Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2019, 03:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
Cracked Windshield on My Thor ACE

One of those days. Traveling from Ohio to Massachusetts. Truck passed me and as he moved over to my lane, he threw up a rock (or something) that hit the lower part of the windshield. Windshield cracked and has several lines that are growing. i took the next exit and spent over an hour on the phone with Good Sam Roadside Assistance. It was kind of a wasted hour. The young guy was nice enough to talk to but wasn't much help. He gave me the name of a local shop and address. I went there but they don't repair windshields, they use a local guy. They gave me his number but all I got was v-mail. I called Safe Lite Auto glass and got a recording. Stayed on the line for 15 minutes listening to adds about how great they are but never did talk to a real person. I finally gave up and decided to move on. Drove another 100 miles. I put tape on the top of each crack so that I could see how much the cracks were growing. Yep, they keep growing.
We are now at the KOA in Dubois PA. In the morning i will try to figure out my next move. There is a Camping World in Harrisburg so I will probably give them a call. Doubt that they will have a windshield on hand but worth a try.
Trying to figure out if I can make it to Mass where I will be spending about a week and will have time to try to figure things out.
By the way, it's pretty friggin cold here. 38 right now.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:32 AM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #14952
Sorry to hear you are having trouble on your trip. Windshields that keep growing are scary enough in a car, but in a RV with that huge windshield, that is really tough. I hope you arrive safely in MA and are able to get it repaired prior to your trip back home.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
Custom Glass Solutions always has an ad in the FMCA magazine, personaly don't know anything about them but its an 800 number so it doesn't hurt to give them a call 1-855-362-2784
Old 10-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #4

State: New York
THOR #12610
windshield cracked

I had this happen twice. First time I called number on my ins card ,they sent me to another company tht does MH windows. She told me there was a $550.00 copay. I told her I paid for full coverage and got nowhere with her. When I got home I called number on my ins policy and all was taken care of both times. Check your policy and call reps there. Also the window and frame need to be ordered and it took weeks, I had to travel some and leave it for 4 days. The weight of window requires extra time for sealers to cure. I hope you have full coverage.Windshield costs in thousands.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:55 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleflier View Post
I had this happen twice. First time I called number on my ins card ,they sent me to another company tht does MH windows. She told me there was a $550.00 copay. I told her I paid for full coverage and got nowhere with her. When I got home I called number on my ins policy and all was taken care of both times. Check your policy and call reps there. Also the window and frame need to be ordered and it took weeks, I had to travel some and leave it for 4 days. The weight of window requires extra time for sealers to cure. I hope you have full coverage.Windshield costs in thousands.
I found out how expensive when a rock hit the lower
middle of the windshield and it cracked, I called safelite and they told me they don't do class a motorhomes but gave me a number for a business in my town who will do them.
I called them and he said the windshield alone was 4000.00 so I called my insurance company and they ended up calling the same company but it only cost my deductible of 500.00 and took 3 month's to get it from thor as I told them I only wanted the factory windshield and not aftermarket because aftermarkets are not as thick as the oem and are prone to leaking,
and it was a shame motorhome sat for 3 months but due to there mistakes in ordering it they didn't make me pay the difference between aftermarket and oem and just had to leave it for 2 days.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #6

Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
Try sending photo of stamp on windshield in advance to speed up the process. It worked for me.
I have read a recent thread about tire insurance , I purchased a (policy) from camping world for windshield. Actually a product called , I m guessing Crystal Fission, will clarify next time I am in MH. It was a liquid application on windshield . I was extremely sceptical that anything would protect glass from a rock. A year later windshield had a crack from top to bottom. Windshield was replaced under purchased product. I don't have confidence in closest CW but I have had better luck with Thor approved shop only 1/2 hour from home. One piece glass, Palazzo 33.2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170711_151043727.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	20906  
Old 10-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Great idea on taking the photo. I will be doing that today and adding the photo into my Thor file bag. Thank you!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:40 AM   #8

THOR #4541
Thanks for all the input folks. I think i have things worked out after a lot of time on the phone. It really helps to have an insurance agent that works hard to help. I have Donegal Insurance and they use Safelite Solutions to handle windshield claims. Unfortunately the guy from Safelite didn't really understand RV windshield issues. I found a small company that takes care of windshields for a local RV dealer. I got a quote from them but Safelight decided that the quote was to high and that they would negotiate a better price. Well, that didn't work out so well. I asked how much they were offering and he wouldn't tell me. I called the windshield repair place and they told me that Safelite Solutions offered him 10% above the cost of the windshield ($180) plus $90 labor. So they wanted to pay this guy $270. It costs $500 to ship the windshield. I called my agent and he said he would make some calls. The next day i got an e-mail from my agent telling me that Donegal would be sending me a check for the Amount quoted by the windshield repair company, minus my deductible. Windshield is on order and I am scheduled to have it installed next Friday. Interesting experience and a good outcome. I plan on getting a bottle of Maker's Mark for my insurance agent.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #13370
I recently got a 20" crack on the passenger side of my 2015 Thor Axis 25.1.
So far have called 2 places and was quoted $3,200 by one and $4,800 by another. Yikes - I think I'll try for a couple more quotes. I am near Houston, TX
if anyone out there has any leads. Thanks,
Phil
Old 11-13-2019, 01:48 AM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post

So far have called 2 places and was quoted $3,200 by one and $4,800 by another. Yikes - I think I'll try for a couple more quotes. I am near Houston, TX

Phil

Have comprehensive coverage on your RV (auto) insurance policy? Should cover windshield (less deductible in some states)...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #11

THOR #4541
Try calling a couple of local RV dealers to see who they use to replace windshields. Most contract it out to local windshield repair places. I assume you have insurance that covers all but your deductible. My windshield replacement was $3,100. The windshield itself was $1,800 plus $500 shipping. Took about a week to get it shipped.
Your insurance company probably uses a go-between to set things up.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #12

THOR #13370
Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like my next step is a call to my insurer to
see what they say about it.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #13

Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
THOR #14300
Cracked windshield

Had the same thing happen to me last April. First trip on the RV going to Sun and Fun air show in Lakeland Fl with the Grandkids . Was only 10 miles from the house and took a rock. By the time we get there we had 2 large cracks. Called our insurance company Progressive ( they were great), sent them a few pictures and the windshield was delivered in about 10 days to repair shop who came right to the house and did the replacement. Luckily in Florida there is no deductible for glass. Overall a very easy process.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #14

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post
Phil

If you can't find anyone local, contact Diamond D Glass in Canyon Lake TX, between Austin & San Antonio. Prices for homes always the best, don't know about RV's. I've seen many rigs getting glass replaced as I drive by there often.

They do RV glass. You can make a short trip of it, stay at the Lodge at Turkey Cove (inexpensive & close) or in New Braunfels, while getting fixed. Lot of things to do in the area.