Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Dometic Power awning intermittent

Hi everyone, this one has got me stumped...

Here is the issue. I was vacationing in Florida this past month. The awning was working fine. When I returned to New York with sub freezing temperatures the awing would not deploy or activate in any way. No fuses open. I bypassed the switch and added current to the awning motor and it worked. I am wondering if there is a fail safe mechanism that prevents the awning from opening in freezing weather or do I have an issue with a broken or loose connection somewhere else. I tested the switch, which had power going to it. I replaced the switch last year for a similar issue during the summer. Any ideas?

I should add that today I was able to open the awning normally. The temps. were in the 50's.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Hi everyone, this one has got me stumped...

Here is the issue. I was vacationing in Florida this past month. The awning was working fine. When I returned to New York with sub freezing temperatures the awing would not deploy or activate in any way. No fuses open. I bypassed the switch and added current to the awning motor and it worked. I am wondering if there is a fail safe mechanism that prevents the awning from opening in freezing weather or do I have an issue with a broken or loose connection somewhere else. I tested the switch, which had power going to it. I replaced the switch last year for a similar issue during the summer. Any ideas?

I should add that today I was able to open the awning normally. The temps. were in the 50's.

Probably, the direct current you added by the bypass was stronger than the "fused" current through the switch. You may have broken away a bit of freezing "debris", allowing it to continue as normal. I think it was just lightly frozen up. My thinking has caused me problems, though.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote