Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
EZ oil change thanks to Harbor Freight

Changed the oil today in my 29M. Having installed the Fumo valve on the last oil change it was easy to drain the oil. I purchased a hand transfer pump from Harbor Freight for 6.99 and with 20% off it was 5.59 total. Part #63591. This pump worked great, you are able to leave the 5 quart jug on the ground insert the intake hose then insert the outlet hose into the oil fill, then pump away. Then added the other two quarts to the big jug, took about 30 pumps to do all 7 quarts about 5 to 7 min. A hell of alot easer than trying to pour quarts into the fill.
This pump can also be used for siphoning and can be used as an air pump for like small things.
They also make a battery pump for 8.99

Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Thanks for this, A diesel might be a bit more difficult - filter changes are needed too!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mcgann@bellsouth.net View Post
Thanks for this, A diesel might be a bit more difficult - filter changes are needed too!
Also, most diesels hold a lot more oil than most gas engines.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #4

THOR #13712
I looked and mine says 17 quarts! That's a bunch of oil. Anyone know the change intervals? Manual is a bit confusing with intervals and oil filter part numbers. I'm a "do it yourself" person, so I'm looking for on-line parts.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Can you provide link to pump you bought? I searched all over Harbor Freight for part number and hand transfer pump and got nothing.

Also which Fumoto valve?

I checked with a local RV service center and they charge $180/hour PERIOD. Even for changing oil.

Thanks to people like you, I start to get confident about buying again. The gloom and doom stuff about how hard to do kinda works on your psycher when you are trying to take the plunge.

i.e. why all batteries in RV's are NOT Deep Cycle AGM I will never know.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Fumoto valve I have is a F106, you need to go on there web sight and find the one for your Ford engine.

Here is a pic of the transfer pump from Harbour Fright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	14215  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
Fumoto valve I have is a F106, you need to go on there web sight and find the one for your Ford engine.

Thank you on this Thanksgiving holiday, you da man today. Every little bit of help, helps
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Read the reviews of the transfer pump

I am a big fan of harbor freight tools. I buy lots of them. I usually read the reviews before I purchase. I did not do this when I purchased this pump years ago. It worked great the first time I used it. Three months later it did not work. The seals failed. Maybe I should have cleaned it with detergent before I stored it. This is a common complaint in the reviews. Just a heads up. It is cheap enough for a onetime use.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Big fan of Fumoto valve. With a short length of plastic hose you can drain the sump in minutes with no tools and no mess. You won’t even get your hands dirty. Dealer had a “special” on oil changes for my F53 at “only” $115. And that’s with conventional oil. Did it myself for about $35 using Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Big fan of Fumoto valve. With a short length of plastic hose you can drain the sump in minutes with no tools and no mess. You won’t even get your hands dirty. Dealer had a “special” on oil changes for my F53 at “only” $115. And that’s with conventional oil. Did it myself for about $35 using Mobil 1 full synthetic.
How hard to get at the filter and move it? Is filter underneath or underneath / behind the hood
Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 AM   #11

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
Right on the bottom and easy to get to on my 2013 V10.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
How hard to get at the filter and move it? Is filter underneath or underneath / behind the hood

On the Ford 10 cylinder the filter is vertical, right next to the oil pan with the open end up. Super easy access while you’re underneath draining the sump. If you use a large styrofoam cup (big gulp from the convenience store) when removing it the cup will catch most of the oil and keep you from burning your hand. Seriously, I’ve changes a lot of car oil in the last half century and these are, hands down, the easiest to do. Helps that most RVs have pretty good ground clearance/access.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:04 AM   #13

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
On the Ford 10 cylinder the filter is vertical, right next to the oil pan with the open end up. Super easy access while you’re underneath draining the sump. If you use a large styrofoam cup (big gulp from the convenience store) when removing it the cup will catch most of the oil and keep you from burning your hand. Seriously, I’ve changes a lot of car oil in the last half century and these are, hands down, the easiest to do. Helps that most RVs have pretty good ground clearance/access.
I use a 2 liter coke bottle. I cut tge top off. Fits around the filter great. No mess

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 AM   #14

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
At 17 qts it must be a 6.7l cummins?
oil changes can extend out to around 18000 miles depending on if its long distance or more local and the oil filters can be bought on line through fleetquard part number is
LF3970 or can get at semi dealers and napa but I don't know there number but anyone should be able to cross the lf3970 to there brand, don't forget the fuel filters.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:32 AM   #15

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post

The Fumoto valve that ya'll are talking about, does it have a small lever to turn and a nipple on the end to put a hose on? The F106 like that I found online for $34.99 was a F106N, does that sound right for my Windsport M29?
I like the transfer pump idea!
Great Wife
Life is Good!
skiptut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #16

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
The Fumoto valve that ya'll are talking about, does it have a small lever to turn and a nipple on the end to put a hose on? The F106 like that I found online for $34.99 was a F106N, does that sound right for my Windsport M29?
I like the transfer pump idea!
Tut,
Thats the correct one F106n

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-22-2018, 03:07 AM   #17

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Tut,
Thats the correct one F106n

Jerry
Thanks for the heads up Jerry. Have you used the hand pump on your MH or have you found a better way?
Great Wife
Life is Good!
skiptut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #18

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
Thanks for the heads up Jerry. Have you used the hand pump on your MH or have you found a better way?
I like the pump idea but dont use one. I just pour the quart into a funnel. The funnel has a 6" or so spout that fits down the oil fill tube. The spout holds the funnel in place

Its a bit of a pain but i got it down now so really not a problem.

I buy the Mobile one oil at Costco when on sale

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #19

THOR #13712
Yes indeed a Cummings diesel 6.7. Will change the oil now and get the rig on my own maintenance schedule. Thanks for the response and information.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:50 AM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
oil change

I have a Vegas 25.2 RUV class A. It has a V-10 and I just take it to a Ford dealer and they change the oil and filter for $29.99. My local Ford dealer does not have a big enough lift so I have to go to the next town to have it done. My local Ford dealer used to do my old class B.