Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Angry Electric Step not Staying Out

Hi,

When we bought our used 2015 Windsport 27K from CW in late May, the electric step would not work, dead. We returned the Windsport to CW in June to fix this and other issues (LONG story, NOT happy with CW ) they allegedly replaced the step control board. But when we picked it up they said "the step would extend, but not retract" and promised to send me a new motor.

Well I got home and turned on the step switch and the step extends/retracts just fine, BUT IN REVERSE. So I gave up on CW service fixing anything and reversed the motor leads so now it extends/retracts properly.

Now the problem is the step won't stay extended when the door is closed and the step switch is off. I open the door, the step extends, I turn off the switch and the step retracts when the door is closed. And it stays retracted until the step switch is turned back on.

From what I have read, this is not normal. The step switch should keep the step extended when turned off. It's annoying every time you open/close the door to have the step move in/out. HELP, any suggestions on what to do? Replace the control board?

2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Sounds like the 'reversing' of leads should have happened some place other than the motor??
What happens when you turn on the ignition with door closed?
It SHOULD override anything else and retract the steps... no matter where the switch is.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Sounds like the 'reversing' of leads should have happened some place other than the motor??
There is nothing in the system to sense the position of the steps. So reversing the polarity of the motor leads shouldn't have any effect on this issue. I think any reversing that would fix this would take place in the controller.

Quote:
What happens when you turn on the ignition with door closed?
It SHOULD override anything else and retract the steps... no matter where the switch is.
It doesn't matter what happens when the ignition is on and the door is closed. As soon as you close the door, no matter what position the step switch is in, the step retracts. I could try leaving the door open and turn on the ignition. Not sure what that would tell me.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

THOR #7634
Might have found the problem. I disconnected the 4 conductor modular plug connector to do some trouble-shooting I found in the Lippert Instructions at: https://www.strombergcarlson.com/dow...052620171159am

I discovered the yellow wire (apparently senses if the ignition key is on) was pulled out of the chassis side of the modular connection. No way to reconnect it to the modular connector, so I'll have to route around it when I get my tools back home. Hopefully this fixes the issue. Stay tuned if you are following this thread.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Sounds like you found it...
The system has to 'know' the position of the steps - whether by sensor or assumption - to be sure the steps are out when door is open (overrides all) and in when ignition is on (unless door is open).

I misunderstood that the steps were coming in regardless of the switch position - but the broken lead is very likely the issue.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

THOR #7634
Angry

Fixed the yellow wire (keyed power) and no joy. The steps still retract whenever the door is closed, no matter if the step switch is on or off.

I confirmed with a multi-meter the yellow wire was only energized when the ignition key was on. And the white wire from the step switch turned on and off.

So next step is to call Lippert and hopefully get some help there.

Thanks for your response.
Tom

Quote:
Sounds like you found it...
The system has to 'know' the position of the steps - whether by sensor or assumption - to be sure the steps are out when door is open (overrides all) and in when ignition is on (unless door is open).

I misunderstood that the steps were coming in regardless of the switch position - but the broken lead is very likely the issue.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

THOR #7634
Cool

Just got off the phone with Lippert and the plot "sickens".

The MH has a 28 Series Kwikee step. The control module I have, that allegedly CW installed as a replacement, is a model #164889. According to the Lippert parts dept., this is the wrong controller, it should be a Model #379146. So it would appear CW put the wrong controller on the MH when attempting to fix it.

Rather than deal with CW, I just bit the bullet and ordered the correct controller from Amazon. I hope this finally solves the problem(s).
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

THOR #7634
I apologize for this long winded thread taking up forum bandwidth. But I hope this information will benefit someone else in the future.

I found this Lippert Document that helps you identify the step model and associated parts. It can be found at: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/..._82_ST0501.pdf
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
No apology needed. This will help someone later.
Thanks for posting.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
I have a 2017 Windsport 31S. Got curious so went out to see how my step operated. Extends and retracts with opening and closing of door. If I flip the step switch it stays extended whether the door is opened or closed. Glad I read the post cause I didn't know what the step switch did. Thanks forum members.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #11

THOR #7634
New (and correct) controller arrived today. Installed and now the steps work correctly. Lock out extended when the step switch is activated. Funny how having the correct part makes things work.

Old (wrong) controller on the left. New (correct) controller on right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric-Step_Controllers.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	1,007.8 KB
ID:	5791  
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
New (and correct) controller arrived today. Installed and now the steps work correctly. Lock out extended when the step switch is activated. Funny how having the correct part makes things work.

Old (wrong) controller on the left. New (correct) controller on right.
Glad you solved the problem that CW couldn't! And I agree with Hitntheroad, no apology necessary, your work just might help someone else down the road! The purpose of the forum is to share and that's exactly what you did! Thank You!!!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
I apologize for this long winded thread taking up forum bandwidth. But I hope this information will benefit someone else in the future.

I found this Lippert Document that helps you identify the step model and associated parts. It can be found at: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/..._82_ST0501.pdf
At last!!!! A thread that detailed a problem, what was done to try and correct the problem, and a conclusion. Best of all the thread stayed on topic. I don't know about the rest of you but I get sick and tired of reading posts where somebody is having a problem and the thread takes a left turn a right turn and goes around in circles's and there never is a conclusion.
This however is good stuff. Thank you

Tags
camping world, electric step, step switch