Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Factory service experience

In a couple of weeks I'll be taking our Axis to the Thor Factory service center in Wakarusa, IN. I figured I'd start this thread to chronicle my experiences.

Given that I don't know what the weather holds for the next two weeks, and that we have a nice and sunny day with very little wind I figured I'd take the cover off. This turned out to be a little harder than I thought with about 3" of snow and ice on it (this past week we've had about 2-3" of flurries).

Doesn't look like I've done much damage to either the Axis or the cover--other than the radio antenna broke (not sure if the snow/ice on the cover did that or my act of removing the cover did that).

The reason I made the factory service appointment: We've had a slow leak below the passenger window--slow enough that we didn't even notice it the first season. Unfortunately after our first freeze this year a section of the wall below the window swelled up as the water in there froze. Thus off to factory service to see what they can do about all that....

For my trip there I'm not planning on dewinterizing the coach: I'm bringing some extra gallons of antifreeze to flush the toilet with and will use bottled water. Also bringing "simple food" that won't dirty the place up too much. Hopefully I'll only be there a day, or two.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #3441
Jamie,

I will be going up for the same reason but drivers side in a few weeks. Any advise or suggestions?

Adam
Old 02-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkottler
I will be going up for the same reason but drivers side in a few weeks. Any advise or suggestions?
Don't have any yet as my appt isn't for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
How far in advance did you need to make the appointment?

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger
How far in advance did you need to make the appointment?
I made this appointment in the first days of December last year (about 3 months).

When I did they pretty much said I had my pick of days as they weren't full up yet (my request was something like: "I'd like to schedule an appointment for early spring if possible?").
Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
I'm curious as to how this works and what's the benefit? We just purchased a new Challenger from an out of state dealer. There is a Thor authorized service center at a dealer near us that we had intended to use for a few warranty items. We had an appointment with them where they were supposed to assess the items and we would schedule a future appointment to make any repairs. When my husband got there, the service manager informed him that he couldn't do anything about any items on our list, that we'd have to leave the RV for several weeks to get that done, and that Thor was very slow to ship parts so the whole process could take months. Not to mention it needed to be completely empty before they would even take it. Needless to say, he didn't leave it and we have another appointment with another dealer next week. We do not want to just leave it anywhere. When we were shopping, one dealer told us we could walk through an RV that belonged to a customer that was in for service. We pretty much had unsupervised access to all the RVs sitting in the service lot. We sure as heck don't want our RV to be used as a "model" while it's sitting there waiting for service!

What's the best way to handle warranty issues in your experience? Leave it with a dealer and wait, deal with Thor directly to schedule work done at a dealer, or make that trip to the factory service center? As we're in the Orlando FL area this would not be a short trip, and my husband still works full-time so time off would be necessary.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren
I'm curious as to how this works and what's the benefit? We just purchased a new Challenger from an out of state dealer. There is a Thor authorized service center at a dealer near us that we had intended to use for a few warranty items. We had an appointment with them where they were supposed to assess the items and we would schedule a future appointment to make any repairs. When my husband got there, the service manager informed him that he couldn't do anything about any items on our list, that we'd have to leave the RV for several weeks to get that done, and that Thor was very slow to ship parts so the whole process could take months. Not to mention it needed to be completely empty before they would even take it. Needless to say, he didn't leave it and we have another appointment with another dealer next week. We do not want to just leave it anywhere. When we were shopping, one dealer told us we could walk through an RV that belonged to a customer that was in for service. We pretty much had unsupervised access to all the RVs sitting in the service lot. We sure as heck don't want our RV to be used as a "model" while it's sitting there waiting for service!

What's the best way to handle warranty issues in your experience? Leave it with a dealer and wait, deal with Thor directly to schedule work done at a dealer, or make that trip to the factory service center? As we're in the Orlando FL area this would not be a short trip, and my husband still works full-time so time off would be necessary.
Your best bet is to find a better place to get service in FL. There are quite a few people from FL on the forums here; I'm sure one will come along and recommend a better place.

The ideal service experience would be them taking a look, letting you take the unit home and have you return once the parts arrived (our local dealer did this when our unit was brand new).

People use the factory service for some really serious problems, or if they happen to be passing by they will schedule it.

