Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2017, 04:07 AM   #61

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Mike View Post
We purchased a 2017 Thor Miramar in June and we have used it once. It has been back at the dealer ever since getting all of the bugs and issues repaired. We are trying to be patient about the length of time required to fix everything. We want to use our coach. But we still wonder how the factory could install a bathroom cabinet upside down and no one noticed except us. Where’s the quality control at Thor?

I had a touchscreen radio that didn't work. Like you I wonder who doesn't check a radio after install?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I wouldn’t use the warranty unless I absolutely had to. Yes, Thor/CW should make things right but it’s easier and faster to take matters into my own hands - even if it costs time and money. I’d be very perturbed if my machine was sitting at CW “waiting”. Bought it to travel in and losing it for a whole summer’d suck. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #63

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I have an appointment in November to take my 2017 Axis back to Thor to get repairs done! I have zero confidence that the CW dealer that I purchased from could do the needed work! I've taken the Axis back to them 4 different times and they've yet to fix any of the problems!
Most of the issues I have are real actively minor. Things that should have been fixed before the unit left the factory! One of the more major issues is that the bottom is literally falling out of the wardrobe! As far as I can tell BOTH staples must have failed!
On my second trip with my Axis the fold out counter extension fell not because it was not properly attached to the wall but because the entire wall pulled apart! Again BOTH staples failed! I repaired that myself using screws which should have been used to begin with. The small gauge staples used are not adequate to support the weight of the counter extension itself, neverless if there's anything actually on it!
The microwave doesn't appear to be vented at all. Every time I use it the steam created drips down onto the stove top! Don't get me started on the water heater!!!
I could go on and on. The thing is, I shouldn't be having these types problems with a brand new MH regardless of the fact that it's considered an entry level MH.
I don't expect to never have issues with my MH, but I do think it reasonable not to have them right out of the gate!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #64

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
About a year ago I bought a 2017 Chateau 23U. It was obvious that it was put together very quickly and cheaply, and I was constantly fixing stuff between trips. We recently decided to upsize, and I was strongly considering another brand since the quality seemed to be better in the Fleetwood/Holiday Rambler, Jayco, and Winnebago. However, we (especially my wife) really like the design and decor of the Thors, so we ended up buying a new Chateau 31E.

Initially, I found a leftover 2017 Four Winds at a good price, so decided to buy it. At the last minute the dealer called and said that it had mold and they were going to send it back to Thor. This was after it had already been sent back to Thor earlier for a water leak problem. The dealer had a new 2018 Chateau that I bought instead. I thought maybe it was a bait-and-switch, but I saw the 2017 Four Winds and its moldy mattress. The hole for the bedroom window was cut too small, so the window didn't fit all the way in, and this left a gap for water to get in. You'd think that the guy installing the window would say "Hey, it doesn't fit. We need to cut the hole bigger." And you'd think that there was some level of quality inspection that would find a glaring problem like this. It's pretty obvious that there is very little quality control in the build process.

Now, my 2018 Chateau seems to be better put together. The drawers and cabinets close properly, the entry door seals properly, there are fewer rattles, and there have only been some minor issues that were easy to fix. I have still found over a dozen loose screws and washers, but I think that's expected. The salesman commented that they seem to be building them slower now and the quality seems better.

I did notice yesterday while crawling underneath the RV that there was a bundle of wire zip-tied to itself just hanging there. It looked like about 75 ft. of extra wiring harness that was just coiled up and left hanging under its own weight. It was hanging lower than anything else so seemed likely to get damaged. I zip-tied it up to the frame. It seems like they would cut the wiring to closer to the correct length to save the cost of all that extra wire.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #65

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Unhappy

My finding with Thor is that the quality is seriously low.
Thor should invest in a better Quality group from top to bottom. IF they actually have one.
However, since they pay people to build by the number of holes they drill and number of wires installed etc... they cannot change this.
We just need to learn how to repair as required and keep camping.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #66

