Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Does Anybody Have...

The proper email addresses for complaints to Camping World, and to Thor Motor Coach?
I need both, and I'm too ticked-off to even see straight right now...
We went to pick up our rig from Camping World in Kingston, NY today, They've had it for four and a half Months, in order to tackle our extensive "Oh crap"! list...
They pull it out in front of the store, and it is FILTHY!! It's covered with mud, and this starts my Missus to crying: not a great way to start this process.
It's just as bad inside also!
So while I'm checking off the items on the list of repairs: the Missus is looking the unit over with a fine-toothed comb...
She finds damage on the exterior walls on both sides!
So we ain't happy!
and it gets worse!
The levelers and the slide no longer work, and the tankless hot water system is screaming error codes at us.
And of course: several of the items on our list were no addressed properly at all.
I need to light a SERIOUS fire under these idiots, and I think that if I send a copy of the email that I just sent to the Service Manager: somebody will get curious in a hurry!
I'm too sick and heart to say any more right now...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow, sorry I can't help you...

In addition I can't imagine running a company where you would treat a customer like that...its just unfathomable to me that you'd even consider that is acceptable in any way shape or form. Hard to believe that there wasn't at least one person that looked at your rig and thought "we cannot return this to the customer like this!".

I think I'd also get on the phone with Thor looking for an alternative local shop to perform the warranty work for you.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
marcus@marcuslemonis.com CEO CAMPING WORLD

Watch his show he is the Profit 4 a reason... He should Team up with the show Undercover Boss and do a show about CW. He might have enough screw ups for 3-4 seasons of a show....
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not to add insult to injury but your first clue was that they kept it for four and a half months. My machine has not required a return to the dealer for service but if it did I believe I’d insist on an appointment that allowed me to wait for it or return the next day to pick it up. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:26 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
574-584-2617 Thor Management Services
574-584-3388 Thor Customer Service

CW is huge but they aren't superhuman. Thor flooded the market with crap and expects dealers to fix it under warranty. Had they delivered a reasonable amount of quality in their products there wouldn't be months and months of backlog for repairs and parts. They selectively choose who they make happy and who they ignore or walk away from. My last conversation with Thor was sorry but we choose not to resolve your main issue but would be glad to fix some of your cosmetic issues.. I'm out of warranty now so I've added some new decals on my MH. I'm easy to spot these days with my #ThorLacksIntegrity decals prominently displayed on the back and sides. Good luck with getting your unit repaired.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Check out RV.net. It's owned by Camping World/Marcus. Create an account (easy to do), then copy & paste what you've written here. You ought to hear from someone on their "Rapid Response Team" within 24 hours.

(And while it wasn't regarding our ACE) Don't ask me how I know ...
Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #7

State: Tennessee
THOR #10915
That is just horrible and sorry this has happened but not really surprised from what I have seen from CW service so far. Ive only had my new Freedom Elite for two weeks now but service has not been a good experience. I had a second house battery installed before pick up and noticed after I got home the really nasty wiring job is such that the battery caps cannot be accessed to check fluid level. Took it back today and had to leave it. I had an appointment but the first thing they said was..oh we cant do that today we only have one tech on duty. So why did I need an appointment just to drop it off??? And the person who wired in the second battery I suppose didn't think I would even need to access those caps. Right O. There is also a big bundle of wires within a hair of a sharp metal lip that I cut my thumb on, no protection or any kind of wrap so Ive ask them to remedy that as well. I hope mine isn't damaged when I pick it back up or things not working that were before. Geeez

Andy
Old 03-18-2018, 01:59 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseymour View Post

.....cut...... There is also a big bundle of wires within a hair of a sharp metal lip that I cut my thumb on, no protection or any kind of wrap so Ive ask them to remedy that as well. ....cut....

Was the sharp metal lip thanks to Camping World or Thor?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The proper email addresses for complaints to Camping World, and to Thor Motor Coach?

I need both, and I'm too ticked-off to even see straight right now...

We went to pick up our rig from Camping World in Kingston, NY today, They've had it for four and a half Months, in order to tackle our extensive "Oh crap"! list...

They pull it out in front of the store, and it is FILTHY!! It's covered with mud, and this starts my Missus to crying: not a great way to start this process.

It's just as bad inside also!

So while I'm checking off the items on the list of repairs: the Missus is looking the unit over with a fine-toothed comb...

She finds damage on the exterior walls on both sides!

So we ain't happy!

and it gets worse!

The levelers and the slide no longer work, and the tankless hot water system is screaming error codes at us.

And of course: several of the items on our list were no addressed properly at all.

I need to light a SERIOUS fire under these idiots, and I think that if I send a copy of the email that I just sent to the Service Manager: somebody will get curious in a hurry!

I'm too sick and heart to say any more right now...

I think that you should perhaps consider that their next communication about your situation comes their way under the letterhead (and over the wet signature) of an attorney.

If you really want them to see how serious you are about the damages done to you by their gross negligence, they should perhaps be more motivated by staring down the barrel of a hefty liability lawsuit.

Due to the plethora of complaints about CW we have all seen on this forum alone, perhaps your lawyer could even ‘wordsmith’ the specter of a potential class action, offering to ‘ask around’ to see if there are other similar complaints.

Other than the repairs they still seem to owe you, and repair of what was obviously damaged while the coach was in their (ahem!) “care,” there is the dollar value of the time they stole from you. Four friggin’ months? Assuming there is a loan on your RV, what about payments you were keeping up for a vehicle you had no use of while it was in their shop?

I am so sorry for your trials. Please convey the love and well wishes of all on this forum to your wife. As for me and my household, I offer our prayers of support.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:25 AM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Dealer Warranties

Are there any dealers out there that deal with their warranty issues as do most auto manufacturers? I know that our Giant RV has their lot filled with people leaving their RVs for warranty service with the same explanation. Note problems at dealer, send problems to Thor for authorization to fix (pay), wait for response, if "yes" order parts, wait for parts, wait for time to schedule repairs... i.e., months of waiting. Seems like we always say on this forum to be the industry standard. Makes me not want to buy another new RV and glad mine is two years old and don't have to deal with the dealership anymore.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I have a very well maintained fulltimer 5er with several upgrades for sale at less than 1/2 the price of new , but have had no serious lookers due to no "factory warranty" , which in my opinion/experience is totally worthless unless the owner doesn't mind their rv parked in the back of some dealers lot for 1/2 of the warranty period "waiting on parts". If folks would look at used & pay the $$ for an extended warranty if necessary I believe there would be a lot less service complaints & free up some of the dealers service departments to maybe actually fix something.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The thing that they did which makes me the maddest: some A-Hole actually thought that it would be cute to put grease inside one of the cupholders on the doghouse.
REALLY????
Old 03-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The thing that they did which makes me the maddest: some A-Hole actually thought that it would be cute to put grease inside one of the cupholders on the doghouse.
REALLY????

Grease, as in "grease gun"?

do you think they did that on purpose or maybe they laid a tool/grease gun there and got some leakage?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7074
Yes, Camping World Greasing Customers...Their big FU as you drive away.. Make sure when you write the letter, state you are also a Good Sams Member, another Company owned by Marcus Lemonis.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Wow, wish I could help... glad you got the numbers and email addresses you need. Good luck in your quest for reconciliation.

I am pretty sure the cops would have been called had it been me and my wife. I would have insisted very strongly that they take it back in IMMEDIATELY and clean it up and fix the items that were on your list while you watch.

With that said, I am glad we didn't have any major issues during our warranty period and only a few minor issues, many of which we fixed ourselves or just ignored (if they were interior cosmetic things that didn't affect anything.) We went into this knowing we would try to do much of the maintenance and repair ourselves. When we did go to the dealer, they had us bring it in the morning and we took it home later that day. Our dealer was not a CW...
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7074
Looking for Satisfaction? Type "Camping World Reviews" into Google. Hmmm.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
Grease, as in "grease gun"?

do you think they did that on purpose or maybe they laid a tool/grease gun there and got some leakage?
Yup! Grease; as in: Let's mess with this idiot!
It was in the bottom of the cupholder, and has every appearance to have been an intentional act.
Besides: Who would ever lay a grease-gun over top of that part of the rig? There was no service work being done up there.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Welcome to the future of America

Unfortunately this kind of thing is much bigger than just Thor motorhomes. I truly feel it's a sign of the total collapse of this country's infrastructure.

