Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Nothing has seemed to work so far - cleaned all the sensors and will now check the spray connection in the exhaust system - information from a friend of mine and empty the DEF ank and start again- something has got to work besides another trip to the service center which can't get me in until mid next week. arghhh!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #42

THOR #13712
Oh, and BTW, if you have a DP and do your own oil changes - on the Palazzo - 15 minutes to drain and change the filter, 45 minutes to refill the 17 quarts of oil - what moron came up with the fill tube design I have no idea - but the "moron engineer"needs a lesson in gravity!! the fill tube is horizontal for 6 to 8 inches, goes up for a curve and then down into the engine! I had to jury rig a funnel and 2 1/2 foot piece of hose to get the oil in and stand on a ladder to get height to have the flow going over the up-rise in the pipe! Some of the stuff you see when you don't have a bat and the designer!!!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #43

Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
I don't know how I missed your post asking if I could show you where def heater relay is , sorry blizzard and terrible cold had me distracted. Photo is of the fuse box cover. The larger square is the def heater relay which is what was causing my error fault code. I pulled the relay out and tried to find a replacement at NAPA auto parts with no luck. One of the four pins was not making contact. TransWest mechanic tweaked the metal receiver so it would be a tight fit. Don't know if you found fuse box. Mine is in the inverter compartment , passenger side behind rear wheel. 15 amp def heater fuse is also in photo, check this first.
Agree with you on the oil filler tube. A ladder a funnel and a 4 foot piece of tubing and you can add oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_000106.jpg
Views:	3262
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	16202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_000200.jpg
Views:	5569
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	16203  

Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #44

THOR #13712
Thanks roncalderz, sorry you are having weather and health issues - I saw the storm and wind speeds - glad I'm not driving there! I'll check the fuses, but for me the low warning light didn't show any heater issues (unless they map the same warning light) - I'm still searching for the problem. I disconnected the DEF line from the Doser nozzle (after getting the antifreeze line wrong first and a arm full of fluid) and started the engine, plenty of DEF fluid came out the end, pump seems to run ok, so I'm back to a faulty sensor. So I'm back to trying to find the actual sensor connection that I might be able to override or at least identify for replacement. spent 6 hours yesterday with the oil change and chasing the Def issue, and then I quit when the rain soaked me enough to say "Miller Time". I'm going to empty the def tank today and send an inspection camera into the tank and see what I find - if anything. I'm also going to pull the whole Doser assembly off the exhaust system and make sure there are no crystals - shouldn't be with only 12.5k mules on this coach, but I'll check everything. and on Monday we head to the Freightliner shop in hopes of getting the coach back in a reasonable period of time (lol). This has been an adventure to say the least. And a question: does the red light on the Def tank gauge mean the power is on or there is a problem with the system - I thought it means power is on and gauge is registering properly - which in my case is full-up!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #45

THOR #13712
While not the same issue, has anyone tried the main battery cutoff on their Thor? I tried mine yesterday to see if disconnecting the battery would eliminate the code. So off I go to pull the negative cable off the 2 big 12 volts and checked by turning the key and - dash has power - hummm! Used the battery cutoff switch (similar to what I have on my boat - mine works though) in the compartment that has the positive cables for the big 12's and - dash has power - really a hummmm! So now I'm chasing something else I guess but not today! What do you have to do to kill power to the dash in these Thor units!

Old 03-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #46

THOR #13375
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"Getting Thor to pickup the bill is another issue"

This is not a Thor issue..they pick up enough of their own bills. This is an issue with the chassis/engine manufacturer and their warranty should cover it.
Got it, thanks 👍
Old 03-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #47

THOR #13375
Have you checked all Def related relays ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_091935.jpg
Views:	11433
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	16204  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #48

THOR #13712
Checked everything and so far I think it's down to the exhaust system and Doser valve. Pulled it iff and there was a lot of crystalline around the opening, pulled the actual valve and tried to clean it - looks like 3 little atomizer holes in the end. Took a bristle from a wire brush and tried to clean them out and have no idea if I got anywhere - will know soon enough!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #49

THOR #13712
still think I'm going to have a code reset issue - can't get my ODBC II Reader to recognize the Freightliner codes I guess - dash diagnostics did show a 1569 and 1761 codes i think

Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #50

THOR #13712
Status update: Took everything in the def system apart that I could, took 7 gals of Def fluid out of the tank and it registered properly both on the dash and at the tank meter but no luck. Did find a bunch of crystal debris around the Doser valve/exhaust connection and cleaned that all at, but no go. I was hoping that the error code just needed to be cleared as my OBDC II Connection reader could never link to the Cummins - had all the right plugs, just getting a linage failure. So off to Freightliner at 6 am this morning as the are first come first served and at 7 am when they opened I was first. Just received a call that they have to replace the Def tank head unit - where everything goes in and out of the tank - sensors, pump lines, etc. They say that it will take them a day to get parts and install everything. Good news is that I still have 3 years on the emissions systems warranty and 1 year on the engine/chassis warranty so it should be free, just taking time that is the problem for us - headed to western KY as soon as we get the coach back, Mother in-law is 90 plus and wants to see family.

Thanks to all for the ideas and advice, I learned a lot while crawling around under the engine, now on to changing the generator oil and air filter - without a lift and not being skinny, it should be quite the challenge!

If any Palazzo owners have experience on oil generator maint. on a Onan 6k generator that does not slide out, pass on your lessons learned. I'm not sure why they ever but a stationary generator unit in here they should all slide for maintenance. I wonder if you can convert it?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #51

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
..."Thanks to all for the ideas and advice, I learned a lot while crawling around under the engine, now on to changing the generator oil and air filter - without a lift and not being skinny, it should be quite the challenge!"...

I'm fortunate to have a full-on Cummins Service Center 15 minutes from my house. They service generators for $150. A little steep but much easier on the back and knees. Takes an hour and no appointment necessary. They also change the chassis oil and filters.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #52

THOR #13712
I wish I had that proximity to a service center, FL/Cummins dealer is 21 miles and backed up for what seems like weeks when you call, so I try to do most thing myself. Now, if I can just find a pit to drive over for about 30 minutes!! We bought the coach used (It's a 2018 and now has 12k miles on it) and are changing all fluids as if they did nothing to maintain the unit - that way we have all service intervals and parts known to us and documented. Oil seemed pretty dark when I changed this past weekend, now for the genny!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #53

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Oil in a diesel will get black real quick...but you never know what they did. Miles are low and most "big diesels" can go 10-12K or more between change intervals..but you are doing the right thing...it ain't what you know...it's what you don't know that's more important. Oil changes and chassis lubrication is the most ignored service requirement on most motorhomes.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:22 AM   #54

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Called Cummins and it's a Frieghtliner issue I'm told - can't get in until Wednesday at best. Trying something with FL - said leave the key on for 2 hours to see if the ERG or something resets - thinks that's BS but will try anything right now. As far as the DEF tank size, not interested in an argument over it - it's full that's all I know, and show full on both dash and tank gauge. Tried my OBDCII reader with the adapter - no luck and I'm told that unless you have the Cummins software you can't reset the check engine light anyway. will pull the negative battery cable next after hearing that annoying key alarm for 2 hours. At least it gave me time to change the oil! Thanks all for all input and suggestions - we need to help each other on these issues as service is a challenge for us all!
Leaving the key on will do nothing but by cycling key in 1 sec intervals 4 times will reset a lot of codes,but the egr valve has nothing to do with your problem and I kinda expected the def header was at fault,as far as resetting codes only 2 programs will do that either jpro or cummins insite, funny thing my service truck broke down today and I have the laptop with cummins software and yep it was a def heater line derated it to 5mph so had it towed back will repair tomorrow, it is normal to see dried def around the dosing unit doesn't mean that is at fault and if it was that you would have codes for nox levels but at least your under warrenty as the def headers are expensive.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:29 AM   #55

THOR #13712
Thanks for the info and sorry you had the breakdown today. Picked up the coach, no charge but funny that they cost themselves a lot of money - it seems that they put the wrong unit in the first time based on the diagnosis notes I have - tech missed a dash extension letter on the first go around, guess there is a difference in the units. Will head out in the morning, almost all loaded up.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:27 AM   #56

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Thanks for the info and sorry you had the breakdown today. Picked up the coach, no charge but funny that they cost themselves a lot of money - it seems that they put the wrong unit in the first time based on the diagnosis notes I have - tech missed a dash extension letter on the first go around, guess there is a difference in the units. Will head out in the morning, almost all loaded up.
That is kinda weird though we change probably 3 or 4 def headers in a month and almost always on international trucks and in 10 yrs of doing this I have changed 1 def header because it quit and once when someone added diesel fuel to def tank on a freightliner ,but got my truck up and running today thankfully I didn't have to pay the bills changed both def lines 350.00 and we get a discount.