Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #7592
Emergency window won’t open...

Will it ever end? Had a leak inside from emergency window on our 2017 Quantum RS26. Removed roll down shade and found the emergency window so poorly installed it leaked and I can’t get it to open. How did this pass a quality inspection at the factory? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	18564Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	18565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	18566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	18567I suggest everyone check your emergency window.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylou View Post
How did this pass a quality inspection at the factory?
There is no quality inspection. Keep the line moving. Let the dealer find and fix it.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #3

THOR #7592
I would like to update my problem with the emergency window in my 2017 RS26. I received a call from a very nice young lady that is a Thor representative. We discussed my problem and with her help we came to a satisfactory resolution to my problem. Note my rv was no longer under warranty, but Thor did step up. Thanks to the representative and Thor.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Be VERY careful if you open the emergency window, after opening it will fall out on the ground and it will most likely break. The window is designed to fall out, you will need someone to grab it on the outside as you open it. Putting it back in is a pain!
Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #5

THOR #7592
Thanks for the info. I will seek some help.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Be VERY careful if you open the emergency window, after opening it will fall out on the ground and it will most likely break. The window is designed to fall out, you will need someone to grab it on the outside as you open it. Putting it back in is a pain!
I was just about to mention that.... My temporary neighbor at the RV park did that and it cost him almost a grand for a new window... Yep - they are apparently made to be single use items only!
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

THOR #7592
I didn’t think the emergency windows were a one time use. I will do more research. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There are multiple types and sizes of emergency windows. My Challenger has 2 emergency windows. There is one large one in the bathroom that has a lever or bar that allows for that window to be opened at the bottom for ventilation. The smaller emergency window in the bedroom does not have that lever/bar and I believe it would fall if opened.

As a note, the seal around my bathroom emergency window had to be replaced under warranty due to leaking.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #9

THOR #7592
My emergency window has a lever on each side of the window. I will do more research. Thanks
Old 07-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
There is no quality inspection. Keep the line moving. Let the dealer find and fix it.

From the way I read it from this site, from the victims and the the seasoned veterans who know these matters well inside and out, it is reads more on the responsibility of buyers to find all of these matters before buying and NOT completing sale until the PDI is completely finished? Buyers should then expect to fix the issues they can or understand that there will be issues missed and/or new ones as that is the way the RV industry, expectations of more seem to be tabu?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I was just about to mention that.... My temporary neighbor at the RV park did that and it cost him almost a grand for a new window... Yep - they are apparently made to be single use items only!

So it cost a $1,000 to use the emergency exist? Wow, seem like all you would need is replacement glass? I will add this to my pre buy checklist to see how much it cost to replace windows/glass if emergency unit is required to be used.

Don't laugh but we were actually trapped in a Diesel Pusher because we could not figure out the door's inside latching mechanism. It was NOT intuitive at all. After about 15 minutes I was considering the emergency window, when someone walked up. They opened door from outside. I never figured out why we could not open, but needless to say, we did not buy that coach.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So it cost a $1,000 to use the emergency exist? Wow, seem like all you would need is replacement glass? I will add this to my pre buy checklist to see how much it cost to replace windows/glass if emergency unit is required to be used.

Don't laugh but we were actually trapped in a Diesel Pusher because we could not figure out the door's inside latching mechanism. It was NOT intuitive at all. After about 15 minutes I was considering the emergency window, when someone walked up. They opened door from outside. I never figured out why we could not open, but needless to say, we did not buy that coach.
Honestly, I personally have never opened any of the emergency hatches/windows in any of my RVs, so I can’t speak from personal experience.
What I can tell you is that my neighbor’s window opened and fell - framed glass and all - to the ground where it hit a concrete curb and asphalt. The glass shattered and the frame was bent. His particular unit was fairly new (2-3 years old I think) but that model was already out of production, so spares were probably few. What made matters worse for him is that they had reservations at another RV park on the other side of the state and were due to leave in just a few days. They did come back the following month for a short time but I guess they had a heckuva time getting the new framework located and shipped.
Pretty sorry deal....
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
From the way I read it from this site, from the victims and the the seasoned veterans who know these matters well inside and out, it is reads more on the responsibility of buyers to find all of these matters before buying and NOT completing sale until the PDI is completely finished? Buyers should then expect to fix the issues they can or understand that there will be issues missed and/or new ones as that is the way the RV industry, expectations of more seem to be tabu?

We had issues with ours but we did very few of the repairs on our own. We found an awesome dealer close to our house who took care of all the repairs. Even the simple ones. And they did it on our time frame. We would take it over and drop it off. They would do items on the list based on how long we could leave it. Then we would pick it up and go on our trip and make arrangements for the next session. So things are not always as bad as some people would have you think.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Having survived an engine fire in a rear engine motor coach, I would always check both emergency exits in the coach during a PDI with the PDI tech. I also make sure the DW also operates the emergency exits. You should consider the 6 ft drop to the ground if you plan to go out head first. Yes, the rear emergency exit window on a Thor, gas, class A will release from the top is opened more than about 30 degrees.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If it ever came down to the fact that I had to use that window to get out of my RV: the last thing I'd worry about, would be breaking it...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If it ever came down to the fact that I had to use that window to get out of my RV: the last thing I'd worry about, would be breaking it...

I don't think it is so much about a worrying about true emergency need to get out an RV versus possibly having to spend $1,000 to replace, but the fact that some may not be aware that if you open some emergency windows in an RV, there is good chance that it may be broken during the process and cost up to $1,000 replace?

There are stickers all over emergency doors that say if you open an alarm will sound. Maybe industry could consider....

1. Sticker that warns Emergency use only. Glass will/may break in cases of any use.
2 Redesign to use non breakable glass, or such that window can flip up or down flush with the outside to be fully open to allow escape.

It reminds me of new tolls roads that constantly popping up in Dallas. I get don't get on the tolls if you don't wish to pay, but every time I find myself on one, it is because the signs were too confusing to figure out in the few seconds a decision need to be made. I get a bill in the mail every time but my bill is never because I wanted to use the toll road. Makes me wonder how many thousands of others making the same mistake every day and how many $ millions the North Texas Tollway Authority makes off people that didn't know or got confused and took the wrong path? i.e. you may see a sign that says HOV 2+ only. You got 2 people; so you take and life is good. 3 months later bill shows up and you don't even remember where you where or were you were going. Turns out some of HOV 2+ toll requires you to pre-register online and some don't, but they don't clarify which?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #17

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I had no idea they were designed to "Fallout" when opened! I've been propping ours open with a broom handle while working in the bedroom area! DOH!!
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We had issues with ours but we did very few of the repairs on our own. We found an awesome dealer close to our house who took care of all the repairs. Even the simple ones. And they did it on our time frame. We would take it over and drop it off. They would do items on the list based on how long we could leave it. Then we would pick it up and go on our trip and make arrangements for the next session. So things are not always as bad as some people would have you think.
You are in very fortunate and best situation. The company that I have rented RV's from in the past is a Thor dealer for Service, but not sales. He knows I am looking to buy and have tried to get me to buy some of his used RVs. I kind of like and want to do some repairs; that is why I wish to keep my RV at my house. But no matter how much money I may have, I don't like having to throw money at a problem that should not exist.

But I agree " things are not always as bad as some people would have you think" If I didn't believe that, I have run as fast as I could & not be on this forum interested to buy and RV.

About 10 years ago I researched and researched pressure washers for a boat. I decided on a Husky from Home Depot, started reading the reviews on Home Depot's site and 80% of customers trashed the product, it had a very low rating some claiming it didn't work out the box, leaking after 1st use, or simply no pressure at all etc. But because the price was so good, I called Home Depot Customer Service to find out how, why they could be selling a product that was rated so bad? They said the stood behind their product and reminded me it had 2 year warranty for free replacement no questions asked. I bought it and 10 years later I still have that pressure washer. I did buy a new one, but only because I wanted the new colored nozzle system to change the angles on the fly. I use the Husky for heavy duty work.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #19

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
There are 2 types of emergency egress windows. Thor manual recommends opening the windows twice a year to keep the seals from sticking to the window. Some open and fall away others are hinged at the top and need to prop open to get out.
My Siesta the egress window releases at the top (falls away) when opened about 45 degrees or greater. I can open part way and clean the seals.. I do from the outside just in case.
Another thread recommended placing a pillow or the corner of the mattress on the window frame as a cushion in the event of actual egress. Feet first of course.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #20

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Update. My emergency windows DO NOT release at the top when opened. I finally realized that there is slight resistance at about 45 degrees open, they can go to 90 degrees and do not release.
Sorry about the bum info.
Of course you should check your egress windows when you clean the gaskets..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote