Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Unhappy Radio Removal E350 Chassis Class C

First off, I have a little more in my tool box besides a cell phone, duct tape, and WD40. With that introduction the "I'd call Thor Customer Service" responses are unnecessary. I think this was a dealer aftermarket installation.

I need to get to the blown 10amp blade fuse on the back side of my radio, a Pioneer FH-Z500UI. I pulled the engine cowl to gain access to the back of the radio, but there is no way to get behind it. I can not even tell what type of mounting system was used. I have tried inspection mirrors but they too have little room to maneuver. My only conclusion is that the radio must have been installed from the front side of the panel. So there must be some trick to releasing it.

The Pioneer on line installation manual just says to mount the radio and primarily deals with wiring and operation. I studied the manual and downloaded it. I have tried twice now on two different days with a thought day in between to see how to get it out without success. Any audio people out there with a clue on this issue. I'm ready to try a shaped charge or wrapping it with primer chord.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is a link to a You Tube video of installation. It looks like it screws/bolts in. Is there side pieces of trim that snap off to give access to the angled pieces with the bolt holes?

Sorry - wrong model. I'll try searching again.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
look for some holes in the face frame/plate.
Some of these things have little holes on each side, in which you stick a "tool" which is nothing more than some stiff wire. It disengages a catch and the unit pushes out against the wires pushing in..... sorta like when you'd stick a paperclip in the old computer CD drives to eject the disk when the power was off.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

THOR #908
like this maybe
https://youtu.be/SvHUJx5kygo
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

THOR #4656
No holes in face plate. Does not look like std. Ford. I've had 4 fords 2010 and up. Nothing like this.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

THOR #2601
The manual definitely shows that it is bolt in. So you'd think there was some way that fascia, trim, or dash front would come off to get to the bolts. Even the wrong video I found is also a bolt in the same way. And those curved trim pieces definitely swing to the side to get access to the bolts.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

THOR #4656
Nope.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #8

THOR #4656
Picture of the problem.Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer radio.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2888
Old 09-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4950
Trim plate "should" snap off, be careful. Then you will need one of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I doubt that the dealer left you with the proper removal tool.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #10

THOR #4656
Thanks for the info. Will try again on the face plate then if successful will order removal tools. Kind of like having a set of lock picks.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

THOR #2601
If you are successful getting the faceplate off, I think you will find that the radio is actually bolted in. The manual showed two mount brackets on each side and the attachment hardware listed were machine screws. It's a different model but I suspect it mounts just like the one in the video in the thread posted above.

I don't think you are going to need the magic cables, unlocking devices, or other tools to disengage snaps when a radio is slid into the cavity.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 09-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #12

THOR #4656
Manual also shows a front slide in mount that is secured by bending tabs into position and the radio then slides in and locks in place. This is what I can see with mirrors under the panel. There would be no room to screw/bolt in the other set of mounts you mentioned. When I get the SOB out I'll post the results for inquiring minds to add to their pile of trivia.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
You first have to pull off the grey plate with the vents. Typically they are just snapped in. Once that comes off the radio should have 2 bolts on each side. The black plastic trim peice is just trim. Need to get to the bolts.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #14

THOR #4656
The gray plate with the vents to which you refer is the entire dash one piece panel which would involve the instrument cluster. I doubt very much if it needs to be removed. Again, inspection mirrors show no bolts or screws mounting the radio. We'll see when I finally get it out.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #15

THOR #4656
And the answer is, I gave up and took it to a car audio shop. 20 minutes later the radio was removed, fuse replaced, and reinstalled. Cost me $25 even and I watched the process. I could now do it myself but would take a little longer than the 20 minutes the tech took, but not much.

The deal is on a modern (2015) E350/450 Super Duty Chassis the entire dash fascia from the left of the steering wheel to the glove box must be removed. It's all one piece. I was surprised to find it simply snaps off the dash panel all the plug in switches disconnected and then the radio is held in by 4 bolts. The panel surrounding the radio is not removable, it is the actual mount. Thanks to all who guessed and gave me ideas on how to remove it.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #16

THOR #908
hey, thanks for the update. Always good to know the final solution!

Sometimes it is just better to let the folks that know what they are doing to do it.... and stick with what you are good at. I think this is a concept that do-it-yourself folks like me struggle with sometimes, and we make things worse in the process, sometimes breaking things and spending more $.... all in the name of saving $1