THOR #8813
While I was trying to find where my bedroom TV HDMI cable went to. I removed drawer from under oven. What a mess. Found carpet strip, 3 pieces of wood from cutouts, screws , zip ties, tons of sawdust a paper. Saw HDMI cable heading up toward ceiling. Next I removed Microwave and guess what. HDMl cable was in there coiled up nice and neat. I called Thor and they said it should go all the way to DVD player cabinet. I guess it was to close to the assemblers lunch break so he just left it behind microwave. There was tons of sawdust in there and the wires were everywhere. Really they can't take a minute to zip tie the wires into a bundle? I wish I had kept all the debris and crap I found and shipped it to Thor Quality Assurance to see this shit.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're taking our rig back to them on Veteran's Day weekend for warranty work/Winterizing, and some custom touches...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #68

THOR #8813
More Thor Quality. After I installed a Solar Panel I wasn't getting voltage to charge controller. Measured at panel and all was good. Next I did a Ohm check on wires and Orange/Black was open. I took apart roof top cover where wires are and it looked good. While doing this I could see light coming up from a ceiling. Went into coach and removed overhead light fixture and guess what I found the solar wires there. The Orange/Black was loose and not in the crimp connector. Crimped it in and all is good. Once again the assembler knew he didn't do it right and just left it. They need to get these guys a different mindset and try to instill a little better work ethic into them.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #69

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
While I was trying to find where my bedroom TV HDMI cable went to. I removed drawer from under oven. What a mess. Found carpet strip, 3 pieces of wood from cutouts, screws , zip ties, tons of sawdust a paper. Saw HDMI cable heading up toward ceiling. Next I removed Microwave and guess what. HDMl cable was in there coiled up nice and neat. I called Thor and they said it should go all the way to DVD player cabinet. I guess it was to close to the assemblers lunch break so he just left it behind microwave. There was tons of sawdust in there and the wires were everywhere. Really they can't take a minute to zip tie the wires into a bundle? I wish I had kept all the debris and crap I found and shipped it to Thor Quality Assurance to see this shit.
My brother in law was helping me troubleshoot a hot water heater problem (gas doesn't work, electric does) and I mentioned the warning of loose power connections, so we removed the panel to get to those wires and I made a comment about the trash back there.

His response was, they all do that. If it's out of site, they just leave it. His coach is a 40' Tiffin DP and he's had the same problem with trash in out of view places and he's about to make his 10th or so trip to red bay for repairs.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #70

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
[quote=where’s the quality control at thor?[/quote]

there is none!!!!!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:19 AM   #71
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
when we are on the road, we, frequently visit RV dealers just to see what is going on...look at product...get ideas of how to improve our Axis, etc. We love our Axis... however, when we were shopping for what ultimately, we our purchase of the Axis...we found poor finish work in many units...not just Thor. We ruled out a few Thor models...Forest River, Jaco, etc...based on what we could see and did not like. The Axis we saw was not the one we purchased as it was already sold...ours came from another dealer, with a dealer created problem...which was fixed. Other than that, the build of our Axis has been good and sound...hope it stays that way !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #72

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Stapels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
On my second trip with my Axis the fold out counter extension fell not because it was not properly attached to the wall but because the entire wall pulled apart! Again BOTH staples failed! I repaired that myself using screws which should have been used to begin with. The small gauge staples used are not adequate to support the weight of the counter extension itself, neverless if there's anything actually on it!
On our 2017 Quantum - we had one of our dinette bench seats cave in while I was sitting on it. I only weigh about 180 so it was not unexpected weight.

I took it apart to see what was going on and there was only one cross bar in installed the middle of the bench. And guess what - it was stapled with a whopping three staples. The staples were shot from the top to connect the cross bar to the side frame. so as soon as any weight was on it the cross bar just pulled down away from the staples and fell off. The wood frame was also caving in as it was not well secured to the RV wall. I looked at the other side and same thing was happening there! (just not as fast because that is my wife's side and she only weighs 120)

I could have taken it back to the dealer for warranty repair but that would take weeks and we would be without our rig. I have wood working skills so I spent half a day playing carpenter and reinforced everything myself. Added more crossbars and added reinforcement for them.

