Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Exterior Restoration

Howdy

We have a 2014 ACE with the HD Max exterior. Previous owner apparently did not take very good care of the exterior and, consequently, it looks pretty rough as there are chalky white splotches all over and the graphis are in bad shape, especially on the front and rear caps where they are split and discolored. I'm thinking about removing them and then having them painted on after addressing the gelcoat issues. As for restoring the gelcoat/HD Max, I'm thinking about applying Meguiar's Marine/RV One-Step Compound [#67] or Mirror Glaze HD Oxidation Remover [#49] followed by Meguiar's Marine/RV Polish & Gloss Enhancer [#45], and finishing with Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Liquid Wax [#63].

Any thoughts on this process?? Also, at what point should the graphics be painted on??

Thanks much

Old 08-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
If you use that process please update on the results. One side of my RV needs some attention. I tried waxing one time and the surface was still a little to warm. Have swirl marks. I need to clean that side and remove all existing wax and start over. No oxidation right now.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Nice. I have waxed w mcguiars With a buddy for seven hours. It looked pretty good for about three or four months but this is more effort than I would like. I am going to try poly glow this winter and will give an update on my results. Search the forum and there are a number of threads on this
Old 08-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #4

THOR #1929
I agree. I am getting to old to be waxing all the time. I have read many threads on Poly Glow. Love to hear the results.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #5

THOR #10300
Thanks much - I'll check that out -- I too am not looking forward to all the labor involved in above plan, but I have had the MH detailed by "professional" detailers twice and it still looks like crap.

BTW any thoughts on removing weathered graphics and having them painted on after addressing the oxidation of the fibreglass?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Siesta 24 ST
State: Louisiana
THOR #6042
Searching threads for the same issue. 2014 Siesta 24 ft, toooo much for us to reach the cap ( worse part) but we are willing to do it, with the right product. I am trying to be talked out of barkeepers friend for removal of oxidation and old gel coat/wax followed by ZEP wax. Thoughts ?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

THOR #10300
I read quite a bit regarding PoliGlow on various sites and was about ready to go that route until I read a few boating related sites. I believe PoliGlow was originally intended for the marine world so it made sense to look there as well. Reviews from that segment I read were not as enthralled as RVers with the product. In fact, several were downright hostile toward it. Claims are that the PoliGlow product will eventually fail (oxidize) and it is nearly impossible to get it off to start anew.

Evidently there are no easy (and economically realistic [e.g., full body paint]) solutions.

Now what????
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yes, I look forward to reading about your result.
I didn't try those exact products. The gloss enhancer sounds interesting to me.

I did try several different types of compounds and polishes a couple years ago, even bought a buffer to really get into it. Sadly I didn't get much of a result....nothing anywhere nearly as good as when I finally did the acrylic floor polish trick
Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
what brand floor polish?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #9420
We have a 2014 Windsport 34E, bought it used and the owners obviously didn't take very good care of the HD Max gelcoat exterior. I tried the ZEP high gloss acrylic wax trick, looked good for a short period. Then I noticed it seemed to started yellowing and realized after some googling, that this wax doesn't haves UV protection. Then the fun part of stripping it off.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

THOR #1929
I read that Poly Glow is basically an acrylic floor polish