Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #11428
Question Electrical Issue, 2008 Thor Hurricane

I have a problem starting my RV, I can jump the auxiliary and the unit will start, but when I try starting regularly the unit will not start. Since I can start the unit by jumping the solenoid, I don't think it is a starter issue. I have check the chassis battery and it is fully charged with 93% capacity. If I could find a diagram that shows the components of the starting system I think I could troubleshoot and correct the problem. I am sure there are fuses or circuit breakers that are in this system, which could be a cause, but without a diagram I am not sure where to look. I checked the fuse panel under the hood in the battery control box all fuses/circuit breakers are good. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,'
Bruce E. Cotie
US Navy Retired 2002, Retired Xcel Energy 2017
RV Traveling Partner Wife - Deby
Colorado, USA

Old 04-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So what happens when you try to start without jumping the solenoid? Dp dash light/gauges come on? Do you get a click or anything when you turn to start? And exactly what solenoid are you jumping? Do you have an "Emergency Start" switch? Or is that what you mean by "jumping the solenoid"?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #3

THOR #11428
Electrical Issue, 2008 Thor Hurricane

Good Morning TFryman,

When I use the key to start normally, no sound occurs from starter, etc. No gauges or power lights come on. I actually jumped the auxiliary solenoid from under the hood. When I connect the solenoid power directly to the battery the unit will start. I think there has to be a fuse/circuit breaker somewhere that I haven't found that needs replacing.
Thank you for any help that you can provide, I am more a mechanic than electrician.
Thanks,
Bruce

So what happens when you try to start without jumping the solenoid? Dp dash light/gauges come on? Do you get a click or anything when you turn to start? And exactly what solenoid are you jumping? Do you have an "Emergency Start" switch? Or is that what you mean by "jumping the solenoid"?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There have been cases of poor/intermittent connections to the ignition switch wiring harness near the lower part of the steering column on older F53 chassis.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

THOR #11428
Electrical Issue, 2008 Thor Hurricane

So I will need to look at the bottom of the column inside the unit? This problem started as I was driving to Oklahoma in March 2018. We stopped for lunch and when we finished the unit would not start. I cycled the disconnect switches located at the entry door and then the unit started. The next day, when it was time to head home, the unit would not start, again no noise or power to dash. I cycled the disconnect switches, but this time no luck. I looked on internet and found out that I could jumper to start unit as a temporary fix. That's how we got back to home base in Colorado.

Bruce
Old 04-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Does your coach use the RV Custom Products BCC (Bat Control Cabinet) ? You said that you jumped the Aux solenoid under the hood......do you mean that you operated the Aux switch at the drivers seat which then operated the battery interconnect relay and then you can start OK?

If you have the RV Custom Products BCC I would first ensure you have Chassis battery voltage where the battery cable physically connects to the BCC cabinet.......ensure tight terminal connections on both Chassis battery and on BCC. The coach battery seems to be OK as is the path through the interconnect relay and latched chassis relay in the BCC.