Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Door latch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that made for an interesting trip when the door latch broke, at least we were inside and not outside. At least I could get out the emergency exit, not easy but doable. We were on our way home and it happened on our first rest stop about 600 miles from home. The plan was to break things up into two days with a overbite stop at Walmart or similar. Problem was the two dogs not being able to get out. Drove straight through got home around 10:30 and I don't like to drive at night. Got home got stepladder and got wife and small dog out the exit got tools and destroyed lock getting door open, made big dog happy.
Big shout out to a trucker parked next to us at the rest stop saw me having a problem. He pulled his cab next to our front side window took off his shoes so he wouldn't scratch up the MH and hopped in the window. The two of us still couldn't get it open and he hopped back in his rig and left. I appreciate the fact he took time to help, couldn't get it open but HE TRIED.
Now, I need a new door latch assembley so has anyone found something better to replace the OEM latch? I know I have read other people this has happened to and after seeing the insides of the lock am not impressed. So far I have found one by tri-mark to replace it but don't to put in something else prone to break. Thanks much, Jim.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
You've probably read this recent thread on the subject: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...pped-8192.html

It looks like member petew found a better model

We just had our latch break, trapping my husband inside. Luckily, we were in our driveway, packing for a trip. We had to tear the latch apart to open the door, just as others have done.

We ordered a new latch, hoping it's the correct model.

I've read about this happening enough times that I'm really surprised there are only 3 complaints on the NHTSA (I searched under equipment).

We'll be calling Trimark tommorrow, and making a complaint at NHTSA
Old 09-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
You've probably read this recent thread on the subject: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...pped-8192.html

It looks like member petew found a better model

We just had our latch break, trapping my husband inside. Luckily, we were in our driveway, packing for a trip. We had to tear the latch apart to open the door, just as others have done.

We ordered a new latch, hoping it's the correct model.

I've read about this happening enough times that I'm really surprised there are only 3 complaints on the NHTSA (I searched under equipment).

We'll be calling Trimark tommorrow, and making a complaint at NHTSA
Thank you for filling a complaint. We travel with dogs and am getting ready to invest in the 200.00 upgrade to steel lock. But, this should be a recall since there is only one legimate door on these coaches