Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Bob
I new to the board and have not yet purchased an RV but have been doing research for over 2 months. I've found 2 vehicles that I believe will fit my lifestyle and budget, but the problem I have is service. . I researched service online and 2 good sized regional dealerships had service complaints of 205 and 285. Camping world had an unbelievable 2105!! Most of Camping Worlds were service related and serious, similar to what you posted. And Thor didn't seem too responsive. You may have to up your game
Dan

Welcome to the forum, Dan. You nailed the problem w C W, but we found Thor responsive with the few warranty issues we had, including a windshield replacement (not uncommon with early 2016 Vegas/Axis). Some C W may be OK, but the reviews here and elsewhere are alarming! Run away!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #82
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If the predominant pattern that many post about repeats, you’ll suffer through a long period of this crap, they’ll eventually get around to fixing most things, then you’ll slowly forget the agony you went through, and finally you’ll start to post how great Thor was in fixing everything, how crappy the dealer was, and how clever and persistent you were in getting things corrected.

Hang in there. In time most owners report getting things fixed.
That would work for me... But my Missus () has the memory of an elephant, and the disposition of a Pit Viper that has been stepped on!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #83

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Did your missus have a long lost sister in Indiana by chance? I think I married her! LOL!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #84

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46555 View Post
Did your missus have a long lost sister in Indiana by chance? I think I married her! LOL!
Well.... My DW is a twin......
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #85

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That would work for me... But my Missus () has the memory of an elephant, and the disposition of a Pit Viper that has been stepped on!
Bob, it is so disheartening to read about what should have been an extremely happy and (at least semi) enjoyable experience of having a new RV and being able to "hit the road"

We almost bought our VEGAS/AXIS from CW two years ago (thank God they were higher) and bought from a more local dealer ( if you can call a Berkshire Hathaway company local) Our experience with our dealer on service wasn't bad, and THOR was great. However, in the two years since we bought the coach, the number of RVs for sale at our dealer looks to have easily doubled approaching triple what they had on the lot two years ago.

However, with their increased sales, their service facility (which was overbooked two years ago) must be a horror now.

With the increased number of RVs being sold, I wonder why there aren't more "service only" shops coming into existence. Some that might even help to outsource THOR and other dealer warranty issues (since, for the dealer it seems warranty work isn't a priority)

Just a thought over Sunday morning coffee...
Old 04-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #86
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Bob, it is so disheartening to read about what should have been an extremely happy and (at least semi) enjoyable experience of having a new RV and being able to "hit the road"

We almost bought our VEGAS/AXIS from CW two years ago (thank God they were higher) and bought from a more local dealer ( if you can call a Berkshire Hathaway company local) Our experience with our dealer on service wasn't bad, and THOR was great. However, in the two years since we bought the coach, the number of RVs for sale at our dealer looks to have easily doubled approaching triple what they had on the lot two years ago.

However, with their increased sales, their service facility (which was overbooked two years ago) must be a horror now.

With the increased number of RVs being sold, I wonder why there aren't more "service only" shops coming into existence. Some that might even help to outsource THOR and other dealer warranty issues (since, for the dealer it seems warranty work isn't a priority)

Very well said and true. Could you imagine opening a service only repair shop within a block of Camping World.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #87

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

....cut....

Historically the RV business has been very cyclical. I’d guess it’s probably a risky investment, although repairs may be less so.

Every time the economy stumbles, we stop buying discretionary items, and luxury items like RVs get hit hard. We also stop taking as many vacations, and put off fixing things that can wait.

Instead of starting a completely new business from the ground up, I’d also guess it’s easier for established dealers to expand theirs since they already have infrastructure in place. And like RV manufacturers, they are limited by lack of available trained employees. I think the best employees who have families that depend on them often avoid cyclical jobs for fear of inevitable layoffs.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #88
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: when money "tightens up": these industries dry up...
Independent shops (that can find co-existing alternate services) may be a better bet...
But yeah: I'd LOVE to see an independent repair shop open up across the street from a Camping World!
That would be a wonderful thing to watch happen!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #89

THOR #2121
One way to avoid service is to do like a friend of mine is attempting. He just purchased an old classic motorhome and completely gutted the interior. His plan is to rebuild with all-new modern appliances, electronics, etc.

If it works I suppose he’ll be able to do all of his own repairs. It’s a lot like people who build their own van conversions, but much larger. I kind of envy his project — wish I had the time to try it myself.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #90
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wish him the best of luck with this project!
But some of us (!!) have all of the mechanical skills of a hamster...
Old 04-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #91

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
One way to avoid service is to do like a friend of mine is attempting. He just purchased an old classic motorhome and completely gutted the interior. His plan is to rebuild with all-new modern appliances, electronics, etc.

If it works I suppose he’ll be able to do all of his own repairs. It’s a lot like people who build their own van conversions, but much larger. I kind of envy his project — wish I had the time to try it myself.
My hat is off to anyone with the time, talent and energy to do something like that. But, does he have the time and a camping vehicle to enjoy in the mean time? I hope he is young enough to enjoy it by the time he gets it done. Just sayin'.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #92

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
My hat is off to anyone with the time, talent and energy to do something like that. But, does he have the time and a camping vehicle to enjoy in the mean time? I hope he is young enough to enjoy it by the time he gets it done. Just sayin'.

You also forgot money, which can get pretty expensive; and it’s not something that’s normally financed. And when done, chances are it’s worth less than you sink into it.

He’s relatively young. In the south where you can work year-round, my research shows most DIY van conversions take less than a year. This motorhome is quite a bit larger than a van, but not necessarily that much harder to convert. Mechanically it will need some work, and being old and unique in design will be challenging. I expect 2 years should about do it — more or less.

I think it’s a really cool project, and already told him that if he gets bored with it, over his head, or can’t find the time, to let me know because I’d consider buying it from him.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #93

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
You also forgot money, which can get pretty expensive; and it’s not something that’s normally financed. And when done, chances are it’s worth less than you sink into it.

He’s relatively young. In the south where you can work year-round, my research shows most DIY van conversions take less than a year. This motorhome is quite a bit larger than a van, but not necessarily that much harder to convert. Mechanically it will need some work, and being old and unique in design will be challenging. I expect 2 years should about do it — more or less.

I think it’s a really cool project, and already told him that if he gets bored with it, over his head, or can’t find the time, to let me know because I’d consider buying it from him.
Yup, it would be like doing a home remodel out of your savings. Unless a person re-financed their home and used some equity money to remodel their MH. There's an idea. In the car restoration guys get in over their heads all the time, then the car sits for years torn apart.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #94
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
...I think it’s a really cool project, and already told him that if he gets bored with it, over his head, or can’t find the time, to let me know because I’d consider buying it from him.
Why, you sly dawg!
You've already sewn the seeds of doubt, and are waiting for a great project rig to land in your lap!

I am in awe of your ingenuity!
Old 04-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #95
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
UPDATE: We're still waiting on the vinyl graphics to appear...
But I did get a call from the Dealership's General Manager, and he admitted that our situation was just not acceptable.
I also got a call from Ron at Thor: He said that the slow-moving parts should get to them on April 20th, and they'll overnight them to the Dealer.

So my fingers are crossed, and the Missus isn't growling as loudly,,,
Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #96

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
UPDATE: We're still waiting on the vinyl graphics to appear...
But I did get a call from the Dealership's General Manager, and he admitted that our situation was just not acceptable.
I also got a call from Ron at Thor: He said that the slow-moving parts should get to them on April 20th, and they'll overnight them to the Dealer.

So my fingers are crossed, and the Missus isn't growling as loudly,,,
Glad to hear that Thor and the dealer are following up finally. Best of luck and we hope you will be ready when we invade NY next month!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #97
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They're talking...
I just hope that it translates to some "doin'"!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #98

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
I wish him the best of luck with this project!
But some of us (!!) have all of the mechanical skills of a hamster...
I have to hide the tools from our hamster or he would have found places for all the loose and misplaced screws that THOR left...
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #99

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I highly suggest that we ALL make use of the RV Service Reviews. Praise the good ones and damn the bad ones.

"Money talks. Bullshit walks"