Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
Faux Leatherette

I have a 2013 Hurricane 29x with the faux leather driver & passenger seat and the dining booth. I have noticed it is cracking and peeling. Is anyone else having the same problem and know of a repair or where to get replacement (maybe even covers)? Thank you Thor for using cheap material!

Old 11-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We have some friends that have a newer toy hauler fiver, their interior furniture is doing the same thing and it is not a Thor. Wondering if several manufacturers are getting this material from same supplier.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
We have some friends that have a newer toy hauler fiver, their interior furniture is doing the same thing and it is not a Thor. Wondering if several manufacturers are getting this material from same supplier.
Reading through different Rv forums, the leatherette problem seems to be a common theme with many manufacturers.

I wonder this is a problem of the suppliers of the furniture that is used by many coach builders.

My motorhome has fabric on all seats and I have no problem with this. The fake leather and the temperature environment in many motorhomes may not go very well with each other.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Reading through different Rv forums, the leatherette problem seems to be a common theme with many manufacturers.

I wonder this is a problem of the suppliers of the furniture that is used by many coach builders.

My motorhome has fabric on all seats and I have no problem with this. The fake leather and the temperature environment in many motorhomes may not go very well with each other.
You are probably correct, that it is a manufacturer/supplier quality problem.
Just use cheap stuff and the owner will eventually replace it with better. I'll need to get then reupholstered. I'm afraid of what that is going to run....may go to fabric.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Winnebago Industries
Hope this is a help.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yeah, my sofa is doing it.

My short term solution has been to put a dab of a fabric glue on the failing spot before it gets too big....figuring it'll seal the edges and maybe keep things together a bit longer.

I did some research and found out who makes the furniture for Thor, and gave them a call. Sorry, don't remember the specifics just now, of who it was and so forth.... I'm pretty sure I made a post here about it though....

I did confirm that they still make the pattern for mine, and in the same color
but I would have to go to dealer for price.
I called, it was expensive.
I also confirmed that they will not make the same pattern in a better material or in a real leather.
Had an interesting and frank conversation with the person. This cheap stuff is really driven by the manufacturer....they are just making to spec.
I was told the standard fabric is much better, being the same type of stuff used for household furniture. But this leatherette stuff will only last barely as long as the warranty.

Long term, I plan to be on the look out for a slip cover for the sofa, maybe the next time we are at an Ikea, and will likely get some automotive covers for the cab seats at some point too....
Old 11-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We had our Tuscany for several years, same pleather material. I used vinyl cleaner about once a month that I got from auto parts store, still looked new and good when we sold the MH, and we used it a lot!