Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #6466
First trip - de-winterizing and re-winterizing on the road

HI folks. I've learned a lot around here in a short period of time, and I'm hoping to pick the collective brain a bit. I'm headed out for my first trip with my Vegas 25.2 next week. Yay! It's going to be below freezing here until after I leave. Boo. The RV was winterized by the dealer. I believe they have antifreeze in the water lines - I'll be sure to check with the dealer when I pick up the Vegas from having the brake controller installed.

Question 1: I'm planning to stop on the way to North Carolina to fill up with water. We're OK with bottled water for drinking and cooking. For showering, is it enough to run water through all the taps until the antifreeze is all flushed out (skipping a full sanitization)?

Question 2: I'll need to drain the water and blow out all the lines before we leave NC. I'll have access to a compressor so that's not a problem. Given that we're almost into April and unlikely to see anything worse than the teens in Buffalo, NY, do you think I'm OK with just a blow-out? Should I re-fill with anti-freeze?

Thanks in advance all!

Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Yes run fresh water thru system until it's clear. When you winterize again open all the low point drained, don't forget the water heater. Blow out lines one at a time with compressor set at 45-55 psi until clear, don't forget shower and any outside faucets you may have. Pour anti-freeze in all the drains and run some thru the water pump. Make sure black and gray tanks are drained too.

Have a fun and safe trip!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I keep a compressor onboard and have the fitting so I connect the air line to the city water line. Also the fitting has a very small hole. I drilled it out a little bit for more air flow but still keep it under 50psi. I think I use 40psi. I don't use antifreeze at all. I only blow out the lines. I do pour antifreeze in the drains. Also Make sure to drain the water tank.