Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
De-winerizing & water pump/heater

Gents & Ladies, Though I'm not new to M/Hs, this is my first Thor Windsport. Since I'm in Nashville, TN, I winterized by blowing air through the lines AND added RV anti-freeze. I bypassed the water heater, (i'm sure as I emptied it) and after flushing out the anti-freeze (pink stuff), I returned the valves to "un-bypass) the water heater. Now, I'm filling the water heater to insure it doesn't leak and the water pump does not stop pumping, even though the water heater is full. In the two Bounders I've owned, as soon as the water heater was full of water, the pump stopped.
The rear of the water heater is behind a panel in the bedroom of the '17 Windsport 31S and easy enough to get to. I know I had by passed the heater and I feel certain I've returned it to the normal position, since I have filled it, but can't figure why the pump still operates. It is going to be difficult to work on, if that's necessary.
I suspected I had left the "outside shower" vales open, but checked them and they were closed. I find NO leaks, or at least any evidence of leaks anywhere in the coach.

I'd appreciate any ideas as we leave on Apr 2 for Sun N Fun in FL.

Bruce W,
'17 Windsport 31 S
USAF (Ret.)

Old 03-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
My first thought is to make sure you have all the air is out of the system. Second, make sure you have all the low point drains closed. Next to the pump is a valve that allows you to pump antifreeze from a jug, make sure it's set to draw from the tank.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
I'm positive all the air is out, since I've run water through all the faucets, from the fresh water tank and the pump worked great then. That makes me think there is nothing wrong with the pump and there is no leak.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #6664
I had a similar situation. The culprit was a shut off valve between the fresh water tank and the pump. The pump would continue to run because it could never get to equal pressure on both sides.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:39 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If the pump is running like that its either:
  • Lost its prime
  • or there is a leak
If there is a leak you should be able to see where its going (either underneath the unit, or somewhere inside).
Did you remember to put the plug back in the water heater on the outside?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have no leaks and your valves are set correctly then you have a bad pressure limit switch on the pump. Easy fix.