Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Nevada
THOR #4737
Dead House Battery-ACE

When I left the RV Park this morning after 2.5 weeks, the MH wouldn't start, so I called AAA and got jumped. That taught me that even though the key is out there's still a drain on the battery if anything on the dash is left in the on position (A/C). It did work to jump and I drove about 5 hours never shutting it off. BUT, it seems that the house battery is dead and the usual driving did not charge it. My question is: where is the best place to buy a new house battery. Does it have to be a RV Service place? BTW, with the generator running, I seem to have power, but gone once I turn the generator off.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Sounds like a bad battery. I would replace it with a deep cycle marine battery which is available at most auto parts stores. Make sure you get the same group size so you won't have fitment problems.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
SuperD...are you saying to replace the start battery with a Deep Cycle? I thought your Deep Cycle batteries were used for house only.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Or make sure your store/use switch is in "USE" with the engine running, and check the multitude of DC breakers that can disconnect the batteries from the charging/load buss.

Don't "assume" anything is bad (it may well be).

Logically troubleshoot the issue and save yourself some $$$$$.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #5
Site Team

State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
SuperD...are you saying to replace the start battery with a Deep Cycle? I thought your Deep Cycle batteries were used for house only.
Other than the jump start I thought we were talking about house batteries, as I'm sure SuperD was as well. After the 5 hour drive does your coach start again?

BTW, the A/C left on will not drain the chassis battery; has to be something else. With Thor, you never know what they have powered from the chassis battery that doesn't go through the ignition switch.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #6

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
No, I was referring the dead house battery.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #7

Model: ACE
State: Nevada
THOR #4737
Thanks! Rig did start up. I made sure the store/use button was on use. I've had that happen before, didn't think to double check that. That may have been it! Thanks so much!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I have to say I'm a little confused. Jump starting is the chassis battery. If the house battery was dead, the generator would not start. Does your Ace have an emergency start switch that combines the house and chassis bateteries for starting? I highly recommend 2 house batteries with a switch like we use on boats. You can have the switch on, off, battery 1, battery 2, or both. Very easy to hook up.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:44 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
I have to say I'm a little confused. Jump starting is the chassis battery. If the house battery was dead, the generator would not start. Does your Ace have an emergency start switch that combines the house and chassis bateteries for starting? I highly recommend 2 house batteries with a switch like we use on boats. You can have the switch on, off, battery 1, battery 2, or both. Very easy to hook up.
Yeah... I was confused too. Sounds like the problem was solved though.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #10

State: Virginia
THOR #7607
The last place to buy a battery would be at an RV store. I bought the same exact battery that CW had "On Sale" for $139 at Tractor Supply for $79. And it had a sticker that said it was made just last month.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
house battery

Another subtlety is that the Use/Store relay wont reset to USE if the battery output has fallen below 2V....you have to charge the batteries directly until you get them back above the level or get the house load reconnected before the relay will reset.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Another good source for the chassis and house battery is Walmart. I am in the automotive business. Walmart batteries are manufactured by a reputable company. The MAXX grade has a 3 year FREE replacement then 2 year prorated. Mine always seem to go bad in less than the 3 year FREE replacement period. Humm!!!
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #13

State: South Carolina
THOR #11622
Where is the chassis battery to jump start the vehicle? I've had it in storage and everything is dead. I could not unlock the front panel with the round keys they gave us. Is that where the battery is located? It's a 2016 ACE 29.4.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #14

THOR #5196
You should have a switch on the dash labeled “Emergency Start”, this ties the chassis batteries to the engine battery. Hopefully your chassis batteries are charged.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #15

State: South Carolina
THOR #11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You should have a switch on the dash labeled “Emergency Start”, this ties the chassis batteries to the engine battery. Hopefully your chassis batteries are charged.
I tried that; however the chassis batteries must be dead also. My next plan is to ride over to Camping World (4 miles) and have them show me where the battery is located. Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #16

THOR #5196
One more thing to try, if you can, plug the coach in and allow the batteries to charge. Make sure the use/store switch is in the use position.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgweaving View Post
I tried that; however the chassis batteries must be dead also. My next plan is to ride over to Camping World (4 miles) and have them show me where the battery is located. Thanks
oood luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
My house battery that came on my Thor Class C, died on 5/7/18. Checked voltage and 12v. Checked next day: 11.66v. It was group 27. Bought RV on 5/20/17. Bought a new AGM Deep Cycle RV Battery 92AH on 5/8/18. Great Battery. 4 year full replacement. An XR2 Battery.