As I understand it the factory service typically works as follows:
  • Several months ahead (for me it was 3) contact Thor (I e-mailed them) to request an appointment with the factory service. Include a list of things to be repaired
  • You'll be scheduled service for a Monday
  • People usually arrive the night before and plug in--there are several parking spots with electricity (they only schedule as many appointments as they have spots)
  • First thing in the morning (7am) they pull your coach in and start working on it
  • By about 3pm every day they will close it up enough for you to sleep in it and pull it back out to your spot
(This is what I've read and what they explained to me in my communications with Thor.)

For me: I still work full time and am taking a few days off so I can get this done. I'm using factory service for my leak just in case there is some hidden structural damage below the window. I'm hoping not, and hoping the service will be done by the end of the day. Given that I've heard of many Axis/Vegas units with a similar leak (just look a few posts up) I'm guessing the service probably has this fix down pat.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Contact General RV of Tampa. They are a Thor authorized dealer. They are located between exit 14 & 17 east of Tampa on I-4. They did all my 2015 Vegas warranty work and I never waited more than 4 days for parts from Thor.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #9

THOR #6310
Thanks for the tips! We had good experiences with our old RV at Giant Recreation World in the past, so we'll go there. They said we won't have to leave the RV.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #10

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Contact General RV of Tampa. They are a Thor authorized dealer. They are located between exit 14 & 17 east of Tampa on I-4. They did all my 2015 Vegas warranty work and I never waited more than 4 days for parts from Thor.
I know right where that is. Have passed it many times on our way to the gulf coast. Will keep that one in mind if needed. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
This really stinks Jamie.

I hope that you don't have any structural damage in the coach.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I look forward to hearing about your experience at the factory. I also have an appointment at the factory in April. If you wish to make an appointment, contact Thor warranty and they will put you on the schedule, usually several months ahead as they stay busy.

I figured going to the factory was the best since they made it. I don't have to wait for warranty approval nor do I have to worry about someone that doesn't generally work on Thor get assigned to my rig or fit it into their schedule arond other service work. Not saying that they (other service center) may not do a good job, these are just the things that go on in the back of my mind and have already experienced and read a million times on the forum.

I too will be sure to post my non-emotional experience both pros and cons.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I'm now posting from the comfy lounge area at Thor's factory service center. About 30 minutes ago I watched them drive my Axis to a different area in the complex here.

When you look at the center using Google's streetview you get the impression that the facility is the large building with all the tall doors. Apparently not so: Its really a bunch of buildings in the immediate vicinity. This makes sense since they can fix just about anything (they have a paint shop, a building with lifts to work on the chassis, etc.).

As a bonus its nice and warm (for Northern IN, and Michigan) so I didn't have to dig the Axis out of the snow at the storage lot.

(One of the techs mentioned that they had just renovated the waiting area last year.)
Old 02-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
been to Wakarusa several times, a couple for warranty service, and a couple for both the Thor Motor Coach factory tour, and just an overnight stop over.

the service center is where the workers KNOW the products they are working on, not like a dealer who might sell and service many different brands. these workers are very in touch with how the factory builds each unit and installs the products for each. they have the parts and supplies on hand and don't have to wait on 'ordering' any warranty parts since the parts warehouse is across the street.
the service center has the room for any type of work or repair, has a great waiting room if you need it, and brings you coach back out to you when the work day is over. they have 20+ parking sites, with electric and shared water between each, and a dump station out front, though you could fit another several coaches behind the sites if needed - plenty of room for everyone and the sites are paved.

Wakarusa downtown is small, but has a library with internet, several shops and restaurants, and outside of town is McDs - as well as the Factory across the street from the service center.
a short drive 10 miles or so down the road is Napannee, home to a larger supply of options, and Newmar, which also has a great factory tour.

