Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Will onboard air run airtools?

I was considering carrying a basic air tool set on my 2018 Palazzo 33.2 for things like using a powered ratchet to drive the hydraulic pump in case of system failure and other such needs. Does anyone know the tank capacities and the pump CFM, and if they are adaquate for any air tools?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well I have read where most DP RV's either have an attachment for air hose or you can add one later.

And many claim they can run air tools with this attachment (as well as air up tires).

I would think you could add a large air tank if needed.

Hopefully somemone that knows can chime in.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #3

THOR #12839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I have read where most DP RV's either have an attachment for air hose or you can add one later.

And many claim they can run air tools with this attachment (as well as air up tires).

I would think you could add a large air tank if needed.

Hopefully somemone that knows can chime in.
Yes I have the air chuck and bought a 50' hose and fittings and have used it to air the tires; however air tools require a greater CFM supply than airing your tires and short of buying a set of air tools and experimenting, I was hoping someone had direct experience with using them on Palazzos.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #4

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
You can purchase a battery operated impact wrench from Harbor Freight that is "strong" enough to remove your tire lugs for replacement and replace to the required torque on the MH, BIG truck or tractor. Also with less torque for smaller applications. This would eliminate the need for air tools or air connections. Just something to consider.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #5

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
You can purchase a battery operated impact wrench from Harbor Freight that is "strong" enough to remove your tire lugs for replacement and replace to the required torque on the MH, BIG truck or tractor. Also with less torque for smaller applications. This would eliminate the need for air tools or air connections. Just something to consider.
Ok, what is the torque on those RV tires most times?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
air tools

The answer is mostly yes. Your compressor should put out at least 10 cfm at idle. So a ratchet or even an impact gun to change tires on a toad would be no problem. An air stapler to put trim back on, no issue. I would not try to change tires on your coach. That may require a 1" impact at higher pressures. My last coach (gasser) required 450 ft. lbs. and whoever tightened them at the service center after the brake recall put them on so tight, I couldn't budge them with a 3' breaker bar with a 6' pipe on the end, even jumping up and down on it. Got them with my 1" impact at over 150 psi rated at 2000 ft lbs. !
Mike
Old 02-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I pondered the air compressor idea when I bought my RV last year. Finally settled on the idea that about the only thing I would really need to use it for was to put air in the tires. And, maybe, an occasional trim nailer for minor repairs/alterations inside and blow clean floors and under carriage stowage bins.)

Got a 3 gallon/100 PSI compressor from HF that I power up on the RV's AC circuits. Big enough for what I want to do, small enough to put in one corner and forget, and light enough that GF can get it out for me.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
I have used air tools using the coach air system, just set the Cummins up to fast idle (1000 rpm).. had to wait for the compressor to recover after each wheel nut but am retired so no hurry.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
This might help - Air Pressure Booster.

Here is something that I came across today. This might help someone with an onboard compressor.

It was on: rvtechmag.com

Installing an Air Pressure Booster
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #10

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Yes you can run air tools, My Tuscany as a air hose fitting in the front beside my generator, Any Diesel powered motorhome with air brakes and suspension will have twin air tanks and the air governor is factory set at 125psi, that is more than enough air to run and impact or rachet and pump up tires, while you wont be able to run a sandblaster or paint cars with it will run most all air tools and I have used mine for blowing up floatation devices for swimming and use a blow gun for blowing sand and whatever else get in the storage compartments and airing up tires when needed.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:55 AM   #11

THOR #12726
450-485 ft lbs if your running 22.5 tires
Old 02-27-2019, 01:05 AM   #12

THOR #12726
The best thing to remember is to drain the water from your air tanks on a regular basis Dealerships say to do it everyday but I do mine either once a week or when im getting fuel, The reason is with any air compressor it collects moisture in the tanks and if you don't drain them often enough you will end up replacing the air drier and or worse in cold climates have the air system freeze up and not be able to pump air or release the brakes, and no matter what anyone tells you do not add air brake additive to your system as this contains methanol which will ruin the o rings in your abs valves and application valves for normal braking.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #13

THOR #12839
Thanks everyone for the responces. Just trying to choose between buying a set of air tools or cordless tools to add to the DIY kit.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #14

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
Thanks everyone for the responces. Just trying to choose between buying a set of air tools or cordless tools to add to the DIY kit.
Well, that about sums it ip. I got a flat, hope I have a spare tire and the rim. And that's as far as I can go cause all those ft.lbs is too much, I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high and cheater bars are a no no.