Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Replacing awning on 2016 VEGAS 25.2

Has anyone attempted replacing the awning on their VEGAS/AXIS? Had some hail damage on the awning when rolled up last year. "Repaired" it with gorilla tape last year (since our travels were limited)..

Now, this year, am considering replacing the fabric since there are some stains on the underside where the awning was not extended as much last year, and, since there are some weak areas under the gorilla-repairs, I am thinking about just replacing it.. (That and being five years old)

Any suggestions (or warnings) would be appreciated.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
we replaced the awing on our vegas before we traded it in, was around 1300 dollars for the complete awing plus labor. Repair shop ordered it for us.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
We replaced ours a few months ago. Took both of us to slip into guides, not difficult just akward. Me on step ladder, wife on RV ladder. Found if we draw across our Suburban it helped to keep it from falling back off. I removed old and cleaned slots then sprayed slots with RV silicone and it slid super easy. Fishing wire for lights was not an issue with patience.

One note on replacement, I got mine off Amazon. Size was listed at 16' from Thor, measued at 15' 6" actual. Replacement was closer to 15' 4" and was $145./Prime. The oem people wanted $450. I had bought in 2019 but did not replace as still operational. The only reason we dragged across Suburban was when going from ground, fabric would slide out when I move ladder. When clean slids easy, just watch slot transition at start.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

THOR #5313
I should have added, mine is 2016 Vegas and awning has arms. I had to take cover (black plastic off rear side of roller. I do that annually to clean and lube roller bearing surfaces. There are screws holding fabric into track which were no issue.

Was very simple project though I would not do in breezy conditions. After in place we ran it in and out some to find best tracking. Was easy but take time to watch arms. I keep roller end clean under covers as I know people who have had them get real tight.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #5

THOR #5313
I also used ratchet straps on arms so they would not flop around.