Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #2045
Thor Vegas / Axis - neither radio working - fuse?

So I've scoured and lurked the forums for the answers, finding some good data, but unable to piece this together exactly.

Got in the coach and noticed the radio in the dash doesn't work (also discovered rear radio does not work).

I have a 2016 24.1 (but one of the first release 2016s). I suspect I blew a fuse when I changed out the battery, but not sure if these two radios are linked or not. In the 24.1 @jamiegeek posted sometime back, but there isn't even a reference to the wiring for the rear radio. Also, on my model the fuse panel in the drivers storage compartment is quite different. Not to mention the fuse panel under the driver dash isn't labeled.

Any thoughts on tracking this down?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First, the obvious but often overlooked; Is your store/use switch in the use position/mode?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

THOR #2045
Good guess - and forgot to mention that. I had suffered that shameful embarrassment once before. But yes most definitely, it's set to "Use". The lights (everything else in the coach works) - save the rear radio and the dash radio.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
In my coach I have a breaker box and a fuse box both located on the base of the bed. In the fuse box there is a 15 amp fuse (fuse G in my coach) that controls the radios. You may check to see if you have a similar setup on your coach.

Other than that, I'll have to defer to other owners of your model.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

THOR #2045
Thanks for the suggestion - as far as I can tell - aside from some random inline fuses, the panels are at the inverter location, under the driver dash, and in the driver front compartment. However, only the inverter location is labeled, and the others are unlabeled. Aside from pulling 100 fuses was wondering perhaps if someone had pinpointed the radio fuse in the newer models of the 24.1.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you looked in the drivers side front outside storage? On the older 24.1's there is a fusebox in there with the dash radio fuse.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
Not sure if you have solved your issue but I recently had the same issue in my class c. The dash and bedroom radios have fuses built into the rear of the radios. While changing the battery's I blew both fuses and had to remove the radios and replace the fuses. I spent a good while checking fuses until I realized the radios had fuses in them.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

State: Alberta
THOR #4507
Radio Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
Not sure if you have solved your issue but I recently had the same issue in my class c. The dash and bedroom radios have fuses built into the rear of the radios. While changing the battery's I blew both fuses and had to remove the radios and replace the fuses. I spent a good while checking fuses until I realized the radios had fuses in them.
I am having a problem only the front speakers do not work. The rear work fine but when I adjust to the front speaker there is no sound. any idea what could this be?
My model is a 2015 Axis 24.1.Thnx
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
On our 2016 24.1 the bedroom radio works the rear speakers and the outside. The fronts are worked by the in dash radio/camera monitor.

Another strange on ours is there is a 15 amp fuse in the converter DC distribution panel that powers both radios.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #3298
I am assuming the speakers that don't work are the door speakers and the speakers in the cabinets in the front of the rv are working. If thats the case I would pull the radio out the dash and look for a loose connection/wire. I have not had your exact problem. When the fuses blows the entire radio is not getting working.

Is this something that just occurred? Is the rv new/under warranty?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:14 AM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomo View Post
I am having a problem only the front speakers do not work. The rear work fine but when I adjust to the front speaker there is no sound. any idea what could this be?
My model is a 2015 Axis 24.1.Thnx
Remember..on the 24.1...the Jensen radio in the bedroom, only offers sound to the bedroom and outside speakers...a/b button on face of radio.
The Axerra in the dash is your radio source for front speakers and the
turn signal cameras and rear camera.
Since we have not had any issues with our radios, I cannot address the fuse situation. (I will suggest...on the Jensen, go into the settings and turn off the back light, as that can cause a bleed on the battery)

Keep in mind...when you turn off the motor, do not presume the radio will go off...wrong...always push the power button to turn off the radio..if you do not, it will be that 'ghost' which bleeds the power from your chassis battery.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

THOR #4366
We just pull the fuse in the dist panel after setting up. Both radios continue to draw power even when turned off, part of the instant on/ memory.
This winter I'll add switches to kill the power.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
We just pull the fuse in the dist panel after setting up. Both radios continue to draw power even when turned off, part of the instant on/ memory.
This winter I'll add switches to kill the power.
Strange...as when we power off our Axxera, it will not come on until we hit the on button.
Jensen the same.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #14

THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Strange...as when we power off our Axxera, it will not come on until we hit the on button.
Jensen the same.
We discovered this on our previous camper that had a Panasonic radio. Using a clamp on DC ammeter I found the radio pulled a 1/2 amp when turned off and the face plate pulled. When I pulled the connector on the back the 1/2 amp went away.
When we bought the Axis first thing I did was start looking for phantom power usage. Measured over an amp with both radios turned off. Pulled the fuse in the distribution panel and that current went away. Still haven't checked everything out yet like the video switcher in the dash.
Since we dry camp so much and hate the noise of gen sets; every bit on power used is important. Especially since we won't be added to the solar until this winter.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #15

THOR #4507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaymans View Post
Good guess - and forgot to mention that. I had suffered that shameful embarrassment once before. But yes most definitely, it's set to "Use". The lights (everything else in the coach works) - save the rear radio and the dash radio.
My problem is my front speakers don't work on my 2015 Axis.Tried everything I could think of and then took motorhome to Visions Elestronics and spoke with the tec there. He said they already changd up two Axera radio units this week as they are junk he said. My CD player also doesn't work and I have only 3000 miles on the unit and my dealer doesn't have the answers as well. Maybe the tec is right as Thor doesn't seem to have the answers to our problems.My CD wont eject a CD that was stuck in the machine when I brought it home from the dealer.Another thing that was never checked out before they sold it to me.Unfortunaly I am 7 hrs from dealer and have to figure out all my problems on my own.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #16

THOR #4507
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior30 View Post
I am assuming the speakers that don't work are the door speakers and the speakers in the cabinets in the front of the rv are working. If thats the case I would pull the radio out the dash and look for a loose connection/wire. I have not had your exact problem. When the fuses blows the entire radio is not getting working.

Is this something that just occurred? Is the rv new/under warranty?
Hi Junior, Yes they are my door speakers and front and rear are controlled from front panel. When I press the EQ button and adjust the speakers to the front I get no sound and when I slide to back speakers they come on.also my CD has CD that is jammed and wont eject.Was there from preivious owner.I tried needle nose plyiers but cant get in far enough to latch on to it.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #17

State: New Jersey
THOR #2398
Loose wire

I had a similar experience with my 24.1 with the driver side speaker. I found that the wire connector had loosened breaking the connection.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #18

THOR #4507
Hi, Both my speakers work on the back speakers but neither work on the front.Probable loose wires but don't know where to ck. My CD player wont eject the CD so have to take out unit and replace new unit and might find loose connections?.Also my rear TV wont power on. Any sugestions?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I just had this happen on my 2017 freedom elite where the radio was seemingly dead.

I hadn't use the RV and there is a switch in the breaker panel to turn on the converter to charge the 12v system when on shorepower. Needless to say the switch was off and leaving on the lights and stereo the coach battery drained.

Either way I got it charged back up and that's when I noticed the dash stereo didn't work. I ended up pulling the stereo out and unplugging it all together and plugged it back in and it worked.

On a stereo there are 2 positive wires. One for constant power and the other to tell it to turn off and on. One must be hot all the time and the other on a switch for the coach. I guess draining the battery caused it to hang up some how and pulling out the plug from the back of the stereo reset everything. I guess just disconnecting the battery might do the same thing. I also think it maybe possible it is also hooked to the chassis battery but that would be odd.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #20

State: New Jersey
THOR #2398
All I can contribute is that having BOTH speakers not functioning probably isn't a loose connection at the speaker. Both would not loosen at the same time (i don't think) Sounds like a loose or broken connection closer to the source (radio).

Tags
axis, fuse, radio, vegas