the service center also has some perks(shhhh, don't tell!)... they may give you some 'extras' during your work day(wink, wink)... they replaced our water pump just because I mentioned it was a little louder than I liked, and cut us a larger sewer plate hole because I mentioned that the original was a little too small, etc. all this was just in a conversation with the nice worker who was assigned to our coach, not due to any warranty work I had scheduled for... sweet. ( and not a dime in cost )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam
the service center is where the workers KNOW the products they are working on, not like a dealer who might sell and service many different brands. these workers are very in touch with how the factory builds each unit and installs the products for each. they have the parts and supplies on hand and don't have to wait on 'ordering' any warranty parts since the parts warehouse is across the street.
Yeah this is why I wanted them to look at our leak.
Quote:
the service center also has some perks(shhhh, don't tell!)... they may give you some 'extras' during your work day(wink, wink)... they replaced our water pump just because I mentioned it was a little louder than I liked, and cut us a larger sewer plate hole because I mentioned that the original was a little too small, etc. all this was just in a conversation with the nice worker who was assigned to our coach, not due to any warranty work I had scheduled for... sweet. ( and not a dime in cost )
Technically my repairs aren't warranty as I'm 3 years out from purchase so I really didn't ask them to do a lot. We'll see what they do when I get it back (hopefully later today as I don't expect my small leak to take much time--unless they have to do some digging: like remove the bunk to take the window out).
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Update: Not sitting in the waiting room anymore LOL. They gave me an update about 10am: Its going to take more than a day and they won't be able to put it back together enough for me to overnight in it. Huh? really...ok

A quick call to Enterprise...now I'm back home with an extra car for a day or two !

There was about 6 people in the "campground" there waiting for service this morning. Some with minor issues and some with major (a guy there with a water leak that was going to take 2-3 weeks to fix!).

So far everyone I've spoken to there has been very nice and responsive to any questions.

Even the fellow campers last night who had setup a portable campfire! LOL
Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #17

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Update: Not sitting in the waiting room anymore LOL. They gave me an update about 10am: Its going to take more than a day and they won't be able to put it back together enough for me to overnight in it. Huh? really...ok

A quick call to Enterprise...now I'm back home with an extra car for a day or two !

There was about 6 people in the "campground" there waiting for service this morning. Some with minor issues and some with major (a guy there with a water leak that was going to take 2-3 weeks to fix!).

So far everyone I've spoken to there has been very nice and responsive to any questions.

Even the fellow campers last night who had setup a portable campfire! LOL

At least you know that it will be fixed correctly. It will be as good as new!

Keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Just talked to them: Looks like it will be done this afternoon, but they want some time to rain test it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
All done. Here I am camping at Thor:

Here is the building where they worked on our Axis: Google Streetview (Click here).

Everything worked out today for picking up the Axis. Even the freeway closing accident I saw was on the other side of the freeway (and cleared up by the time I had to go that way).

The Thor guys are really thorough but they only go through things that you mention--keep that in mind that if you want them to look at something you have to mention it to them (just saying as I do have some minor things that could have been taken care of had they noticed but they are minor enough that I will DIY them and not pay the $100/hr Thor rate: Note that we're two years past the end of the warranty period).

The pickup process is pretty slick: The tech who worked on your coach gives you a walk through of everything they did. In my case with our leaky passenger window damaging the wall he did the following:
  • Loosened the bottom window trim to gain access to the wall
  • Open up and remove the wet wall section, examining the substructure beneath
  • Let the remaining structure dry overnight (no real damage to the wood or the aluminum framing, it was just wet; this was why I couldn't stay the night in it)
  • Bond on new wall with matching wallpaper
  • Retighten the window trim (he said that a lot of the window screws were loose so he tightened them all up--and checked the driver's window as well tightening them up too)
  • Examine all the known leak points and seal: Around both windows, where the front cap joins with the coach, all the clearance lights on top, the rear-view mirror mounts (which he found the mirror mounts were also loose)
  • In addition he said that there is also a leak point in the front wheel well where, if not sealed properly, water can get in the walls from the bottom--he sealed that up too
So at this point I think the front of our Axis is the most waterproof of any Axis/Vegas out there! (At least the ones that haven't been through this process--the invoice does say "Standard Check Procedure" so they must do this for all the units coming in complaining of a leak.)

You can't tell that anything was done there; the new panel looks identical to the undamaged one on the drivers side (granted if you know where the seams are you can tell--he pointed them out to me during the walk through).

Given this experience I cannot recommend Thor's factory service enough: If you are having issues and can make it to Wakarusa, IN don't go anywhere else!

I know if we need any other major work done this will be the first place I think of for doing it...
Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #20

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

I read your final report with great interest, especially the following:

"In addition he said that there is also a leak point in the front wheel well where, if not sealed properly, water can get in the walls from the bottom--he sealed that up too".

Do you know where that leak point is?????

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote