Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Tornado on a Vegas 25.2

Doc asked me to post these pictures that show the installation of the Tornado on the Black Water Tank. The first shows the installation in the back end of the tank. The second shows the "quick connect" hose connection at the corner of the basement door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2023  

Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Nice, that is a much better installation than my dealer did on ours.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Gerry,

Thanks for Posting. If it quits raining that is my next project. Makes sense to place the input for the Tornado as far away from the output as possible.

I can do that.

Thanks again.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 AM   #4

THOR #2271
Doc,
Somewhere on youtube there is a video of a guy who built a clear plastic tank to test the different ways to keep the black water tank clean. That is where he put the Tornado; opposite the exit. Makes lots of sense.
gerry
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #5

THOR #2142
Gerry,

Great. I will have to check that out prior to doing the drilling.

Doc

Old 08-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Has anyone installed without the hose extension?

We have the 25.2 VEGAS here, and was wondering about just installing the tornado without the hose extension. Since the hose extension is only going to be a couple of feet away (if that) from the tornado connection.

Since both would be easily accessible from the compartment door.

Just wondered what you more experienced tornado users thought about that
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

THOR #2271
I would use the extension. Otherwise you have to reach into the middle of the tank on the aft end. Apparantly some dealers have installed it on the side. That is incorrect. It needs to be opposite of the drain.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #8

THOR #4687
you just placed the extension by the back of the black water compartment, correct?

You just screwed it into the edge of the compartment?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #9

THOR #2271
Yes. And, if you notice, I also used a quick connerct.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

THOR #4687
So that is a quick connect on the end of the extension?

Where do you connect the back flush preventer?
Old 08-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #11

THOR #2271
There is no need for a back flush preventer. You are forcing water into the black tank. The extension has a cap to keep "stuff" in.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #12

THOR #2142
The set up on the 25.2 may be different, but on our 24.1 I mounted the Tornado on the rear surface upper inside corner (as high as I could get (so as to be as far away from the drain on the black tank). I ran the extension hose on the side of the tank towards the center of the RV (there was plenty of room) and two or three zip ties and it is secure. I mounted the fill end to the top of the lower compartment with the Black and Gray drain handles and "twistable" drain pipe. I will be adding a quick disconnect after my next trip to the Hardware Store.

This weekend was the second time with the Tornado unit installed. If needed I fill to 2/3rds using the Tornado, open the drain, let it all out, close the drain and refill to 2/3rds. Then open the drain and let it rip, close it again, for the second refill/rinse I add 2 good squirts of Blue Dawn in the toilet as the Tornado does it's thing, fill to 2/3rds (while the Tornado is doing the refill I dump the Gray Water Tank). Then I dump the Black tank and let the water run until the suds are gone and the water "appears" clearish.

Doc

Old 08-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #13

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
WOW! What IS a Tornado-- you guys are way too Techno for us but we fine it intriguing that you RV geek Out!!! LOL Man---to think like that is amazing!!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #14

THOR #2271
It is a device that installs on the aft end of your Black Water Tank. When you turn on the water pressure, an arm extends ad sends jets of water to loosen any stuck stuff. is a video that explains it AND you can see it at work on a clear tank.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #15

THOR #2142
WillowRun,

There are three laws to plumbing:
1. Hot on Left.
2. Cold on Right.
3. "Poop" flows downhill.

When dealing with rule #3 and an RV, sometimes you must assist in getting Poop to flow down hill and that is what devices like the Tornado do. During a hot summer week of camping...you don't want that stuff "sticking around" any longer than it has to.

Doc

Old 08-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #16

THOR #2271
Sometimes I wish this forum had a like button,
Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #17

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Gbrown...definitely needs like great approval button!
Doc...great explanation! Yes,poop rolls down hill....now this Super C has a built in Poop blower so to speak...maybe kinda the same? We can hook our water to the side of the tank and it supposedly washes the black tank while we have it open to drain....same idea??you
Old 08-22-2016, 12:52 AM   #18
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I think there is a fourth law of plumbing... You will always need to change one more (valve, faucet, washer) thing than you planned on at the start of the project... Holds very true for home plumbing projects at least.

My Hurricane had no way to (easily or even moderately) access the opposite end of the tank from the drain valve... SO I installed it on the side - which had the advantage of being in the 'drain bay' so no extension hose was needed. While maybe not the ideal - it is still far better than any other solution I have tried...

I used a FlushKing on last RV - with a relatively straight shot to the tank... One look at the Hurricane's drain plumbing with a 180 degree bend as it exits the tank, and another 90 degree bend to the discharge told me I needed an 'in tank' solution.

The Tornado can have any cap on it that it wants - but since I am teeing off my fresh water supply line just outside the RV to drive the 'flush' - and the flush hose isn't a drinking water quality hose - I'll keep my own back flush preventer in place at the tee...

And yes WillowRun - sounds like you have something very similar.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #19

THOR #2142
WillowRun,

Sounds like it.

This past weekend we were camping next to a family of three with a new conventional pull behind camper. The owner heard the Tornado working and asked what it was. I explained it to him and then he pointed out he had some kind of BlackTank rinser...he was interested because he did not know how it worked.

Come to find out, his day to day job...sewer repair septic tank technician! I kid you not!! Small world.

Doc

Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #20

THOR #2142
GMC,

On the first line off the T from the supplied water I have a pressure guage and filter for the water going into the RV's system. On my second tee I have a flush back preventer on it for the second hose that goes to a little plastic outside sink/fish cleaning table attached on the rear bumper (got it from Home Depo, $60 S&H, "Clean-It Outdoor Sink with Large Counter Top" Model #RSI-S2). It is that second hose that I use for the Tornado when needed.

Yep, as I repair and/or replace plumbing stuff I keep a backup for very connector that is plumbing related...just incase it breaks again.