I was amazed at the lack of engineering and the lack of workmanship on top of that. That was only one of the many items we have found wrong on our new rig. I do not think it is only a THOR issue. I believe all of the manufactures are turning out similar crap but that makes it no less disappointing.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #73

Model: Windsport 29
THOR #9245
Quote:
They left the cut outs from the black tank in our Windsprot29M. After it was used a couple times they came out. Guess what? I wrote a nice letter and mailed the filthy tank cut outs back to them!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #74

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #8920
Hahhha.. Did you ever get a reply back for the "gift"?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:58 AM   #75

Model: Windsport 29
THOR #9245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyh99 View Post
Hahhha.. Did you ever get a reply back for the "gift"?
Nope. Sent to the VP of sales and never heard a word. The rough edges were caked with TP too. I half expected to hear from the cops. But I did write on the zip top bag "do not open".

What's really interesting, our first camper was a used Jayco that had the same issue. But we had to have the black tanked dropped and drained to find the really caked up plug. We bought it from Camping World and they paid us back for the repair. So I can't bad mouth CW too much. So far they have done ok by us. And I do love my Windsport. So much more fun to drive compared to towing a 40' fifth wheel. The only really bad issue so far is the stupid dash mounted touch screen radio.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #76

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
If you think of an RV as a house, which is essence it is, though on wheels, any new house, unless you build it, is a conglomeration of the least expensive appliances and materials, assembled, or built, by the least expensive laborers they can find. In our house, which we bought new a number of years ago, all the appliances were what I refer to as contractor specials, and had to be replaced within 10 years, the AC was somewhat undersized, dry wall boards came loose, doors were less than true roof had leaks, and on and on, and this was in relative terms a 'high end' house. My point is that construction, houses or RV's, is always all about profit, and if you are happy, that's nothing more than a side effect, considered unnecessary by the builder or manufacturer. If you are unhappy, join the masses. The Gemini is the 2nd new RV we have purchased, the first was a very large DP, considered high end and very expensive. I spent the first two years trying to recover it from the construction process, and though the manufacture was good about sending factory techs out to work on it, it required a lot of assembly corrections and fixes. I have certainly had issues and problems with the Gemini, but all have been resolvable by the dealer, and though for as long as we own it, I will deal with the fact that it is simply constructed with less expensive materials than the DP was, and to some extent that troubles me, but I knew that up front, so I can't truthfully claim surprise on that count.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #77

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post
It would appear that many RV manufacturers are making huge profits for the time being. Perhaps they are skipping QC measures and leaving the issues for the dealers to fix. We had many many issues with our Thor Miramar 34.3 bunkhouse - mainly slide drift and circuit faults while driving. It was almost as if the RV was never QC'ed at all (as our slide was delivered missing an entire track).

See my story at rvintelguru.com for a mere explanation of our issue with the 2017 Miramar RV we bought

Good luck,
Jason
If you post a link to your site in every thread, at what point does it become spam?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #78

THOR #1295
just watched the video and threw up a little in my mouth as I was laughing so hard!
(THOR)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #79

THOR #1295
Quote:
I wish I had kept all the debris and crap I found and shipped it to Thor Quality Assurance to see this shit.
You would not be able to send it anywhere cause there is NO Thor quality assurance!!!
(THOR)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #80

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
2017 Vegas owner (our first RV). We are also appalled by the cheapness of the whole experience. One of my favorites is the way they screwed brackets to the wall inside the wardrobe cabinet to hold the table tops when not in use. They pulled out in the time it took to drive home from the dealer. They were screwed into the cheapest 1/8" particle board I've ever seen.
I relocated my table post to under the flip up couch before it came completely loose as it was in the back closet. The table top for the post was just sitting in the coach - on the couch, back bed, floor when we bought it. I found it fits nice and snug under the couch out of the way as well. This makes both more accessible when you need them plus it utilizes unused space under the couch. I've done SEVERAL remodel/relocation things such as this which make better sense than what Thor did when it was put together. Don't be afraid to tackle things such as this on your own, unless your dealer is close and you don't mind leaving it for whatever time it takes. If I'd have taken mine in for everything I've found and fixed, it would still be at the dealer and I would probably never have had the chance to use it!