Specifically, here's why you had to deal with this cr@p... Starting at the manufacturer, they're trying to make a product that is cheap enough that they'll sell. To do that they need to cut every corner they can, and use the cheapest parts available. Since having them assembled in China isn't an option (yet, but probably will and should be in the future) they have to pay overpriced (relative to China) and underskilled most likely union labor to do the assembly. That workforce is then pushed to beyond their limits to work faster and produce more, which just makes them pissed and un-motivated to do a good job. They quit if they can, and that just puts more pressure on the few people that can put up with the stresses of being an assembly worker in America. Their pensions are cr@p or completely gone, so there's no worker loyalty to stay at any particular company so if they get yelled at because they aren't working fast enough, they just quit and go elsewhere.

That's just the assembly side of it. So now you're at the dealership. The service department has HUGE overhead, having to pay to keep up with all the government regulations, liability insurance, health insurance for workers, keeping their operations "green" which means more costs dealing with chemicals, waste oil, etc. Huge building, utility and property costs in a lot of the country, especially California.

Then they have to have qualified workers that actually show up and can fix things. Yeah, they don't exist anymore. I've worked in the auto industry for almost 4 decades. People that want to, and CAN do what I do are simply going away and not being replaced. My dealership lost 4 highly qualified techs in the two years before I myself quit. That makes 5 techs out of a total crew of 15, the 5 of us had a combined experience of over 150 years! 4 of us GM Master Techs with thousands of hours of training, licenses and certificates. I myself was one of the top GM techs in the entire San Francisco Bay Area, if not the entire country. I'm only 56, too young to actually retire and guess what? I'm not fixing cars anymore. (Neither are the 4 other guys that quit.) Why? because the pay sucks, our pension has been red-flagged by the Feds so after 33 years paying into it, I'll probably get none of it, and the stresses of trying to perfectly fix anywhere from 8 to 12 cars a day just isn't worth it.

And it's not only the auto or motorhome industry that's falling apart. We're having a major problem here in California finding workers for jobs like waiting tables, cleaning houses or hotel rooms, plumbers, cops, carpenters, gardeners, store cashiers, etc, etc. The jobs are simply too hard or stressful for the money they pay, and that wage won't even cover rent in a tiny apartment. This millennial generation wants the easy jobs, they expect to make 6 figures to simply sit in front of a computer for a few hours a day. Nobody knows how to WORK anymore. How many people under 30 have ever shoveled gravel, or chopped wood, or even mowed their own lawn? They simply don't want to get their hands dirty.

The end result of all this? Your motorhome is going to be build like cr@p. You're going to have to wait 4 months until somebody actually looks at all the stuff that doesn't work. That guy doesn't know how to fix it, doesn't have time to fix it and doesn't really give a d@mn if he fixes it. So then you complain to the company. They're making a profit building motorhomes the way they've been building them and have no reason to change their approach. Doing anything differently will cost their board members, owners, CEO's and VC people to lose money. They won't tolerate that. It's all about money. If those people aren't making money, they'll simply move on to another venture. No pride, no company loyalty, no worker obligations. It's all gone and I don't see it coming back anytime soon.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer! It's f'd up and terribly sad to see, but it's how I see it being on the "inside" of some of this stuff. I could be working in a motorhome dealership and would ABSOLUTELY fix every one of the issues you're having IF I had the support of the dealership and the manufacturer and was paid a decent wage. None of that happens anymore so sorry, I and thousands of other qualified guys who CAN fix things and CARE about doing a good job are gone forever.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Unfortunately this kind of thing is much bigger than just Thor motorhomes. I truly feel it's a sign of the total collapse of this country's infrastructure.

