Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
So we are on our 2nd Class A gasser. Both were from different makers, problems were the same sort of thing on both. We have had our Challenger now for 29 months and 35k+ miles. Issues - you betcha. They go with driving a box down the road at 68 MPH. Some were there when we bought - others have descended on us. We've worked through each one - sometimes repeatedly.

We aren't kids (in our late 60s early 70s) and don't see an end in sight for continuing our road trip. We just spent a summer with 5 of our 17 grandkids from Charleston, to Williamsburg, DC, 1000 Islands, Bar Harbor, whale watching, NYC and Philly.

At our age we wouldn't trade our time doing this for anything. We also recognize some folks have huge problems and tough fixes but for us the effort is worth it all.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #42

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
No one said anything about hating the RV experience. After paying over $100,00.00 for a motorhome, would be nice if it did not start falling apart day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Devil's advocate here. So if you hate them so much: why buy one?
Stay at a hotel, and eat at restaurants. The lack of aggravation must be worth something to you.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Most of the complaints are clearly about initial build quality. Very few about ongoing problems. I think once you get the initial minor bugs out you'll get many years of good service from your coach.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree... That's when the lovin' can start!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #45

THOR #1020
Just to be clear. We don't condone the workmanship problem, unfortunately most RV manufacturers face the same problem brought on by the staffing rotation of proven poor performers in the factories. In one of my lives prior to full time retirement, I was a very senior hr leader in a large organization. One of my areas was to manage leadership of call centers. The staffing was a true horror. Ten percent turnover a month is a serious contributor to poor quality performance with CSRs. Turn this same problem set loose with screw guns, hammers and other stuff - wow. I don't accept that it is not fixable - but it is TOUGH especially in an expansion mode that Tho appears to be doing.

Finally, to be even clearer on our enjoyment of the rv lifestyle - you gotta have an rv to make that lifestyle happen.

Hope you can work through the issues and get to other side of the issues to enjoy as we have.

The journey is our destination.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #46

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
All good points but in my field of work if we make a mistake, have a lax attitude, or are poorly trained - people die!

Have a qualified quality control person do a thorough inspection of the RV prior to delivery to the dealership - pull it aside and fix the problems then!
For example - Thor brags how they do a comprehensive leak test! Mine had two huge leaks the day I purchased it (dealer fixed prior to me accepting it off lot) but once again - talk is cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Just to be clear. We don't condone the workmanship problem, unfortunately most RV manufacturers face the same problem brought on by the staffing rotation of proven poor performers in the factories. In one of my lives prior to full time retirement, I was a very senior hr leader in a large organization. One of my areas was to manage leadership of call centers. The staffing was a true horror. Ten percent turnover a month is a serious contributor to poor quality performance with CSRs. Turn this same problem set loose with screw guns, hammers and other stuff - wow. I don't accept that it is not fixable - but it is TOUGH especially in an expansion mode that Tho appears to be doing.

Finally, to be even clearer on our enjoyment of the rv lifestyle - you gotta have an rv to make that lifestyle happen.

Hope you can work through the issues and get to other side of the issues to enjoy as we have.

2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #47

THOR #1020
Just to be clearer again. I mentioned that my tenure as HR leader was in a prior life. My first professional career was as a soldier - which I did for 22 years (and retired fairly senior). Believe me, I get that mistakes costs lives in some professions.

Relative to RVs, if every buyer was willing to pony up the added $s that having a quality control process such as the Toyota Way would cost to install and maintain - easy call.

And finally, hope you can work through the issues and get to other side of the issues to enjoy as we have.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #48

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Just to be clearer again. I mentioned that my tenure as HR leader was in a prior life. My first professional career was as a soldier - which I did for 22 years (and retired fairly senior). Believe me, I get that mistakes costs lives in some professions.

Relative to RVs, if every buyer was willing to pony up the added $s that having a quality control process such as the Toyota Way would cost to install and maintain - easy call.

And finally, hope you can work through the issues and get to other side of the issues to enjoy as we have.

May of these RV's are selling for about the same, or 10-20 thousand higher than a loaded SUV or pickup truck.

As you said, if buyers want automotive level quality, the prices would have to go up by a very large amount.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #49

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
THOR #8054
I have to agree. We have accepted low quality stuff for many decades now. The reason is always price. If we manufactured the stuff we buy it would definitely cost more but I'm confident the quality would be so much better. I know these coaches are not made in China but probably most of the components are. Still trying to get a handle on why the workmanship is shoddy but as I've stated before, so far I've had great luck with my ACE and hope that mine is the norm and not the exception.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Okay... Thius begs the question: HOW MUCH MORE would you be willing to pay, for better quality work?
Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #51

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:

If you were an 'HR leader' I am guessing that means you were a director of an HR department for some corporation, you would be familiar with the multitudes of studies that describe, low wages as a high dissatifier, wage increases as only a moderate but short term satisfier, and job and workplace satisfaction and feeling that you are accomplishing something as the highest and longest term satisfier. That is difficult to accomplish in an assembly line environment, possible but very very expensive and rare. The auto industry has resorted to automation everywhere possible to cope, and in all probability the RV industry will at some point also need to do the same.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #52

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
THOR #8054
Willing? Probably what I could afford?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #53

THOR #1020
Very familiar with manufacturing methods and satisfaction - both my parents worked for 30+ years as laborers in the same environment that I championed for change in my second career. But even with all leaning into the strong gale that I lead, it came back to the $s that consumers are willing to pay. The GM/Toyota NUMMI experience is a point in case.

In any case, we are very satisfied with our coach. Safe travels.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno1950 View Post
Willing? Probably what I could afford?
This will make the next sale more interesting...

"So Bruno... I see that you STILL will have $9,875.27 in your savings acco0unt... For the mere pittance of $7,000.00, we will pull your unit off of the line, and give it to our bestest workers...
(For another two grand: we'll make sure that they are actually awake, and not drinking on the job! )
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #55

THOR #1020
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This will make the next sale more interesting...

"So Bruno... I see that you STILL will have $9,875.27 in your savings acco0unt... For the mere pittance of $7,000.00, we will pull your unit off of the line, and give it to our bestest workers...
(For another two grand: we'll make sure that they are actually awake, and not drinking on the job! )
Now that's funny!!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #56

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Most of the complaints are clearly about initial build quality. Very few about ongoing problems. I think once you get the initial minor bugs out you'll get many years of good service from your coach.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #57

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Disappointed with interior workmanship

GR22 owner. Had some loose wood trim(re glued), Velcro loose (fixed with staple gun), messy wire routing (fixed with zip ties) missing safety net ( Thor sent new one), bad radio ( Thor sending new one to dealer), solar wiring ( fixed myself found bad crimp) , stain on headboard(used solvent and it cleaned right off), screws and sawdust in cabinets, and a broken shower pan(Thor sending to dealer). As you see I try to do my own to much hassle to take to dealer. Basically looks like they were in a rush. Didn't like handling. Installed Steering Stabilizer and Sumo Springs front and rear ( difference is night and day). Also cab noisy and heat coming up from engine. Installed Dynamat on doghouse and on floors. Also installed inside hood. Vast improvement can actually talk now. Next I will put into doors. Also changed out crap speakers with JBL's. Also installed a cooling fan to blow over refrigerators coils. Next is a fan in refrigerator to move air around although it works very well now. Lots of stuff. New hobby RV.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #58

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Left something out you can help me with. I can't find where HDMI cable from bedroom tv goes to. I traced it all the way to bottom kitchen cabinets but lost it after that. Thanks
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 AM   #59

State: California
THOR #8323
We purchased a 2017 Thor Miramar in June and we have used it once. It has been back at the dealer ever since getting all of the bugs and issues repaired. We are trying to be patient about the length of time required to fix everything. We want to use our coach. But we still wonder how the factory could install a bathroom cabinet upside down and no one noticed except us. Where’s the quality control at Thor?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 AM   #60

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
We love our Thor Axis. I do not like the delays at CW waiting for warranty repairs. The warranty has expired so as soon as these holdover repairs are made, CW will not see the Axis again. Overall I have to say that we have had a few warranty repairs but nothing to compare with the horror stories on this forum. Add to that stupid moves resulting in expensive lessons and we're still ahead. A good local dealer will get my service business from now on and I will continue to love this crazy rv adventure that started with a popup so many years ago.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote