Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Extended Warranty , Yes or No ??

Just wondering what y'all think about purchasing extended warranty for our new Challenger 37 LX.

5 yrs or 60,000 miles, covers everything - $5628.00

5 yrs or 60,000 miles excludes chassis (which I assume the Ford warranty covers) - $5287.00

$200 deductible on each of these.

Do you think it's worth purchasing extended warranty? Thanks

Bob

Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
IMO, no. Over $5000 out of pocket to start with and then $200 a pop to fix something under the warranty?

There's a lot of stuff I can fix for under $200 without going through the hassle of getting an RV repair shop to take the warranty and fix it right. The most expensive things to have to fix/replace are the refrigerator, slide components, hydraulics, and the generator. Any of those over $5000? Probably not.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
First, "Covers Everything" is not true. Please read the fine print in the contract. Second: NO! Not worth it.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Never.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
No way, no how!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Extended Service Contract?

I'll try for a more balanced response. What works best for you depends on your skills and ability to absorb what may be large unplanned expenses at what, according to Murphy's Law, is the worst possible time. Also factor in how long you plan to keep your coach. If you can do simple engine / generator / AC repair and are comfortable knowing if a repair shop is bamming you then you might want to put the cost of a service plan aside for future repairs and replacements. Replacement/repair costs for hydraulic systems (levelers and slides), AC's, refrigerators can add up, so if an unexpected expensive repair would throw your budget into a tizzy than you would sleep better knowing you were covered. You also need to clearly understand what is NOT covered--ask about seals and gaskets, damage caused to a different component as a result of the first damaged component (subsequent damage), outside wall coverage (fiberglass delamination), and damage caused by road hazards.
All that said, the price you shared was high, too high IMHO for the deductible. If you are still interested in an extended service plan, I sugget that you get more quotes.

PS: I have purchased an extended service plan, after collecting several quotes, for my prior two coaches and for my current coach. It paid for itself on my prior two coaches for the repairs and replacements I needed in the 7 years I owned each one.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Must agree with the majority opinion here so far. It's the deductibles and the exclusions that bite when things need repair. They never cover what they call normal wear and tear.

If you are financing the RV and add in the warranty, the cost goes up dramatically. Dealers often push these hard because the commission can be as much as half of the cost! You know the insurance company is making a profit on these contracts, or they wouldn't offer them! I've met people who saved big $ with these, like with the lottery, winners are rare, but they do exist.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
I would suggest putting the $5000 in the bank. Most of your worst failures will likely be inside your basic warranty period. Past that you have a good chance of not spending most of the $5000 within the warranty period.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
I'm okay with minor break/fix stuff, but personally I like the piece of mind of having an extended warranty (at a fair cost) for repairs in years 2-5. Time will tell if it is the right decision.

Be sure to read the fine print in detail on any extended warranty to fully understand what is covered (especially around the electronics) and ask questions before you purchase. If the dealer cannot answer your questions with confidence or show you in the literature, call the extended warranty company's support line to get clarity before you sign.

Lastly, I'll assume you've negotiated the extended warranty price. Good Sams offer extended warranties and if you visit their website, Good Sam - Quote Starter you can get a free quote. Takes about 90 seconds and you'll have a comparison quote.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #10

THOR #7853
Thanks so much for the responses everybody.

We were pretty much thinking the same as the exact thing. Gonna bank a little cash and fix what I can myself... I am pretty comfortable with any mechanical repairs that may be needed since I was a mechanic in a previous life. I also am currently a contractor so I have the carpentry part covered as well.

You guys rock !!!

ArrrV, Nice to see another pirate in the house !!!

Bob
Old 06-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Also - this isn't your only chance to get one if you decide you want it...
Use the warranty for year 1 - see what your experiences are - then decide if you want an after market extended service plan (they are not warranties)...

Your warranty buying new should be 1 year from Thor... and 3/36 on chassis/powertrain from Ford.
For used, the Thor warranty doesn't transfer, but the Ford portion does.

After market options include pay by the month, adjustable deductibles as your needs change, or plans like what you are being offered now.

I lean away from the dealer offered plans - and definitely away from financing them... I have carried an after market extended service plan - choosing a higher deductible knowing I will fix many smaller things - but wanting the peace of mind for a major failure...

Clearly a personal choice with no right/wrong answer...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #12

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
I'll try for a more balanced response. What works best for you depends on your skills and ability to absorb what may be large unplanned expenses at what, according to Murphy's Law, is the worst possible time. Also factor in how long you plan to keep your coach. If you can do simple engine / generator / AC repair and are comfortable knowing if a repair shop is bamming you then you might want to put the cost of a service plan aside for future repairs and replacements. Replacement/repair costs for hydraulic systems (levelers and slides), AC's, refrigerators can add up, so if an unexpected expensive repair would throw your budget into a tizzy than you would sleep better knowing you were covered. You also need to clearly understand what is NOT covered--ask about seals and gaskets, damage caused to a different component as a result of the first damaged component (subsequent damage), outside wall coverage (fiberglass delamination), and damage caused by road hazards.
All that said, the price you shared was high, too high IMHO for the deductible. If you are still interested in an extended service plan, I sugget that you get more quotes.

