Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Exclamation Replacing Challenger in-wall motor

So ... long story short. I was constantly getting a ground fault in my one slide motor in the full wall slide which caused issues having it slide in and out. I found that by checking the pins on the motor and the connector end, some of the pins were real short. I fixed that and it worked for a bit but now I am getting the error again. I am thinking it is probably in the wire someplace now because when I jiggle the wire, the slide will move out fine.

sooo, here's where it got interesting. I went and got the part numbers for the motor and wire and ordered them from lippert. I received them and noticed right away that the connector ends were backwards. In other words, the motor now had a female connector and the wire had a male connector. Same part numbers. I am thinking that they found an issue with the old connectors and made a change someplace. Good thing I decided to buy both parts because I can't have to female ends connecting. Before I go and remove the old wiring, I contacted lippert and am waiting for a response as to why they changed the connectors. The new one seems much cleaner, just backwards from the factory version.

The pictures show the two differences in the ends of the connectors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7230.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	11871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7233.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	11872  

Name:	IMG_7235.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	11873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7236.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	11874  

Name:	IMG_7234.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	11875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7237.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	11876  

Name:	IMG_7231.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	11877  

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'm assuming the first and third pictures are the new items and the second and fourth pictures are the old items?

It looks like the connect part pulled out of the cable and is still attached to the motor connector. If so, the old parts and new parts are exactly the same.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

THOR #3920
Yes. You are correct. If that’s the case, then that was a real flaw in the manufacturing part. But that connector has always looked that was from the start. Even when the dealer “replaced” it. I got to see the before and after when they did it.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

Old 07-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #4

Model: Compass 24TX
State: Kentucky
THOR #7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I'm assuming the first and third pictures are the new items and the second and fourth pictures are the old items?

It looks like the connect part pulled out of the cable and is still attached to the motor connector. If so, the old parts and new parts are exactly the same.
That's exactly how it looks to me also. I'll be interested to hear the outcome.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #5

THOR #3920
It is. You are correct. After pulling it all apart, I had to use a knife to separate the two pieces. The wire itself is messed up so I am replacing it. I did change it out with a direct replacement wire but the power/ground is reversed so when one side tries to go out, the other comes in. I am going to look at the two motors to make sure they have the same wiring order. It’s too dark now, so thus is a project for tomorrow. Also, pulling the motor out is not as easy as the YouTube video because mine did not even budge. I’ll look into that more tomorrow as well.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #6310
RVCampingNut, earlier this year, you posted a thread about the upgrades you hoped to tackle this year. As we have the same year and model Challenger, I am very interested in several of the mods/upgrades that you listed. Can you check out your thread and update us on your progress, if any, please? Would be much appreciated!!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...des-11309.html

I am also interested to see how this went for you as well. We have no problems with our slide currently, (knock on wood!) but it's always good to be armed with information before something goes wrong.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I also replaced a slide motor in my 2017 Challenger. It was a burger bear to get out. Not so much getting the motor up and out of the socket, but getting it wiggled around to physically remove it from the coach, all while trying not to drop it into the nether regions. You did get screw that locks it in place removed from outside, did'nt you. Good Luck!!