base of the threads.

I have my doubts that it was due to freezing as when I winterized I sucked RV antifreeze up into the pump through the tee that is between the tank and the strainer. I know that I saw the strainer full of pink stuff when we put it to bed for the winter. I winterize by blowing out the lines, but suck a bit of the pink stuff through the pump to make sure that I’ve displaced any residual water. Maybe next winterization I will just pull the strainer bowl and leave it open.

I found the strainer full of plastic chips last fall and the only thing I can think of is that I got it too tight when reinstalling (didn’t use any tools though,just hand tight), or it was just defective.

Fix was simple enough. I ordered a new strainer assembly (couldn’t find just the bowl) from Amazon and all is fixed. Fresh water tank is full and no leaks. I ordered two and now have an extra for my just in case parts cache.

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its funny how that extra parts case just keeps filling up and, in many cases, you never use that spare! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
When I winterize my 2013 Ace 30.1 I always make sure to add enough pink antifreeze to the fresh water tank as well in order to displace any fresh water that may remain in the fresh tank or feed line to the pump and filter. Once I see pink coming through the winterization hose from the fresh tank I close that valve and then start drawing up pink anti freeze through the winterization tube into the filter, pump and rest of the system (excluding hot water tank of course). What might have happened is some fresh water from the potable tank may have somehow (leaky fresh tank valve perhaps) mixed with the pink in your filter housing.....enough to allow freezing to crack the filter housing. Of course the other thing perhaps is over tightening the cap on the filter housing? By the way after five years I still occasionally find plastic bits from the fresh tank holes the factory drilled for sensors etc.

One other note on this coach is that I also now leave the grey tank valve open all Winter (with shallow tray below to catch any drips) because one year I thought enough pink was in the grey tank (from Ptraps and other winterization procedures) closed the grey tank drain valve......and then the next Spring had a cracked grey ABS fitting near the grey valve to try to replace. That was exciting since the grey valve had to align into the repaired area squarely.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine was cracked just like that from the factory..... well it could have been the dealership I guess....