Specifically, here's why you had to deal with this cr@p... Starting at the manufacturer, they're trying to make a product that is cheap enough that they'll sell. To do that they need to cut every corner they can, and use the cheapest parts available. Since having them assembled in China isn't an option (yet, but probably will and should be in the future) they have to pay overpriced (relative to China) and underskilled most likely union labor to do the assembly. That workforce is then pushed to beyond their limits to work faster and produce more, which just makes them pissed and un-motivated to do a good job. They quit if they can, and that just puts more pressure on the few people that can put up with the stresses of being an assembly worker in America. Their pensions are cr@p or completely gone, so there's no worker loyalty to stay at any particular company so if they get yelled at because they aren't working fast enough, they just quit and go elsewhere.

That's just the assembly side of it. So now you're at the dealership. The service department has HUGE overhead, having to pay to keep up with all the government regulations, liability insurance, health insurance for workers, keeping their operations "green" which means more costs dealing with chemicals, waste oil, etc. Huge building, utility and property costs in a lot of the country, especially California.

Then they have to have qualified workers that actually show up and can fix things. Yeah, they don't exist anymore. I've worked in the auto industry for almost 4 decades. People that want to, and CAN do what I do are simply going away and not being replaced. My dealership lost 4 highly qualified techs in the two years before I myself quit. That makes 5 techs out of a total crew of 15, the 5 of us had a combined experience of over 150 years! 4 of us GM Master Techs with thousands of hours of training, licenses and certificates. I myself was one of the top GM techs in the entire San Francisco Bay Area, if not the entire country. I'm only 56, too young to actually retire and guess what? I'm not fixing cars anymore. (Neither are the 4 other guys that quit.) Why? because the pay sucks, our pension has been red-flagged by the Feds so after 33 years paying into it, I'll probably get none of it, and the stresses of trying to perfectly fix anywhere from 8 to 12 cars a day just isn't worth it.

And it's not only the auto or motorhome industry that's falling apart. We're having a major problem here in California finding workers for jobs like waiting tables, cleaning houses or hotel rooms, plumbers, cops, carpenters, gardeners, store cashiers, etc, etc. The jobs are simply too hard or stressful for the money they pay, and that wage won't even cover rent in a tiny apartment. This millennial generation wants the easy jobs, they expect to make 6 figures to simply sit in front of a computer for a few hours a day. Nobody knows how to WORK anymore. How many people under 30 have ever shoveled gravel, or chopped wood, or even mowed their own lawn? They simply don't want to get their hands dirty.

The end result of all this? Your motorhome is going to be build like cr@p. You're going to have to wait 4 months until somebody actually looks at all the stuff that doesn't work. That guy doesn't know how to fix it, doesn't have time to fix it and doesn't really give a d@mn if he fixes it. So then you complain to the company. They're making a profit building motorhomes the way they've been building them and have no reason to change their approach. Doing anything differently will cost their board members, owners, CEO's and VC people to lose money. They won't tolerate that. It's all about money. If those people aren't making money, they'll simply move on to another venture. No pride, no company loyalty, no worker obligations. It's all gone and I don't see it coming back anytime soon.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer! It's f'd up and terribly sad to see, but it's how I see it being on the "inside" of some of this stuff. I could be working in a motorhome dealership and would ABSOLUTELY fix every one of the issues you're having IF I had the support of the dealership and the manufacturer and was paid a decent wage. None of that happens anymore so sorry, I and thousands of other qualified guys who CAN fix things and CARE about doing a good job are gone forever.
Extremely Well Said and Well Written !!
...you also described our industry's issues perfectly.
.... it's like I tell my son, when I was growing up my father never had to tell me Not to stick my hand under the lawnmower to see if the blade was running.
... those are the type of employees working on our motorhomes getting results like Bob's.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #20

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Those low paying jobs are being filled by people protected by the sanctuary city/state laws especially in your area.

I really want out of Ca. [emoji3]
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote