Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 01:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16338
Sun protection

Buying a new Motorhome from Camping World. One of the things they trying to sell me additionally is a $1900 sealer to protect against sunlight etc. I’m in California. Did I need this? Is it money well spent or just a waste?

Old 08-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

Don't know if the sealer works or not but sun damage to RV's is a real thing.

When in storage we keep all the windows covered and over winter the entire RV is covered.

We had a 5th wheel for 10 years: UV faded the outside, faded all the wallpaper inside, destroyed the decals, and turned all the vents brittle (a hailstorm then destroyed them--replaced them all with fantastic fans).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:21 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Sun damage does happen, but you can apply wax, F11, or the like yourself for a lot less money.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickpatrick View Post
Buying a new Motorhome from Camping World. One of the things they trying to sell me additionally is a $1900 sealer to protect against sunlight etc. I’m in California. Did I need this? Is it money well spent or just a waste?
Snake oil and profit generator for the dealer! DO NOT PURCHASE A SEALER PACKAGE!!! Good quality wax and a little elbow grease will accomplish the same thing a LOT cheaper! Save your money for something useful!
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Mine did NOT WORK. WASTE OF $$ !
... I would not leave till they refunded my $$. Looked like a 12 yr. Old waxed my rig. They did refund the whole amount. Welcome to the Forum!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickpatrick View Post
We bought a similar package thinking that it would make a difference like some of the "Teflon" applications that are on regular automobile finishes. We had a contract employee come to the house and applied wax by hand... no orbital buffer. Our front cap oxidized terribly before the first year was up. The policy actually paid to have the front cap painted minus the deductible. Next, the rear cap was becoming oxidized. Contract detailer came out and buffed it to a gloss finish which didn't last more than a few months. I agree with the other post on not purchasing the policy because it sort of gives you the idea that they will keep your finish as it was when brand new. Parking the rig in the sun, especially one that does not have full body paint is a finish killer along with any exposed rubber, curtains (ours fell apart before the first year was up), etc. I would invest in a professional detailer or a professional orbital buffer and good quality oxidation remover/wax.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I agree with the "snake oil" comment. The original owners of our ws31 bought several of the extra BS the dealer offered. We managed to get $600 bucks out of them for the cheap vinyl deteriorating on the cab seats. I wish I had stuck to my original wish when purchasing. I really wanted full body paint. The DW talked me out of it... :/