Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Water leak solved - NOT

In my previous posts I’ve talked about my constant water leaks. I thought I got ahead of them but silly me. This morning in Holland MI it was a downpour and my window over the cab over bunk had the tap on - water leaking like crazy. Frustrated, I took the shade off and found the window installed with a bent inside frame and not sealed at the top - drip, drip, drip. A few photos for your amusement.

I’m headed to Elkhart this weekend for a factory tour on Monday so I can see first hand how these things are built. I might contact my customer rep and tell her this needs to be fixed in or out of warranty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6341.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	17248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6344.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	17249

Old 05-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
If you had water entering in the cap area check the lower part of your wing walls, the small walls that start at the rear of the cab. Look in the area below the running boards, you may find water has gotten in and soaked the inner plywood.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Both the drivers side window and passenger side window on our Challenger look exactly the same, which I only recently noticed. However we have zero leaks. I would suggest the water is getting in somewhere else and finding it's way out through there, and that it's not actually the source of the leak. Just a thought. Sorry for your trouble!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	17259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3428.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	17260  

Name:	IMG_3429.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	17261  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
If you had water entering in the cap area check the lower part of your wing walls, the small walls that start at the rear of the cab. Look in the area below the running boards, you may find water has gotten in and soaked the inner plywood.
please forgive the hijack, but I have to ask...did you have this happen? I'm curious how you fixed it.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

THOR #10823
Yes, both my wing walls are soaked. Passenger side the lower 6 inches is bad, drivers side about the lower 3 inches. Right now they are sealed with flex seal tape while I wait for a call from Thor on getting them fixed properly.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

THOR #9511
It was a nice day so I traced the path of where I think the water is flowing. There is T trim just forward of the ceiling vent in the cab over. The water is getting in on the right side near or on the roof and traveling in the T trim and ceiling seam to the left side of the coach. I’m parked a little low on the front left so this makes sense. I look on the roof and no obvious signs of a place for water to get it and I know this probably isn’t true. I looked at my wing wall on the right and it is punky all the way down the wall and rotted at the bottom. Also, the trim one the corner of the wing wall and right wall is loose and moves a good bit when pushed. Just inside and behind the wing wall in the coach a wall seam has bowed and has delaminated. Not good. I also noticed that the bolts holding the power awning to the coach are in crooked and not tight to the awning bracket. My current theory is the awning bolts are letting water in. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6367.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	17283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6373.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	17284Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6376.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	17285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6374.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	17286Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6377.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	17287
Old 05-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

THOR #10823
Sorry to hear jimbo. Water intrusion seems to be a huge issue on these class C's. Geocel 2300 MHRV, not cheap but works really good. Start pulling every screw you can get to, pump the hole full of Geocel and replace the screw then caulk around everything. I also have been replacing my rusty screws with stainless steel ones as I go through them.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #8

THOR #9511
Ok, 14 hours of steady light rain, not a downpour like the other day. I checked for leaks before turning in and didn’t have any. Woke up around 3PM and the window was leaking. No visible drips along the t trim. Used a paper towel corner this morning and no water where the t trim meets the wall above the bunk window. Gets me full circle to the window being the problem...at least the exit for the water, still not sure where it is coming in. The leak is at the very top of the window so it could be the window or coming in thru the wall or ceiling somehow.

Took the garnish off of the fan and no signs of water leaking or discoloration. The running lights on the cab were sealed in Nov when I had water issues. I laid a blanket across the cab under the t trim in hopes to catch a line of drips as a breadcrumb trail back to the source but no drips.

Left side cab over storage area has gotten wet and expanded the particle board. I can see where the water has leaked from the window, hit the storage area, ran along the left front base and what looks like exited the coach at the seam under the cab - it is stained the storage bin color. I pulled the cup holders in the cab over and found mold against the outside wall.

I need time to digest all of this and figure my next steps...but I’m sure I’ll be pulling the interior cab over apart. Guess it is time to get the hose out and try to find the leak. Sad, only 24 months old.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Water is relentless. But I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Has to be getting in somewhere. Good luck
Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #10

THOR #10823
Quote:
Water is relentless.

Brother is that true! The leak that soaked and rotted our step well didn't leak a drop in the rain. But, a late winter snow led me to it. Snow sitting on the rain shield over the door melted and found it's way in through a hole in the factory caulk seam. Ran down the door jam and right into the step.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #11

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I feel for you, we experienced the same thing when our coach was new. It took the dealer 4 different times and a year in the shop to get fixed. They really don’t know where the leak came from but they resealed the window, replaced it. Resealed the marker lights and in the end resealed everything on the roof. Resealing the roof from front to end cap is finally got it but they could never pin point the actual leak. We did have to replace part of the bunk in the inside because the mold was bad. I would suggest getting a dehumidifier and running that to take some moisture out of the air for the mold problem. Good luck I feel your pain.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #12

THOR #1249
Had the same thing happen and the leak was coming in slowly over a couple of years causing the wall covering to get "Acne" as Ed said. When removing the wall covering it turned into more than expected. You can take a look at the thread below for more info. Good luck with your leak.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...cne-12236.html