Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Question E450 Chassis owners - Lug Nut Socket size

As dumb as this may sound, I have just spent the better part of an hour searching for the correct size socket for the E450 chassis DRW that is under the motorhome (2017 Vegas) that we will pick up tomorrow.
I found 1 vague reference to 7/8” socket and 145 ft lbs torque on another forum..
I’m in the process of getting my own spare tire, jack etc. to change my own tire should the need arise.
Many thanks for the needed info!

Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
You'll probably want a super strong (electric) impact wrench with "black sockets". Ain't no ratchet handle gonna ao you no good.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You'll probably want a super strong (electric) impact wrench with "black sockets". Ain't no ratchet handle gonna ao you no good.
I’ve got the tools required to get the lug nuts off and on EXCEPT the actual socket size.
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
It was either 7/8 or 13/16th.... Cant remember. I think I torqued mine to 150 LB #.

Put some anti size on the threads and the mating surfaces of the rim to rotor (that is if you take them off) and between both rims in the back (If you having fun). Otherwised at least lube the treads of the lug nuts to prevent rust and make it easier to take off in the future.

I purchased a wheel lugnut wrench (the kind that has the 4 common sizes - look like an X) and a 3 foot steal pipe that slides over it. I dont plan on changing tires myself but I like to be prepaired incase I need to do the work myself.

It broke all of them loose just fine (always push down to break loose or tighen - lifting up can hurt your back). Then I re-torqued all the same (they were like 70 to 175 LB # from factory - wide range).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #15951
I have a Miramar 34.2 and am trying to get setup to check torque on my wheels. The manual for the Ford Chassis F-53 states 450 lb-ft and Bolt size M22 x 1.5. I have the torque wrench but cannot find a M22 socket. Does anyone know what the correct socket is for this model?

Thank you for your help
Old 09-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When I had my Class C on a 450 chassis I went to Harbor Freight and bought the longest breaker bar they had and a set of black lug nut sockets. I then went to Tractor Supply and bought a 6 ton bottle jack. I changed a flat on that coach twice as it had a spare tire. On my current coach, since it doesn't have a spare, I'll wait for the roadside service.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #15951
The manual for F-53 states to check torque (450 lb-ft) at 100 and 500 miles after changing the tires. I had also read where it is suggested to check torque before any trips. Like checking air pressure. Doe anyone do this? What are your thoughts?

Thank you
Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky-in-AR View Post
The manual for F-53 states to check torque (450 lb-ft) at 100 and 500 miles after changing the tires. I had also read where it is suggested to check torque before any trips. Like checking air pressure. Doe anyone do this? What are your thoughts?

Thank you

I think that's one of those "CYA" suggestions. Once they're tight...they're tight. When was the last time you had a lug nut loose on anything (other than our brains)...after several thousand miles?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote