Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Dave,

What us the Direct Response system?
Direct response is the Auto Retract system for Carefree awnings. It will automatically retract the awning when the winds reach a certain speed.

Here is some info from Carefree's site.

052526-001r7 12V Direct Response.pdf

The kit is about 90.00 on Amazon but I may have my dealer install so it is covered under my extended warranty along with the awning. Also if the dealer does the installation and it doesn't work then the dealer can replace my awning.

The link for the kit at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Carefree-SR009.../dp/B004RCUR8M

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Thanks Dave,
I'm going to look into this as it makes good sense if I leave the awning out while away from the MH.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Thor step recall?

Not sure if this is connected in anyway, but just this morning I received via email an update on Thor recall notices.

One dated 11/10/2015 is about Lippert/Thor electric steps. Here is the link for the recall info:

Thor Hurricane recall
Old 12-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
The electric steps in the recall are not the same as what I have on the RV. It's disconcerting that Thor just can't seem to get some things right the first time.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
The electric steps in the recall are not the same as what I have on the RV. It's disconcerting that Thor just can't seem to get some things right the first time.
Good to know. And I know what you mean about getting things right. For what we pay for these things, they should be "near" perfect!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Thanks Dave,
I'm going to look into this as it makes good sense if I leave the awning out while away from the MH.
I talked to my service advisor an hour ago and they are ordering the kit to install on my coach when I take it in for warranty work and state inspection in January. Next year I shouldn't have to worry about the awning in high winds.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kansas
THOR #6844
Asking for manufacturer of steps on Thor Challenger...would like owners manual.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgomalley View Post
Asking for manufacturer of steps on Thor Challenger...would like owners manual.
Lippert Components Inc.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #29

State: Kansas
THOR #6844
Great! Thank you!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #30

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
State: Florida
THOR #7515
If you want to prevent it from coming out, turn the switch off. In the off position, the step will not deploy.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #31
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6lmj View Post
If you want to prevent it from coming out, turn the switch off. In the off position, the step will not deploy.
Except when you open the door. The "off" position prevents the step from retracting when the door is closed unless the coach is started, then it retracts anyway,
Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #32

State: Nevada
THOR #8739
same on 2018 33.3

I just purchased a 2018 33.3 with same problem and some ... i caught it at walk through and was told it was a recall from freight liner and i had to there to have it updated. On my 2000 mile drive home , also my dash board light was flickering on and of and only when head lights are on. When i turn day lights on no problem. Any one had that issue ?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #33

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I wonder if you couldn't wire a switch in series to one of the motor wires and mount it by the door inside. That would keep the motor from running. Just thinking
Old 08-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #34

State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Our 2015 Windsport has a one section electric step. It is so close to the ground that when parked near a curb, when it extends, it runs into the curb. I am concerned that the drive mechanism will be damaged. Has anyone had a problem with their electric step due to ramming the curb, and has anyone wired an on/off switch to prevent it from deploying in certain situations?
Forgive me if someone else has already pointed this out. I was too lazy to read through all the responses.

Lippert has already anticipated this problem and the step controller senses the higher amperage draw by the motor if the step encounters an obstacle when deploying. It stops the motor preventing damage. So it won't hurt the step if it hits the curb when parallel parking along a street.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #35

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
I wonder if you couldn't wire a switch in series to one of the motor wires and mount it by the door inside. That would keep the motor from running. Just thinking
I didn't know about the amperage sensor on the electric step. But I would feel more comfortable knowing that I can use a switch to lock the step in the up position. Of course doing so creates a situation where the step might not deploy when one expects it to, and a long step to the ground could be painful.

I haven't tried wiring a switch on the power wire because at this point it hasn't been enough of a problem.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #36

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Non that I know of can be prevented from extending when you open the door. The switch for the step will prevent it from retracting when you close the door, unless the ignition is on. Then it will retract regardless. All steps that I know of, in order to be useful will get fairly close to the ground when extended. You must be mindful and careful not to park close to a curb, or incline that the step could hit when deploying. You will develop an eye for pretty much automatically seeing where its safe to park.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #37

Model: Tiffin wayfarer 2bw
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8609
Here is what I have learned. When the step extends and hits a curb it is possible to shear the clevis pin connecting the articulating arm to the step. I have sheared 2 of them. They are 1/4x2 inch pins with only one cotter pin hole. Do not buy universal style with many holes, they are too weak. Available at Lowes, 2 for around $3. Or you can get from LCI, 1 for $9, your choice
To replace one you must loosen the motor power plug, open and close the door and pull the plug to stop the motor when the arm gets in the right spot. Takes a little time but it works. Or you can do the following.

Running from the step to the chassis is a green ground wire, breaking this wire removes the ground and the step will not move. Splicing into this wire and adding a switch in a convenient location will lock your steps in or out. I am using a red guarded racing or aircraft style switch, available from Amazon.

I have a single step, relatively easy to work on.
Don
Old 08-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #38

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I was always weary about working on the step. I guess it's possible you could get pinched or maybe a finger cut off pretty easy. Would be great to have a switch close by to cut all power to it to work on it.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #39

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmacd View Post
Here is what I have learned. When the step extends and hits a curb it is possible to shear the clevis pin connecting the articulating arm to the step. I have sheared 2 of them. They are 1/4x2 inch pins with only one cotter pin hole. Do not buy universal style with many holes, they are too weak. Available at Lowes, 2 for around $3. Or you can get from LCI, 1 for $9, your choice
To replace one you must loosen the motor power plug, open and close the door and pull the plug to stop the motor when the arm gets in the right spot. Takes a little time but it works. Or you can do the following.

Running from the step to the chassis is a green ground wire, breaking this wire removes the ground and the step will not move. Splicing into this wire and adding a switch in a convenient location will lock your steps in or out. I am using a red guarded racing or aircraft style switch, available from Amazon.

I have a single step, relatively easy to work on.
Don
Thanks for the information on the green wire. Not long after we bought our 27K the step stopped working. The clevis pin had been replace with a small machine bolt and it sheared off. Whatever I replaced it with has been working well. I wonder if the clevis pin is designed to break before something more costly breaks.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #40

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Yes, I have I have a step switch near the door, but the problem is not retracting, it's deploying. I want to prevent it from coming out in certain situations.
Exactly Metalman! I've been very conscious of this as I found out early on you can step out before the step is fully deployed and it can cost you a new step motor. I've only had it happen one time where it hit the curb but I quickly shut the door just as it hit. I always pull up as close to the curb as I can get and then swing the front end out a bit. Short of pulling the fuse (which I've seriously thought about) I think your stuck with it deploying.