Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Okay, so here is an update on my earlier post regarding the entry steps: I check the ground and found it to be good, but as a precaution I created a new ground. No help there. I checked all the wiring which seemed to be in new condition and properly connected. Checked the reed switch - working. The main wiring harness going to the stair board was folded and zip tied up to take up the slack. This was done during the stairs replacement at the dealer when I first purchased the MH. I broke the harness apart and opened the 4-way connector to check for corrosion or moisture - all looked good. Check continuity and power to the plug on the inlet side with the screen door open and then also closed. Didn't see any issue there. Then I reconnected the 4-way pug again - immediately the stairs deployed. So, I either have a faulty connector/connection at that location or possibly a broken wire or connector pin. As a precaution, I also remove the after market stair treads (I did this after the stairs worked) in case they were causing the steps to bind, affecting the motor in some way. Bottom line is that all is working as it should be. If this occurs again, then I guess I will change the 4-way connector. As an afterthought, I am wondering if the stair treads could cause the motor to freeze and when I disconnected the 4-way connector the lack of power to the motor freed it up. Just a thought though.

Thanks for everyone's help
Vince
Update: I eliminated the connector altogether. Used crimp connectors to reconnect four wires. All made weatherproof. It's working fine but will have to see for the long run.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on the fix, and I applaud your excellent problem-solving techniques!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
My 2018 ACE is a mess also. Bought November 11 last year, some important problems, finally after 98 days after purchase finally everything is supposedly fixed. I drove home and front bunk won't come down. My lawyer advises RVs in general are not covered by lemon law. You will spend a ton and will loose anyway. If you can find a lawyer who will take it on in the first place.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:17 AM   #24

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Your lawyer needs to go back to law school the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (Lemon Law) also covers RVs. There are many lawyers ready to take on your case (Google is your friend). There are provisions you need to first address prior to contacting a lawyer for action. There are a number of repairs on the same item that are required to be fulfilled prior to crying uncle. I had a fuel system problem on a 2 yr old car that failed 7 times in a month after being repaired each time. The dealer was very gracious in declaring the vehicle a lemon, no lawyer involved. Got a new vehicle from the dealer.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:53 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Thor should use the entry that is on the Vegas & Axis on all their units.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #26

Model: Thor Tuscany XTE 40 GQ
State: California
THOR #21447
thor tuscany xte 2016 40GQ

My entry step just starting acting up. When loading for a trip the step would not extend or retract all the way. There was a grinding sound on and off. Went camping, set up the rig and with the steps fully extended there was a loud sound almost like air being let out of a balloon, but much louder. Made me wonder about the compressor. But nothing else for the 3 day stay. When loading up and turning off the step switch the loud noise started again and the step would not extend or retract without "help". I got out and pushed or pulled it in. Crawled underneath an could hear what I assumed were gears grinding. The motor ran just fine through all of this. After connecting the toad, we enlisted the aid of a friendly stranger to push the step up after getting in and closing the door. We made the 3 hour trip and parked the rig in the drive way. A mobile repair guy said he needs to replace the motor, gear and brain as it is now only sold as a "kit" He said he used to be able to purchase the motor and gear. I will let you know.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly View Post
My entry step just starting acting up. When loading for a trip the step would not extend or retract all the way. There was a grinding sound on and off. Went camping, set up the rig and with the steps fully extended there was a loud sound almost like air being let out of a balloon, but much louder. Made me wonder about the compressor. But nothing else for the 3 day stay. When loading up and turning off the step switch the loud noise started again and the step would not extend or retract without "help". I got out and pushed or pulled it in. Crawled underneath an could hear what I assumed were gears grinding. The motor ran just fine through all of this. After connecting the toad, we enlisted the aid of a friendly stranger to push the step up after getting in and closing the door. We made the 3 hour trip and parked the rig in the drive way. A mobile repair guy said he needs to replace the motor, gear and brain as it is now only sold as a "kit" He said he used to be able to purchase the motor and gear. I will let you know.

I do not know your exact part numbers but I do not think that is correct. I recently bought a new motor to carry in my spares bag and last summer bought a gearbox (that I didn’t end up needing so it’s also in my spares bag). And I recently looked up a controller for a friend. Surprisingly the motor and gearbox were not expensive and were stock items through Amazon. In my quest to figure mine out I learned that there is a plastic gear in the linkage that is easily broken and not separately available. It seems to be the usual culprit.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #28

Model: Thor Tuscany XTE 40 GQ
State: California
THOR #21447
Thor Tuscany entry step motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I do not know your exact part numbers but I do not think that is correct. I recently bought a new motor to carry in my spares bag and last summer bought a gearbox (that I didn’t end up needing so it’s also in my spares bag). And I recently looked up a controller for a friend. Surprisingly the motor and gearbox were not expensive and were stock items through Amazon. In my quest to figure mine out I learned that there is a plastic gear in the linkage that is easily broken and not separately available. It seems to be the usual culprit.
I have since gotten a text from repair guy; he was able to purchase a motor and gear from ... his parts person(?) but got the model number from Amazon. I think you have a good idea of keeping a spare. Thanks for your information