Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Excellent Hydraulics Service

I would like to recommend Juicy’s Hydraulic Service in Albuquerque NM. After 2 years of trying to get my jacks to stop sinking and being told at the service centers they couldn’t find any problem, Bruce at Juicy’s removed the front 2 jacks and found a hole in the left front hydraulic hose that led to that jack. He replaced it, then found grooves inside the right front jack which he smoothed out. After replacing both, and recycling the fluid, my jacks are holding tight. The service was done back in August. The best part - his charge was extremely low for the hours he and his assistant put in!
Tell him Elaine sent you.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Always good to hear about great service, and that everything is working. Had jack problems myself...did not the hole in the hose leak fluid?
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

THOR #3772
Excellent Hydraulics service

I don’t know if there was fluid coming from it or not. I didn’t think to ask Bruce. I never noticed any liquid where I was parked. I just know every time I took it in I was told they couldn’t see any indication the jacks were leaking. Don’t know anything about hydraulics and how they work. Bruce just told me he had never seen a system where two jacks were linked to work together. He said if I still had problems with it he could fix it so each jack would operate independently and guaranteed that would fix the issue - but about $2000 to do it.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Maybe the hole was small enough, and it leaked so little, that it stopped leaking once the pressure dropped off of it from holding the MH up, that it was un-noticeable.

I am somewhat familiar with ours' operation, Lippert Level Up system, you may have the same system too.
The pairing of cylinders, on hoses like he hasn't experienced much, has more to do with the retracting (raising up).
The control of each jack individually could be accomplished with a properly programmed control panel.

Right now, our control (the brain or computer part), extends them in pairs, be it a side, or an end, and each of the four jacks, individually is, on an end or a side.
There are individual solenoid control valves, on the hydraulic manifold (1 per cylinder), for the control of each jacking cylinder, the system is wired to use two at a time.

I guess, this way, less twisting stresses on the RV's frame, windows, etc, going in pairs vs one jack at a time.
I don't think running one jack cylinder at a time would be easier at leveling out, plus you would not want to crack the windshield, or cause slide out problems.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #5

THOR #13869
I am also glad you found someone trustworthy to help you out.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

THOR #3772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Maybe the hole was small enough, and it leaked so little, that it stopped leaking once the pressure dropped off of it from holding the MH up, that it was un-noticeable.

I am somewhat familiar with ours' operation, Lippert Level Up system, you may have the same system too.
The pairing of cylinders, on hoses like he hasn't experienced much, has more to do with the retracting (raising up).
The control of each jack individually could be accomplished with a properly programmed control panel.

Right now, our control (the brain or computer part), extends them in pairs, be it a side, or an end, and each of the four jacks, individually is, on an end or a side.
There are individual solenoid control valves, on the hydraulic manifold (1 per cylinder), for the control of each jacking cylinder, the system is wired to use two at a time.

I guess, this way, less twisting stresses on the RV's frame, windows, etc, going in pairs vs one jack at a time.
I don't think running one jack cylinder at a time would be easier at leveling out, plus you would not want to crack the windshield, or cause slide out problems.
Thanks. I remember Bruce did explain some of that. I had been using the manual leveling until after Bruce fixed the jacks. Now I can use the auto level and it works much better than it was working before.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
It would also be nice if a reputable hydraulic shop would develop complete jack repair kit(s) for the lippert units with all appropriate grade replacement seals/seats, banjo bolts, crush washers etc instead of being forced to replace entire jacks when a basic seal repair could more cheaply be done (even by a hydraulic shop if the owner is not capable). So far I have not had a hydraulic problem on my coach, but eventually a seal is going to leak. Glad you found a shop that is honest and did a good job for a reasonable price.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #8

THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
It would also be nice if a reputable hydraulic shop would develop complete jack repair kit(s) for the lippert units with all appropriate grade replacement seals/seats, banjo bolts, crush washers etc instead of being forced to replace entire jacks when a basic seal repair could more cheaply be done (even by a hydraulic shop if the owner is not capable). So far I have not had a hydraulic problem on my coach, but eventually a seal is going to leak. Glad you found a shop that is honest and did a good job for a reasonable price.
I thought I saw seal kits for the jack cylinders on the Lippert site.
My problem kept leading me to believe the pump was not putting out.
I kept thinking that is a gear pump, when I had it apart, it did not show any wear!
Turned out to be the directional valve was getting stuck.

One time apart, the spool shifted by pushing on it.
Problem again, finally pulling it again, and the spool was stuck.

Internet search to find out who is made by and where to get one.
The part had some numbers stamped on the hex part for a wrench to install it.
Not offered by Lippert.
You cannot buy the pump by itself either, but ours was not bad.

The directional valve was a $41 part, minimum purchase of $80, through an industrial supply hydraulics store.
So we now have a spare we may never need after swapping out the problem one.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 AM   #9

THOR #2631
If you have a link to Lippert levelling jack repair kits please post it......I seem to recall reading that Lippert requires complete jack replacement and no repair kits are provided. Maybe Lippert has decided to help their customers save money and reduce land fill debris by making jack repair kits available.......nice if they would include repair parts for the hydraulic pumps too.......right.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #10

THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
If you have a link to Lippert levelling jack repair kits please post it......I seem to recall reading that Lippert requires complete jack replacement and no repair kits are provided. Maybe Lippert has decided to help their customers save money and reduce land fill debris by making jack repair kits available.......nice if they would include repair parts for the hydraulic pumps too.......right.
https://store.lci1.com/products/leve...aulic-leveling

On this page I saw seal kits and packing glands, but my searches were for an extension & retraction of the jacks problem we were experiencing, not to rebuild a leaking jack cylinder.
The ones on this page may not be for what you have, here they say for Lippert Gear Up leveling.

I remember seeing wiring harnesses separately, the solenoids, and maybe a pressure switch for the hydraulic system from Lippert.

As for the pump, when you recognize yours by the looks of their picture, then you know how much $$, but you are looking at the complete unit as a replacement, from the reservoir, the pump, manifold, control valves, hose fittings, to the 12V motor and a wiring harness.

Then you can find, like one alternate place, to buy the parts a bit cheaper than from Lippert.

I removed the pump from ours, found mfr's name and model number.
I could only get PDF spec sheets on it, but no where to purchase one, it did not show wear anyway leading the diagnosis elsewhere for me.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #11

THOR #2631
Thanks for posting the Lippert link 10scDust and for your suggestions. So far I have not needed parts or repair for my hydraulic jack system (which uses the non spring return; two hoses at the top style jacks - 12K axle and 6K front end coach). I find the Lippert web pages a maze of rabbit holes to try and find the specific parts that "may" actually match my system. The manual lists jacks that don't match anything on the web pages. Maybe 2013 (built 2012) would require some different replacement part numbers / devices now. I suspect that if (when) I actually need hydraulic jack system repairs I will need to contact Lippert directly with my specific part numbers to find out what they have to repair or replace. There is always local hydraulic repair shops, but if the Lippert repair parts are vendor specific (not generally available), then of course, the local shops won't be able to rebuild the jacks/pump etc. I have read some issues others have had with trying to get local shops to repair their RV hydraulics......most don't end well (or cheaply). Thanks for your posting info and comments.