Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Florida
THOR #13677
dash a/c intermittent

I have a 2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD, when I turn the ignition to on, sometimes the dash a/c blower comes on, and sometimes not. If I continue to cycle the key, off and on, eventually it will work. It will continue to work, with no trouble, until it's shut off again.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
G Goguen

Old 09-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hi, when the ignition is on and the blower motor is not working, are there any other ignition “on” enabled circuits failing to work as well (turn signals for example)? If its just the blower not working then I would check both the inside fuse panel (drivers left foot) and the Ford Power Distribution Box in the engine compartment for blower or blower relay related fuses. Pull and re-seat the fuses and see if that cures the problem. (I assume this is an F53 chassis). It could just be a loose connection on the blower unit or anywhere in its related circuits; like a bad blower relay contact - R5 in the Power Dist Box etc.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

THOR #13677
all other accessories are working fine. I pulled as many relays, as I could locate, while the blower was working, trying to locate the blower relay, to no avail. It is an F53 chasis. I will try and look for the R5 connection you mention.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, I think R5 is the relay assigned to control the blower motor on my 2013 ACE.....might be the same on yours too. R5 is located in the Power Dist Box in the engine compartment central near the air filter box I believe. Sometimes getting into that fuse box is tricky. It may not be the relay but just saying contacts can fail and fuses can loosen in their sockets to become intermittent.

Also fuse 23 in the PDB on mine is a 40 amp fuse for the blower unit; and fuse 7 by the driver foot is labelled blower motor relay coil on my Ford chassis information for 2012 chassis (2013 coach).
Old 09-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

THOR #13677
Thanks, always an adventure to locate everything in an RV.
Probably be a few days before I can look into it any further. Put the unit in storage lot yesterday. I'll definitely check those items when I can.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
I had an intermittent fan recently and had to replace the blower motor. Not too bad of a job.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #7

THOR #2631
If your Ford Power Distribution Box (in engine bay) is the same as mine you might get frustrated trying to figure out how to get into it to check fuses and relays. Part of the problem on my old ACE was I could not see or easily feel where the release tab was on the PDB.......so this may make your access (or anyone else with a similar PDB) easier. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Only One Clip Releases the Lid.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	20538  
Old 09-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
My problem is getting the air to,flow out the dashboard vents, it does defrost, floor, but rarely will go to dash, I can get a bit of air, but no decent amount to keep cool. My wife bought a Noggle and hooked it to the floor ventnto get air circulation about out feet. Tried all the relays, and they look good. On out last trip, it actually
worked on the dash for 2 days. On the third day when it got to 88, no dash airflow making it a bit warm above and freezing my feet. Anyone ever have this issue too?

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:19 AM   #9
Ron

THOR #1675
The Evans Tempcon system uses vacuum to control the air flow. If there is a vacuum leak, or for some other reason no vacuum to system, it defaults flow to the defroster vents. I had this problem once and the vacuum line near the chassis battery (engine battery up front) had been eaten through by battery acid. I fixed it and re-routed the line away from the battery. Now it works fine.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #17397
Thank you for your post. Blower fan going out on Vegas 25.2. I expect most Thor have similar dash design. I would appreciate any help with description of how to access fan area and pixs would be great.
Mick
captmick1@gmail.com
501-253-8023
Old 11-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
Ron

THOR #1675
On my unit (and probably others), if you lay down on the floor in front of the copilot seat and look under the dash, you will see the fan. There are hex head screws holding it into the housing. The wires are on a plug. I had to pull the dash out slightly to get enough room to pull the fan rearward and once it cleared the housing it will drop down and out.

Not really hard and didn’t take too long.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

THOR #17397
Remove blower fan

I was not so lucky in easy access. I went under the dash, removed the flange holding in the motor. Motor only comes out partly, hit the knee wall of the dash, with about 1 1/2" more still in housing. How do I remove the dash?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
Ron

THOR #1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmick1@gmail.com View Post
I was not so lucky in easy access. I went under the dash, removed the flange holding in the motor. Motor only comes out partly, hit the knee wall of the dash, with about 1 1/2" more still in housing. How do I remove the dash?
Before you remove the dash, try this. Find the nearest brace holding the dash in place in the area of the blower motor ... or the nearest two braces if there is a brace on each side of the motor. Unscrew those braces (they are probably wood gussets...triangular shaped) from the dash and see if you can pry the dash rearward enough to get the motor out.

You should be able to see some braces from under the dash while looking at the blower motor.

I guarantee a RV tech wouldn't remove the entire dash.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #14

THOR #17397
Vegas 25.2 blower fan replacement

Finally finished replacing blower fan after a lot of reading advice from y’all. But not after a lot of head banging. Thank you Ron, for suggesting removing braces, but dash did not budge. Another thank you to Sandrooney for suggestion to disconnect fan from motor. I could not find the set screw. That suggestion may have worked, but after talking to the GREAT guys at Comfort Air, learned the new components are one piece. So nothing left to do but just cut into dash front panel. Cut a hole large enough to get the fan out, replaced component $120 from Comfort Air, installed speaker cover over opening. I saw in another post that one of Thor’s replies to customers is “???? is almost impossible to replace after the final assembly of the coach.” Oh so true, I wanted to insulate the doghouse. Before I could remove one of the housing screws I had to sacrifice another brace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	373DA9A2-FB97-4365-B631-36000C08AF50.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	21751   Click image for larger version

Name:	3AEF7A0B-2D5F-4CCE-B439-2CB5CE88E306.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	21752  

Name:	DE5776DF-FC20-41A3-B2B7-1DAD51EA67F9.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	21753  
Old 12-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #15
Ron

THOR #1675
That makes it real easy to get in there now! Good job coming up with a creative solution!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #16
Ron

THOR #1675
sensitive temperature control

Captmick1@gmail.com, Is your temperature control really sensitive on your coach? I keep my temp knob pointing to the 8 to 9 o'clock position but if I move it by the smallest increment possible it will go from too cold to too hot.

Is anybody else's that sensitive?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:54 AM   #17

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
My issue is more with Heat than with AC! I have the heat all the way over to 6 o'clock and if I go to 5 o'clock I start to get cold air. I also have issues with the dash vent opening to allow air to flow other than to the floor or defrost. In the summer my left foot can get pretty hot or cold. Tried pretty much everything to get this to work properly but nothing seems to work and I'm not pulling the dash apart.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoguen View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD, when I turn the ignition to on, sometimes the dash a/c blower comes on, and sometimes not. If I continue to cycle the key, off and on, eventually it will work. It will continue to work, with no trouble, until it's shut off again.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
G Goguen
Did you ever figure out what it was? I had the exact same problem on my 2008 Hurricane. For a while it would usually come on after cycling the key a few times. Sometimes if that didn't work it would 'magically' start working after some time. Unfortunately, the blower now won't turn on at all.

The blower motor seems fine as it works when I connect it directly to the battery.

I've checked every fuse, relay, and the selector switch and they all check out fine. As far as I can tell the wiring is intact everyone.

However, it's obvious there's something I haven't checked since it's not working...

Does anyone know if the BCC controls the fan circuit separately?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #19

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Camp View Post
Did you ever figure out what it was? I had the exact same problem on my 2008 Hurricane. For a while it would usually come on after cycling the key a few times. Sometimes if that didn't work it would 'magically' start working after some time. Unfortunately, the blower now won't turn on at all.

The blower motor seems fine as it works when I connect it directly to the battery.

I've checked every fuse, relay, and the selector switch and they all check out fine. As far as I can tell the wiring is intact everyone.

However, it's obvious there's something I haven't checked since it's not working...

Does anyone know if the BCC controls the fan circuit separately?

Looks like you have a 2008 which is likely similar to my 2013 ACE BCC (perhaps ?). If so there is a HVAC 25 amp fuse (F9) inside the BCC feeding through pin 2 on P5 Accessory plug (if wired out). You could try looking carefully inside your BCC unit to see if P5 is wired out and check the 25 amp fuse. Attaching a schematic of the BCC (P5 connector is shown on the right side). I hope this helps you out. By the way RV Custom Products also posts BCC schematic information on their web site. If you have not read how it works, it is very useful info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Custom Products Schematic.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	35629  
Old 01-15-2022, 12:59 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
Thanks - I will check that out tomorrow! Hopefully that'll be the smoking gun...