Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Brand: Airstream
State: California
THOR #15263
Error E2 Girard GSWH-2 Tankless water heater

Can't figure out my error code E2 for a Girard GSWH-2 Tankless water heater. The unit seems to want to power up but quickly stops and flashes E2 while beeping. I've checked: water flow, breaker, fuse, etc. The unit is less than a year old.

Any tips, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
From what I just read. Error Code E2 means that the flame out circuit activated. There is a reset button that you could try to fix it. Remove the outer panel and inside there is a very small white reset button that has two wires connecting to it. It does not even come close to looking like a reset button. There is a You tube video showing the location and picture of that button. Good luck

Paul
Old 09-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Brand: Airstream
THOR #15263
I've seen that one video on YouTube. My unit is different (my unit is newer) and it doesn't have that little white reset button. I've checked the fuse too. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to triple check.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Yep, no white reset button on the newer version 2's.

Ok, I fought with the E2 error for 14 months. E2 is a flame sensor error. Give us more info.

- First, does it do it every time or is it sporadic?

- When you turn on the hot water, first thing that should show up in the control window is the fan icon (bottom left) and then the faucet head (bottom right) that shows flow. Then the flame icon will come on towards the bottom middle. Does this happen? Does the flame icon go out and then the E2 error flashes?

- I'm going to assume this is the case. Next thing to do is go outside and open the water heater door. Have someone turn the hot water on and watch if the burner ignites. It is behind the front control panel. If it does and then goes out, there are a few things it can be. If it doesn't even light it may be the igniter. You can try to clean it as they do get dirty.

Let us know what you see when it is trying to light and we can do next steps.

I fought a sporadic one for the first 14 months of us owning the MH. It wouldn't ever do it at a dealer but I had video of it doing it. Two different dealers worked on it over 8 hours and couldn't figure it out. Could have put in an entire new water heater and it would have been cheaper. I finally took it to the factory. The tech saw it happen once and the service writer saw it twice in a row but then it worked like 10 times in a row so he was basically insinuating that it was fine. Long story short, the service writer finally agreed to call Girard after I got a little agitated. Girard agreed to change the control panel and the igniter/flame sensor array and it has been working fine since.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, girard, gswh-2, water heater