PS: I have purchased an extended service plan, after collecting several quotes, for my prior two coaches and for my current coach. It paid for itself on my prior two coaches for the repairs and replacements I needed in the 7 years I owned each one.
Who did you get you extended service plans from ?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #13

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Also - this isn't your only chance to get one if you decide you want it...
Use the warranty for year 1 - see what your experiences are - then decide if you want an after market extended service plan (they are not warranties)...

Your warranty buying new should be 1 year from Thor... and 3/36 on chassis/powertrain from Ford.
For used, the Thor warranty doesn't transfer, but the Ford portion does.

After market options include pay by the month, adjustable deductibles as your needs change, or plans like what you are being offered now.

I lean away from the dealer offered plans - and definitely away from financing them... I have carried an after market extended service plan - choosing a higher deductible knowing I will fix many smaller things - but wanting the peace of mind for a major failure...

Clearly a personal choice with no right/wrong answer...
Who did you get your service plan from?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #14

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
I got my best price for the most coverage from Wholesale Warranties, find them on the internet. I found that there is a difference between new and used: you must sign up within the first year to get the new price,as the mfg warranty is priced in. Deductibles are weird too, so ask. It was $50 more to go from $100 to $25 deductible for the life of my contract.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
Who did you get your service plan from?
I have mine through Good Sam's...
Pay monthly - and can adjust deductibles (I think twice a year) either up or down which adjusts premium. (perhaps a lower deductible in months in use - and higher while in storage as options...)
Second RV I have had with them.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #16

THOR #7853
Thanks guys. I will look into our options and have something in place before the manufacturer warranty is over. This stuff gives me a headache.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 AM   #17

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I'm in a similar situation as yours. DW and I will pick up our '17 Challenger 37LX tomorrow. Based on advice I got on this forum, we shopped around in advance of pickup, when I know Camping World will try to sell us a Good Sam plan.

I spoke with Jennie at United States Warranty Corporation yesterday. What a nice person, so good to talk to. She sent me a quote. Same year/model as yours, so I assume you'd get the same price. There may be a difference based on location. I got a discount for being a vet, but am not old enough for the senior discount.

Eagle Guardian Motorized plan has a $100 deductible. It covers everything that's not specifically excluded, which you can read on their website. Mostly stuff like cabinetry, paint, furniture, non-operating cosmetics like molding...

Our cost for 5 years would be just under $3500.

I'm leaning strongly towards this one, but not in cement yet.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #18

THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
I'm in a similar situation as yours. DW and I will pick up our '17 Challenger 37LX tomorrow. Based on advice I got on this forum, we shopped around in advance of pickup, when I know Camping World will try to sell us a Good Sam plan.

I spoke with Jennie at United States Warranty Corporation yesterday. What a nice person, so good to talk to. She sent me a quote. Same year/model as yours, so I assume you'd get the same price. There may be a difference based on location. I got a discount for being a vet, but am not old enough for the senior discount.

Eagle Guardian Motorized plan has a $100 deductible. It covers everything that's not specifically excluded, which you can read on their website. Mostly stuff like cabinetry, paint, furniture, non-operating cosmetics like molding...

Our cost for 5 years would be just under $3500.

I'm leaning strongly towards this one, but not in cement yet.

Mike, Thanks for the lead on USWC , will check them out too. Are you planning on running with the factory warranty for a while and then purchasing additional coverage, or are you getting something in place from the get go? We are gonna get something within the first year.

Bob
Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #19

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
When we began full time in a fiver several years ago my F350 had almost 20,000 miles on it but still under 3 year factory warranty. Bought extended Ford warranty on line mainly because I knew we would be towing a heavy load. Wasn't really concerned with RV extended warranty as much.

When we found used Challenger last year I made the deal and just before signing insisted on warranty. It didn't work but I did get a 5 year one for under $2,000 which covers coach and chassis. Dealer insisted he was lossin money but I figured $2,000 was what he pays for a 5 year warranty he sells to customers for $5,000 or more.

My thinking on wanting the warranty was coverage on frig, air conditioners, and generator. I figured if anything big had to be replaced like that I would easily get my $2,000 back.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #20

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I got a "house only" for 3 years, to even out the initial chassis and coach coverage.

Knowing these are difficult to use I was about to pass on the ~$5000 plans and this one was less than $1500. I feel comfortable with that price for the piece of mind aspect only. This should be there for any poor components that fail early, and then I will take over with normal or near normal wear and tear maintenance issues with the service centers I like and no 3rd party payer issues associated with service plans.